Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

UFC Quick Quotes: Dana White likes Roger Huerta, Bill Goldberg not so much

2K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  Deadpool 
#1 ·
ufcmania.com

“Roger got into the UFC, and I was like, Holy shit, this kid is an animal. He’s got looks. He’s got smarts. He’s got an amazing story. And he fights like a dog. This kid is a home run, and he’s a big reason we’re thinking about [staging a card] in Latin America.”
– UFC President Dana White talks about lightweight Roger Huerta in a recent SportsIllustrated.com feature article. “El Matador” does indeed have quite a life story — check out the SI write up to learn more about it if for some reason you haven’t read it 100 times already (it’s good no matter how many times you read it). Huerta will fight Clay Guida during the main event of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 6 Finale on December 8.
***​
“Tell Goldberg to quit ******* crying. Just because I do it bigger and better than everyone else does, doesn’t mean I’m trying to monopolize. This isn’t a monopoly. Everyone who can rub two nickels together is getting into this sport. Mark Cuban just jumped in. I’ll tell you what, there have been other people who have tried to compete with Vince and they couldn’t. there’s a big difference. They couldn’t compete with Vince because Vince would beat their ass every time someone tried to jump into his arena. And I’m doing the same ******* thing. If he’s saying that about me; thank you then, I look at that as a compliment.”
– During a one-on-one interview with TheMassMedia.com White talks about the explosive growth of mixed martial arts and the UFC in particular. He takes exception to claims from former pro wrestler and current EliteXC ringside announcer, Bill Goldberg, that White is similar to the WWE’s Vince McMahon in that he wants to monopolize his respective industry.

#4 ·
Deadpool said:
Bill Goldberg's faults aside, I doubt I'll ever be able to fully forgive the UFC for assisting the imminent downfall of Pride.
shit son if i bought pride it would have still gone down the shitter

#6 ·
Damone said:
Pride would've died anyway.

Agreed. Pride wouldn't have been up for sale if they weren't in trouble. People seem to make it out like the white devil Dana came in and stole the thing.
They were for sale, and for a good reason.

#8 ·
wukkadb said:
I really want Guida to destroy Huerta.
Either one is fine for me, it's just one of those deals where you know both of em are slammin down heat, it won't be a snoozer. But anyways, what the hell market can the Guida reach? I'm feeling bad for him with this Dana/Roger love.

The latin-america PR deal won't sound so welcoming if Roger gets destroyed, lot ridin on this!

#12 ·
Damone said:
Whoa, you hate Frank Shamrock?

Now I want Guida to wear a shirt that says, "I put a Huertin' on him!"
this is general knowledge lol.....i respect frank.....but i dont like him....

you know wut i wouldnt mind that shirt

although noone would know wut i was referring to

but id know

#15 ·
ok ok fine let the hate continue

but if roger beats guida.....in convincing fashion

will you give him some props

#18 ·
Am I the only one who atually agrees the Dana does want to be the Vince McMahon of MMA?? Think about it he revolutionized the sport as he is the guy that has legitimized MMA as a sport in North America and changed the way it is veiwed by the media much the same way Vince McMahon took wrestling from a red neck pastime to part of the pop culture. They both bought there largest competitior when the were in financial duress and at the brink of going under. Both see the only purpose of other organizations as being A training grounds for them or places to dump the guys they dont want. Dana seems to enjoy being seen on camera and having all eyes on me. I actually 100%AGREE WITH Golberg.

#21 ·
Deadpool said:
Not to be too far off topic but theUFC was purchased by the Zuffata team for what, 2 million? Think of their current fiscal numbers, there is no way that a corporate machine like that would have failed to rejuvinate Pride in some way.
Um, you realized that UFC was dead in the water when they purchased it, right? Purchasing it for $2 million (if that's the case), says nothing about how much it cost to turn UFC into a revenue generating enterprise.

Besides, whether or not they could have saved Pride has little to do with whether or not Pride, in its state at the time of purchase, was worth saving.

#22 ·
That's my point. The UFC was dead in the water at the time of purchase. The organization was revamped and marketed wonderfully. Consider the amount of exposure Pride had in the market it was in, I find it laughable that a group of investors that were so successful with the dead UFC could have done nothing to curtail the fall of that organization.

I think the fact of the matter is that it was easier to absorb the talent from Pride. As exciting as that is for us now, I think history will view it as a mistake.

#23 · (Edited)
Deadpool said:
That's my point. The UFC was dead in the water at the time of purchase. The organization was revamped and marketed wonderfully. Consider the amount of exposure Pride had in the market it was in, I find it laughable that a group of investors that were so successful with the dead UFC could have done nothing to curtail the fall of that organization.
The UFC was dead in the water due to external forces. Pride was dead in the water due to internal and external forces and had an entirely different market. Totally different ballgame.

I think the fact of the matter is that it was easier to absorb the talent from Pride. As exciting as that is for us now, I think history will view it as a mistake.
It would have been easier to let Dreamstage contracts die and pick and choose rather than to dump $70 million on a dead company and inherit contracts ranging from unenforceable to unwanted.

#24 ·
jasvll said:
The UFC was dead in the water due to external forces. Pride was dead in the water due to internal and external forces and had an entirely different market. Totally different ballgame.

It would have been easier to let Dreamstage contracts die and pick and choose rather than to dump $70 million on a dead company and inherit contracts ranging from unenforceable to unwanted.
Definitely an easier route. Remove the competition (regardless of the state it was in, there are plenty of loyal pride fans) and bring in a ton of revenue to eventually balance your purchase.

So you're claiming that it would have been impossible to rebuild the infrastructure of Pride despite the fan base and solid amount of talent left in the organization? I hate to go back to wrestling terms but recall how the WCW (although failing) was more or less assimilated into the WWF. The loss of competition wasn't exactly the best thing for the sport, although it has recovered very well. The WCW and WWF provided two different types of entertainment in their genre. That was a very good thing.

Pride as an organization aside, the regulations of the Pride fights provided a completely unique game that may be in danger in the future because of Zuffa's unwillingness to preserve it.

#25 ·
Deadpool said:
Definitely an easier route. Remove the competition (regardless of the state it was in, there are plenty of loyal pride fans) and bring in a ton of revenue to eventually balance your purchase.
We already discussed the barriers to turning Pride profitable again.

So you're claiming that it would have been impossible to rebuild the infrastructure of Pride despite the fan base and solid amount of talent left in the organization?
No, I said it probably wasn't the best business decision. If it was, that's what would have happened, judging by Zuffa's successful track record.

I hate to go back to wrestling terms but recall how the WCW (although failing) was more or less assimilated into the WWF. The loss of competition wasn't exactly the best thing for the sport, although it has recovered very well. The WCW and WWF provided two different types of entertainment in their genre. That was a very good thing.
What's best for the sport may not be best for Zuffa. Besides, there wasn't much overlap in the UFC and Pride markets, unlike WWF and WCW.

Pride as an organization aside, the regulations of the Pride fights provided a completely unique game that may be in danger in the future because of Zuffa's unwillingness to preserve it.
Um, okay, but I'm not sure what Pride's historical significance has to do with a discussion about Zuffa's fiscal responsibility.

#26 ·
Fedor>all said:
I hope Huerta kicks Guida's ass just to see everyone in this topic ticked off! :laugh:
not me brother not me

cambridge eh im heading out there this weekend

folks wanan buy a new house out there

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.