Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Riggs=Overrated

1K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  MMA1990 
#1 ·
This is kind of in responce to the Riggs vs Diego thread. Im just wondering why do so many people think Riggs will win this fight he's so overrated. He has a lot of wins but who has he foughten and beaten who's so impressive. Yes he did beat Kendall but Kendall is still evolving as a fighter and yes he did beat Nick Diaz but that fight was sort of close (although Riggs definatly got the decision). When he fights any skilled fighter with a ground game look what happens to him. All his losses in the UFC have been done by guys who easily defeated him. Heres a few guys he's lost to pathetically Ivan Salaverry via submission in 2:42 of the 1st round, Matt Hughes via submission in 3:48 of the 1st round and Mike Swick via submission in 2:19 of the 1st round, see a patern here? and of course after he losses he makes excuses "I was'nt fighting like I usally do!" Its funny how he never fights the way he should aginst a legit fighter. Diego's a very good figter and as always Riggs will say that theres no way he can losse and than he'll be submitted in the 1st round and have an excuse.Riggs is certainly not a bad fighter in fact I think he's an alright fighter but he's seriosuly overrated. This is only my opinion so dont get offanded just prove me wrong.

#2 ·
I haven't seen the other thread but I think Diego will take Riggs. Diego just seems to get better and better as he goes along. Riggs is a solid, young fighter. I just think this is a step back for Diego after beating Karo Parisyan, who at the time was considered the #4 WW in the world. I'm not a Diego fan, but I can't deny his skill and potential.

#3 · (Edited)
Riggs is getting better. I like that the UFC is giving him a long leash. They project guys like him and Diaz to be eventual champions so it's nice to see them getting better with each match, earning the distinction. They could've given up on them after their first few PPV losses but as time goes on I think people are starting to see their abilities improve.

Riggs certainly isn't at the same level as the top-5 WW guys (Hughes, St. Pierre, Penn, Sanchez, Parisian) right now. That division is very deep at the top. I think the UFC expects him to get there eventually, though. He's still pretty young.

I'd like to see him fight Josh Koscheck. That would be a good test for both of those guys.

#5 ·
MMA1990-

Did you happen to see the salaverry fight? Riggs was doing a great job till he got caught with an up kick that basically knocked him out and he fell into a triangle. Ivan Salavery is a top fighter imo.

Riggs has the skill and the tools he just never seems to put it together. He has moved over to MFS and he trains with Jeremy Horn's group in Utah. He should be putting it all together in the near future and making a pretty good run. Riggs is solid and only like 23 or 24 he will be around for a long time.

That being said I hate to say but Diego wins by GnP

#6 ·
Common now guys, Riggs has a win over Herb Dean!! HAha...
Seriously though, now that Riggs has moved over to MFS and training with the likes of Horn and Hughes, i think it's only a matter of time before we see his game greatly improved. He is an exciting fighter and has great potential and I hope we see much more of him in the future. Riggs vs Sanchez though? I gotta go with Diego.

#7 ·
His losses to Salaverry and Swick are anything but pathetic. They're two great fighters, and obviously Riggs has been prone to make mistakes (leaving his face wide open when trying to land a leaping punch on Salaverry, leaving his neck wide open after shooting on Swick), but those are two losses to two very tough fighters.

I'm not counting Riggs out. The guy has power, and he can only improve by working with the people that he does.

#9 ·
MMA1990 said:
This is kind of in responce to the Riggs vs Diego thread. Im just wondering why do so many people think Riggs will win this fight he's so overrated. He has a lot of wins but who has he foughten and beaten who's so impressive. Yes he did beat Kendall but Kendall is still evolving as a fighter and yes he did beat Nick Diaz but that fight was sort of close (although Riggs definatly got the decision). When he fights any skilled fighter with a ground game look what happens to him. All his losses in the UFC have been done by guys who easily defeated him. Heres a few guys he's lost to pathetically Ivan Salaverry via submission in 2:42 of the 1st round, Matt Hughes via submission in 3:48 of the 1st round and Mike Swick via submission in 2:19 of the 1st round, see a patern here? and of course after he losses he makes excuses "I was'nt fighting like I usally do!" Its funny how he never fights the way he should aginst a legit fighter. Diego's a very good figter and as always Riggs will say that theres no way he can losse and than he'll be submitted in the 1st round and have an excuse.Riggs is certainly not a bad fighter in fact I think he's an alright fighter but he's seriosuly overrated. This is only my opinion so dont get offanded just prove me wrong.
well we all know who you are routing for lol...

#10 ·
who said riggs was rated at all? im a fan of his, the dudes an animal, and as ive said before hes got cement hands, he def. is a force, but not enough to say hed be champion. I dont think anyone has boasted about him beatin Hughes, or anyone really so why is he over rated? At anything I'd say hes under rated and overlooked. If hes on top of his game, he'd be hard to stop, hes too dedicated to what he does to be over rated. For crying out loud the guy was once a heavyweight lol but with the proper training from Billy Rush and all those guys he is in top shape.........if he can pick up afew wins, esp one over Diego, to boos his confidence then he'll be pretty successfull......You all also forget that he just recently turned 24....so hes got a LONG career ahead of him......dont sell him short just yet

#13 ·
i think riggs is overrated he's a cocky bastard that obviously doesn't deserve a shot at the title anytime soon since he has already had it didn't make the required weight and still got beat in the 1st round by hughes

riggs=:thumbsdown:

#14 ·
I honestly just think Riggs chokes, he seems to do really well in fights that are less covered or aren't a big event, then can't seem to do a thing when its go time in a big fight

#16 ·
libertywrestler said:
i think riggs is overrated he's a cocky bastard that obviously doesn't deserve a shot at the title anytime soon since he has already had it didn't make the required weight and still got beat in the 1st round by hughes

riggs=:thumbsdown:
exactly, anyone who gets a title shot and cant make weight is a loser.

#19 ·
kamikaze145 said:
He is a little overrated but he always puts on a good fight and never goes to a decision. He is still solid though and a good athlete. I think when he matures some as a fighter he will be a top 5 or 10 welterweight, even if he doesnt he is still fun to watch.
He want to decsion aginst Nick Diaz but regaurdless it was a good fight. As for putting on a good show when he losses it happens too fast to make for a good showing IMO but when he wins it's defiantly an exciting fight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.