MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - I Need More Power!

View Single Post

Old 10-07-2006, 11:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Onganju
Outta My Head

Onganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozz525
what about holding weights in your hands does that help hand speed to
Yes they can. Infact, many fighters train using that exact method as part of their routine. In my own esperience, you can usually get a way from using the wrist weights or dumbells if you train with huge 16 oz. boxing gloves. If you think about it, that's an extra pound on each hand. Once that's shed, your hands will feel lightning quick.

If you also decide to shadow box with dumbells in each hand, that's also a good way to use weights to develope hand speed. The things that must be kept in mind about that is two-fold:

1) You don't need extreme amounts of weight. To be completely honest, anything more than 3 pounds isn't going to help much as you're not going to be wearing more than a 4 oz glove if you actually fight. Also, you are using the extra weight to build speed and muscle endurance. Anything else will promote the growth of mass, which isn't necessarily a good thing.

2) If you use a little extra weight, shadow box in a controlled fashion and try not to throw your punches to complete extension. Doing so can be a recipe for injury and joint strain. The reason why you can throw solid full-force punches into a heavy bag or focus mitt is that there is an object stopping your fist from continuing on. When shadow boxing, there is no such barrier and the only thing that will stop your limbs from continuing on is your own connective tissues.

Queng leon queng tigre ecu tacacut, queca pa? - Pampangan Mandarigma Motto

My Blog <--READ IT!
Onganju is offline   Reply With Quote