Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Why the hate for Diego Sanchez?

2K views 29 replies 25 participants last post by  SuzukS 
#1 ·
He gets booed on a pretty regular basis. He is a good entertaining fighter...and a seemingly nice guy...but for some reason he doesn't click with MMA fans.

Including me. I have a irrational dislike for Diego but I really can't put my finger on why. :dunno:

#3 ·
a couple of reasons.
1) His Kos fight. That fight pissed me off so much I wanna punch my tv even thinking about it.
2)He is crazy. Not like a funny crazy like Mayhem is, but like creepy crazy. He thinks God is like blessing him with uber power or something. Other fighters thank God which is cool, but he seems to think he is God or something.
3)He seems like a prick. If you look at him without really listening to him or watching him fight, you will imediatly think he is someone who thinks he's too cool for school or something
Those are the main 3 reasons I originally disliked him. He is exciting though :thumb02:

#4 ·
Arlovski_Fan said:
a couple of reasons.
1) His Kos fight. That fight pissed me off so much I wanna punch my tv even thinking about it.
2)He is crazy. Not like a funny crazy like Mayhem is, but like creepy crazy. He thinks God is like blessing him with uber power or something. Other fighters thank God which is cool, but he seems to think he is God or something.
3)He seems like a prick. If you look at him without really listening to him or watching him fight, you will imediatly think he is someone who thinks he's too cool for school or something
Those are the main 3 reasons I originally disliked him. He is exciting though :thumb02:
yeah he acts like he sucks up a little extra energy that god gives him and nobody else before he fights with that prayer hand raising shit

#12 ·
i am not a big fan, but i gotta give him the respect he deserves.
i'm the first one to admit his prayer hands are just retarded
he is a little bit creepy at times

but, he is a great fighter, with good subs, and if he didnt have a staph infection he would have fucked KOS.
i'm also mad because he is engaged to ali sonoma

#13 ·
cabby said:
Its gotta be the cheesy prayer hands thing before he fights
is it even a prayer....i thought i was a form of meditation??? im at a loss for that guy

#14 ·
khaldun007 said:
i am not a big fan, but i gotta give him the respect he deserves.
i'm the first one to admit his prayer hands are just retarded
he is a little bit creepy at times

but, he is a great fighter, with good subs, and if he didnt have a staph infection he would have fucked KOS.
i'm also mad because he is engaged to ali sonoma
should have would have could have.....belong no where but in boxing my friend.....and possibly womens figure skating :D

#15 ·
I hate it when athletes give it all up to God. "Please God give me the strength to knee this man in the head until he is unconscious" . As if God gives a damn. Is there PPV in heaven? I'd rather cheer for someone who appreciates his career and his victories for what they are; a result of hard work and heart.

#16 ·
I'm a big fan of Diegos, pretty much everyone in my family is. Quit hating. :cool:

#17 ·
I have to say "HATE" is definatly the right word, I haven't seen a single comment that gives any real reason why you guys don't like Diego.

He's a douche and a jerk that has beaten some quality opponents and made for some exciting fights.

Who cares if he prays before a fight or gives goofy post fight interviews, isn't it all about what you do between the bells.

#19 ·
Agressive WINNERS get hated, and hated by lesser men who can't deal with the aggression.
Diego is my fav, and all the haters can just go love on Karo or something and sympathize with his tooth that Diego KNEE'd out of his face.
Oh sure he lost to cupcheck, or cupcake or carpet layer, but the fact is he may have lost, but no one has beat HIM like he has beat others.

The HATERS hate that, don't ya haters?
Gotta dis the man's beliefs, gotta call him names, but not gonna be man enough to do it to his face, nor I guess admit his skill level huh? that's ok, he is still gonna be a winner even with all the hater's......he can carry that load.

#22 ·
cabby said:
Its gotta be the cheesy prayer hands thing before he fights
That's not a prayer- he's doing the end of a 'sun salutation'. Once or twice the film of him backstage has shown him doing the whole thing.

Check out this video- you can see the 'cheesy prayer thing' at the end:

YouTube - Surya Namaskara A - Demo by Russell Case

It's actually a very good warm up, with a mixture of cardio, strength and flexibility work, and it gives you a head rush from the way you breath and the fact that your head is below your heart for a lot of the time.

That being said, from what I've seen, Diego's yoga is very sloppy. I would kick Diego's ass in a yoga fight :)

#24 ·
I'll give the same reason the Leben haters give, he just rubs me the wrong way. I can't give you a single reason as much as a bunch of little ones. While I give the guy credit for what he has done I really do not think that highly of him and I hope Fitch makes him 19-2. WAR FITCH!!!

#26 ·
grapplegod said:
I have to say "HATE" is definatly the right word, I haven't seen a single comment that gives any real reason why you guys don't like Diego.

He's a douche and a jerk that has beaten some quality opponents and made for some exciting fights.

Who cares if he prays before a fight or gives goofy post fight interviews, isn't it all about what you do between the bells.

I feel the same way, I do have favorites and fighters I don’t like as well but not because they represent something I agree/disagree with outside of the ring. Love him or hate him he is a good fighter and still improving his game.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.