Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Chris32 training log

1K views 4 replies 1 participant last post by  Chris32 
#1 ·
Background on me:

33 years old, 6 feet tall, 185 pounds, pretty lean/muscular (I used to lift heavy weights but have changed my program and diet and am down from 205 to 185 pounds)

Background in TKD and a little judo but haven’t actively practiced martial arts in about 18 years.

I’m starting with 3 months of kickboxing training and then adding in BJJ training in the new year. (I am recovering from a neck injury due to a car accident several months ago so I can’t grapple yet)

My general strength and conditioning workouts include:

Weight circuits:

Warmup: 20 minutes on treadmill (intervals or mountain climb)
3 x (shoulder press, hanging leg raise, bicep curl) no rest between sets
90 seconds break
3 x (pushups, overhead tricep extension, situps) no rest between sets
90 seconds break
3 x (chin ups, dips, leg raises)

Hill sprints

10 minute warmup jog, strides, stretching

2 x (5 x 80 meter hills with walkback recovery)
Cooldown

Fight specific training

Workout last night consisted of the following:

Warmup
3 five minute rounds of skipping with pushups in between rounds.

Technical work (combinations, striking the pads, technique work)

Partner assisted core work and strikes from the ground

Heavy bag work: Various combinations with partner holding the bag etc

Finished off with a brief discussion on technique, self evaluation etc.

I’ll add workouts as they happen.

Cheers,
Chris

See less See more
#2 ·
Did a couple of weight circuit/treadmill workouts this past week and last night another kickboxing workout at Joslins.

Lots of sparring and heavy bag combinations, leg kicks and technique work. Did some light sparring and technique work with a really proficient/technical fighter (blackbelt). It was a great workout and thankfully I am not as sore today as last time

#3 ·
Trained with Jeff Joslin last night (he taught our advanced kickboxing class)

He was great to train with...It was a great workout with technique, heavy bag (combos and kicks), ring mobility, circuits, plyos etc...

He seems like a cool down to earth guy. His kicks on the heavy bag are insane. Very heavy leg kicks, nearly cuts the full length heavy bag in half LOL...

Cheers,
Chris

#4 ·
Brutal work out today...

3 x 5 minute rounds of skipping with 50 pushups between each round

3 x 10 of chin ups
5 x 5 minute rounds on the heavy bag with 50 reps of various types of core work in between

10 x 10 Combinations with instructor

3 x (squat jumps, lunge walk)

I was toast after the workout...It was awesome...

#5 ·
Haven't updated in a while but have had several great workouts...

Last night was tough as we did 5-6 punch/kick combinations and about 150 heavy leg kicks each leg on the heavy bag...

One example: (I'm left handed) right jab, straight left, right hook, roundhouse kick, jab, straight kick. Repeat 50 times...

My shin/foot are a little bruised/swollen today but it was fun. Massive core work as well. 100 situps between rounds, six three minute rounds of skipping, tons of pushups etc.

It was great!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.