Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

What Shall I Use?

587 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  UseOf_A_Weapon 
#1 ·
Im young, 18. I have been a member of my gym for a while now but now looking to bulk up. What protein should I be using. I have used Whey Protein in the past but its shit for me.

Can anyone reccommed a good protein? Maybe a good brand like Maxi Muslce or USN? Im looking to get a good physique without being huge like your John Cena of todays world.

#2 ·
Yeah, you need roids to get like those guys. Stick with the whey. What do you mean it's shit for you? Does it not work, or does it just taste bad? The thing is, most whey powders taste like crap, but you have to find what's easiest to choke down. I found EAS to be a good brand. That's the only brand I'd buy for a few years.
If the problem is it's just not working, it's not the protein. You need to be lifting heavy, low reps, several sets. Don't just do isolation lifts. Try compound lifts.
Take branch-chain amino acids to aid in muscle repair and growth. Also take a multi vitamin. Any multi is good if it has a USP stamp on the label. It just means that it is US Pharmacopeia approved and regulated.

Most important... What sport are you training for? Are you training for a sport or just to get big? Evaluate your goals and train specifically for them. If you're just trying to get big, go to bodybuilding.com. This isn't really the place for bodybuilders.

#3 ·
Whey isnt shit. Almost all professional athletes will take whey in some form or another.

You should be taking whey immiediatly after workouts and first thing in the morning, if your not then your taking it at the wrong time and it will be shit.

You will also want to be taking a casien protein immiediatly before bed, that will ensure your sleep period is as anabolic (muscle building) as possible.

Glutamine is also very good for muscle recovery, i would reconmend buying it in pill form and taking it after workouts on workout days and first thing in the morning on non workout days.

If your not succeeding when doing all that then your diet probably sucks. I was incredibly skinny and couldnt gain much weight or strength until I seriosly looked at my diet, now i eat specific foods at specific times and i have complete controll over my weight. Im at a steady 13 stone and im gaining strength constantly!

#4 ·
Can anyone reccommed a good protein? Maybe a good brand like Maxi Muslce or USN?
Those brands make supplements.

You grow by eating food.

Protein rich food: Eggs, Cottage Cheese, Steak, Lean Ground Beef, Tuna, Salmon, Egg whites, Quark, Chicken, and others

Forget supplements!

...until you've nailed your diet.

Your diet?

Try having a meal every 2-3 hours. Consisting of some protein, more carbs, and a little fat. adjust it according to your daily activies.

#6 ·
also, since you are young, it could be your metabolism as well. im 23 and my metabolism is intense. its a struggle for me to maintain 145 at 6' tall. of course, i dont want to be large (im happy at 145, i just have to work to stay there) and i also only eat organic, sustainable foods.

you might try cutting out caffiene as that can cut your appetite and raise your metabolism further- in addition to what the previous posts have said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.