Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Favorite Takedown?

Favorite Takedowns?

9K views 53 replies 14 participants last post by  Deadly Poet 
#1 · (Edited)
what are all of your guys favorite takedowns? i do wrestling so these are ones that i use and that are common.
it's multiple choice i like everything there except i am not a good striker or foot sweeper. i have a fast lowsingle

#28 ·
yeah frank was a friggin tough a$$ beast. Amazing slam on the head!
Ironman how old r u and when did you teach BJJ to wrestlers? That would be cool if i had something like that at my school and do they have competitions?

#29 ·
IronMan said:
Nice slam. It looks like he landed on his head when he fell.
Yep... Igor does end up landing on his head. You'll also notice right at impact Franks legs are in the air, and his shoulder is also squarely in Igor's chin. Getting take down like that would knock the fight out of the majority of fighters out there.

Here's another brutal takedown/suplex. However, it just further proves that Fedor is a freakin' machine. Most other fighters would have been sent into traction off of that throw.

#30 ·
I like the tapout finish on that one.

I've always thought that suplex was a little bit stupid because I'm short and strong and sometimes I have trouble getting my weight under people. Now I'm gonna have to start working on that.

Fedor is definitely way too good to be allowed to fight anyone. If he got really angry he could kill somebody.

#31 ·
doublelegtakedown said:
yeah frank was a friggin tough a$$ beast. Amazing slam on the head!
Ironman how old r u and when did you teach BJJ to wrestlers? That would be cool if i had something like that at my school and do they have competitions?
I'm 16. I've been teaching BJJ and how to apply it in a fight to high school wrestlers since I was a freshman in highschool, about three years ago.

I took the GED last year so that I could study and teach MMA full time. We didn't have any competitions out here for BJJ, at least not any that I competed in, but I'd check if you have a local MA school or something that might hold them. You may have to go to NYC, but I'm sure that you could find some there.

#32 ·
IronMan said:
... I've always thought that suplex was a little bit stupid because I'm short and strong and sometimes I have trouble getting my weight under people. Now I'm gonna have to start working on that...
Actually, I love suplexes for the reason that I am shorter than most of my training partners. I've found it very easy to enter in, clinch up on a taller sparring partner, and (because of my height) I'm already at a place to upset their center of balance (their hips). Once there, a quick pop of the legs and turn here or there, and you have one opponent on the ground wondering what the hell just happened.

Suplexes fall under Judo's application of Sutemi Waza (sacrifice techniques), where one sacrifices their own upright position to throw someone else. Most suplexes don't require that you actually lift your opponent completely off the ground. It just so happens to be that the most brutal ones will be those where you fully lift your opponent, as if you have the technique down well enough, you will be able to determine how hard and at what angle they actually land. As with most throws, technique means everything.

#33 ·
IronMan said:
I'm 16. I've been teaching BJJ and how to apply it in a fight to high school wrestlers since I was a freshman in highschool, about three years ago.

I took the GED last year so that I could study and teach MMA full time. We didn't have any competitions out here for BJJ, at least not any that I competed in, but I'd check if you have a local MA school or something that might hold them. You may have to go to NYC, but I'm sure that you could find some there.
Oh cool. Did you teach tem bjj after school? And was it during the wrestling seanson?
What's ged?

#34 ·
The GED, or whatever its called, is the high school exit exam. You can take it early and get out of school and it's like the eqivalent of a highschool diploma.

I taught some after school, mostly during the last hour of their practice. It was almost always during the season, but there were a few guys that trained with me in the off season. For the guys that aren't multi-sport athletes I'd do some sparring and some more practical combat training.

#37 ·
no prob, it just seemed some were not sure what it ment usually those that do not know what it means either got a normal diploma like myself or have not graduated yet and do not know about a GED, while ok I do not think it is the way to go most businesses given the option will hire a person with a diploma over a GED all else being equal. GEDs are not bad in any sense on not easy to get as you have to learn the material anyway just you have to take a big test on all of it at once.
I took a GED practice test in high school my senior year for fun and I got a 99 on it so .. but then I have always been good at test taking never did home still hate the whole idea of homework, just don't tell my kids.

#42 ·
Rush said:
Double leg takedown is the best there. It's sort of like a spine buster wrestling move and also looks like a miny spear. But my point is that its kick a--. :thumbsup:.
true if done right and with some force you can stunn your opponent long enough to attempt a submisison move or gain the mount.

#46 ·
phatandile said:
My favorite takedown is the sweep, not a foot sweep but the one where you slide behind the opponents legs and take them down from there. Its hard to explain online.
Inside Sweep or Outside Sweep from a clinch. It's actually a very basic takedown that is very applicable against opponents who are larger in stature. Also known as Ouchi Gari or Kosoto Gari (and their variants) in Judo.

#48 ·
I just finished my first week of mma... and I feel at home with single or double leg takedowns from playing rugby. Man I am loving it ! :)

#49 ·
i like the firemans carry (although its hard to pull off somtimes)
usually i just push them a couple times then quickly drop down through their legs when they push back

i also like sprawling from a standing guilotine (does everyone know what i mean?)

im a fairly small guy, but im quick, so against bigger guys i try to get their back via an arm drag or similar then do a back spinning take-down

#50 ·
The Don said:
not talking about a snap down, its a hard concept to explain online easy to show. but basicly by manipulating the head in various directions you can get the body to follw in predictable path, its simple body mechanics. I beleive somoene who studys akido might be able to explain it better as they ( if I am correct) use the principle mostly.
know what u mean...penjat silat uses it alot...

by manipulating the head u have control of the opponent....just twist their face to one side (up, down, left, right) and immediatly twist him to the other side with enough force...this will cause the body to colapse due to breaking of the structure...why turn it to one side then the other? well cause u dont want to use too much strenght and when u turn him to one side the person will strugle to keep his balance and will give u the momentum u need to take him to the desire direction....

#51 ·
Deadly Poet said:
know what u mean...penjat silat uses it alot...

by manipulating the head u have control of the opponent....just twist their face to one side (up, down, left, right) and immediatly twist him to the other side with enough force...this will cause the body to colapse due to breaking of the structure...why turn it to one side then the other? well cause u dont want to use too much strenght and when u turn him to one side the person will strugle to keep his balance and will give u the momentum u need to take him to the desire direction....
thank you I thought people were thinking I was nuts someone who knows the concepts..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.