Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

How many time will Silva succesfully defend his Title?

• 1- Rich Will Beat him this weekend

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • 2-4

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • 4-6

Votes: 21 32.8%
  • 6-8

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • 8+

Votes: 7 10.9%

How many times will Anderson Silva defend his Title?

2K views 42 replies 24 participants last post by  yorT 
#1 ·
Many including Silva beleive he will have the title around his waist for a while. I don't know about anybody else but there is hardly any depth in the UFC 185 pound division. With the recent WW aquisition of Swick (whom I thought was the next contender) is now gone as with former stars like Robbie Lawler and unaquired fighters like Kang, Fihlo, Loiseau, Villasenor, Ninja, Frank Trigg etc, there aren't many other people that can be considered contention material.

With that being said if Silva clears out the MW division of the UFC all while keeping the belt, who are they going to feed him that will actually be considered a challenge after he wipes the floor with the top contenders?

Will this lead Anderson to retire if he has nothing left to accomplish?

And is Silva really that good to be able to do all of that?

Discuss

#3 ·
With the way he has been fighting and improving lately i see him defending the title 4 or 5 more times to be honest. With the way the division is he may fight Franklin again after 77 for a third time because of lack of legit contenders, theres Okami (who has a better chance of winning than franklin IMO) and if he loses at 77.... Jason Macdonald.... wow is all i can say to J-Mac.

As far as silva is concerned why retire when he can dominate the division and get a fine paycheck every time he does so?

#4 ·
If that does happen then the UFC will be forced to negotiate with other MW fighters from other organizations. Meaning Dana needs to open his pocket book and offer these fighters a decent amount of money instead of the chump change he likes to offer. Otherwise his Pay-Per-View sells won't amount to shit!

#5 · (Edited)
Yes I could from just sarting since he only has 1 legit defense (lutter didn't count)

I wouldn't say he's very bad at all. The loss to takase was a while ago and the Fly Scissor Heel Hook was out of the blue and no one could have been ready for that (not making excuses), 1 split decision and 1 DQ.

He's not terrible but he is improving at an interstellar rate.

Lotus669 said:
With the way he has been fighting and improving lately i see him defending the title 4 or 5 more times to be honest. With the way the division is he may fight Franklin again after 77 for a third time because of lack of legit contenders, theres Okami (who has a better chance of winning than franklin IMO) and if he loses at 77.... Jason Macdonald.... wow is all i can say to J-Mac.

As far as silva is concerned why retire when he can dominate the division and get a fine paycheck every time he does so?
Well some people aren't always money motivated some just love to compete and Silva seems like he's a competitor and loves to be in with the best.

Also he isn't getting paid too much ($45K) per fight. Not bad but not as much as he should be when he's wearing the belt

Bonnar426 said:
If that does happen then the UFC will be forced to negotiate with other MW fighters from other organizations. Meaning Dana needs to open his pocket book and offer these fighters a decent amount of money instead of the chump change he likes to offer. Otherwise his Pay-Per-View sells won't amount to shit!
I agree, but unfourtunately, thats not in Dana's nature

#6 ·
True, Im not saying hes shit, not at all, Im actually saying he has grown immensly since then. I just found it funny how bad some of his loses were.

Chonan had that fight even before the sub, so it wasnt a flash move or anything.

But yeah I dont see to many people being able to hang with him for a while. And sooner or later theyll convince Hendo to drop.

#7 ·
I'm seeing it like this though southpaw, if Silva See's it as not being competitive anymore and wants to retire why not walk through several fighters for the money and then retire? A smart businessman or anybody really who wants to just take a step back walk away and relax well you wanna have cash I'm sure the man is well off but hey i always say you can never have enough cash in your pocket right? there is no shame in collecting a pay check

#8 ·
I voted 4-6, technically he's defended it twice already, once against Marquardt and another guy who weighed about 10 pounds heavier then Silva probably.

I say Franklin will be his third, then if he gets MacDonald/Okami that should be another, maybe Kampmann will get his shot (which would be a war) but I see him beating Martin as well.

So yeah I say atleast 4-6.

#9 ·
Here is the possible list of contenders that are both signed and unsigned for Silva to fight

Aquired

Yushin Okami
Jason MacDonald
Drew McFedris
Martin Kampmann
Patrick Cote
Thales Leites

There are some good guys, but these are the only ones, that, IMO are legit material.

Unaquired

-Denis Kang (Heroes)
-Fihlo (WEC MW Champion)
-Robbie Lawler (EliteXC & Icon Sport MW Champion)
-Murilio Ninja Rua (Former EliteXC MW Champion)
-Frank Trigg (??)
-Dan Henderson (Sounds like he won't be fighting under the UFC banner again let alone at 185)
-Matt Lindland (Bodog :dunno: )
-Cung Le (EliteXC)
-Frank Shamrock (highly doubtful)

#12 ·
Lotus669 said:
I'm seeing it like this though southpaw, if Silva See's it as not being competitive anymore and wants to retire why not walk through several fighters for the money and then retire? A smart businessman or anybody really who wants to just take a step back walk away and relax well you wanna have cash I'm sure the man is well off but hey i always say you can never have enough cash in your pocket right? there is no shame in collecting a pay check
Gotta agree with ya, if your going through the division and are still able to fight; why not take the paycheck? Dana will just keep on paying for his services, and Silva will provide us with more interesting fights. The only draw back that I see later in his career he may tarnish his reputation if he gets knocked out a couple of times, but I guess that sets him up for a come back.

#13 ·
me neither I'm rather surprised by the votes actually i like rich stand up guy and a great spokesman for the sport.... but Silva is a beast and i don't think franklin can stand with him nor can he work a ground game with him either which is a shame because i like the guy and i don't wanna see him get mauled like last time... always makes me cringe lol

#14 ·
I'm Wondering; What is Rich going to bring to the table for Silva?

Seriously Rich is a nice guy. I met him at a GNC a year or two ago and he's a very down to earth guy.

But

Silva seems like he would outclass him in every aspect of the fight game.

Silva's striking is head and shoulders better than Rich. Rich has that loopy overhand right that just never seems to land and do damage and it leaves him wide open.

Silva is a longer, and more of a leaner fighter than Rich. His long limbs allow him to strike at a distance without putting himself at risk, and he can control guys better on the ground as well.

He is abviously stronger in the clinch as we all know despite his obviously physical side by side comparison to rich as far as size and mass.

He is just as good if not better as far as BJJ compared to franklin.

So what does that leave Franklin???????

A Prayer? Because, no offense, thats really all I can think of.

#15 ·
southpaw447 said:
Seriously Rich is a nice guy. I met him at a GNC a year or two ago and he's a very down to earth guy.

But

Silva seems like he would outclass him in every aspect of the fight game.

Silva's striking is head and shoulders better than Rich. Rich has that loopy overhand right that just never seems to land and do damage and it leaves him wide open.

Silva is a longer, and more of a leaner fighter than Rich. His long limbs allow him to strike at a distance without putting himself at risk, and he can control guys better on the ground as well.

He is abviously stronger in the clinch as we all know despite his obviously physical side by side comparison to rich as far as size and mass.

He is just as good if not better as far as BJJ compared to franklin.

So what does that leave Franklin???????

A Prayer? Because, no offense, thats really all I can think of.
What did Matt Serra have over Georges St. Pierre? Who won that fight? I have a gut feeling that a lot of people could potentially be shocked this saturday.

#16 ·
Fedor>all said:
What did Matt Serra have over Georges St. Pierre? Who won that fight? I have a gut feeling that a lot of people could potentially be shocked this saturday.
I see you point but GSP's mentality has been questioned on more than one occasion.

Have you seen Silva before everyone of his fights in the UFC. Calm as a Hindu Cow

#22 ·
If rich doesn't beat him this weekend than he will Defend it about 2500 more times cause that division has no threats. Mcdonald was beat by Rich Okami was beat by rich.. I really think that Rich is comming in with a game plan and i think he will execute it well.. look at the end of the fight Rich will be the Winner..

#23 ·
I voted 6-8 pending his victory this weekend. I'd be happy with either guy winning.

I think that Anderson is the best champion since Hughes. The guy is soo persistant and makes awesome fights, never takes time off for anything (cept for that knee thing in February), never makes excuses, never shit talks his opponents, he's just an all around classy guy and if he wins this weekend, then his reign shall be feared throughout the division and admired and envyed by the other champions.

#24 ·
Some of my thoughts on the guys you listed are in bold.

southpaw447 said:
Here is the possible list of contenders that are both signed and unsigned for Silva to fight

Aquired

Yushin Okami-needs one more fight
Jason MacDonald-needs one more fight
Drew McFedris-unsure
Martin Kampmann-injured??
Patrick Cote-should fight winner of Okami/J-Mac for shot, IMO
Thales Leites-too new? Needs more fights to build up name recognition.

There are some good guys, but these are the only ones, that, IMO are legit material.

Unaquired

-Denis Kang (Heroes)
-Fihlo (WEC MW Champion)
-Robbie Lawler (EliteXC & Icon Sport MW Champion)
-Murilio Ninja Rua (Former EliteXC MW Champion)-his brother Shogun might be able to bring him in so its a toss up, IMO.
-Frank Trigg (??)-Rumored to be fighting Fihlo for WEC belt
-Dan Henderson (Sounds like he won't be fighting under the UFC banner again let alone at 185)-if he stays he is staying in the LHW division.
-Matt Lindland (Bodog :dunno: )-he is more a mercenary fighter and the whole IFL thing leaves a bad taste in Dana's mouth so I doubt he will be in anytime soon
-Cung Le (EliteXC)
-Frank Shamrock (highly doubtful)
I think counting out the WEC is kind of dumb as they are under the Zuffa Banner and could possibly be moved up and down as needed.

I also think it funny you left out Leben, Starnes, Belcher. If the Leben that fought Terry Martin continues to show up he could be in for a good build up to a title shot. I see Cote fighting winner of Okami/J-Mac for shot with the loser fight Leben to maybe be #2 or get a rematch with Starnes if he beats Belcher. Also you got a great boxer and coming up wrestler in Marcus Davis so I don't think the MW is as screwed as I use to thin.

Edit: I voted four to six times.

#26 ·
Okami-Fan said:
ummm i say once he fights a good counter puncher and a much Strong fighter then he will lose
i say Okami will take the Belt but that just what i think
I think your just to stuck up Okami's nuts, he lost to rich and rich got destroyed by silva....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.