Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Team Hughes: A string of bad luck?

1K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  americanfighter 
#1 ·
I'm just throwing this up for discussion, I'm not trying to make excuses for Matt Hughes or any of this crap.

Blake vs. Richie - I'm not 100% certain, but Blake stated that his knees just buckled and it was not because of Richie's punch.

Paul vs. Troy - Paul gets a call that his cousin has passed away and he has to fight before he leaves for the funeral. I'm pretty sure that played a role in his poor judgment call during the fight.

Dan vs. Ben - Hughes being an idiot decides to work Dan over when he's scheduled to fight. Dan's hand swells up like a balloon and he goes to the doctor. Although he was cleared to fight, I'm sure he was a bit tentative in using his right-hand. Also, he gets a call prior to the fight that someone (his girlfriend?) just had a seizure. On top of all that, he (possibly) got screwed out of a sudden death match against Ben (even though he pretty much ran away from Ben in the 2nd round).

Discuss.

#2 ·
Your trippin dude...hughs fan...Matt hughs lost this shit and more important u see his integrity mtalkin bout matt serra curses and my kids cant watch the show, meanwhile every other word out of dana's mouth is **** this and that......hughs is an excuse maker and will be exposed all the way..

#3 ·
Ben Saunders whipped the shit out of Barrera..hey Barerra pop pop jab thats all he got....he lost both rounds tell me i'm wrong matt hughs is a sore loser and i respect his game 100%.........gi-cudo the way of the interceptin fist learn fools its all about leverage....Bruce Lee

#4 ·
Rated said:
I'm just throwing this up for discussion, I'm not trying to make excuses for Matt Hughes or any of this crap.
coldcall420 said:
Your trippin dude...hughs fan...Matt hughs lost this shit and more important u see his integrity mtalkin bout matt serra curses and my kids cant watch the show, meanwhile every other word out of dana's mouth is **** this and that......hughs is an excuse maker and will be exposed all the way..
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

P.S. If I'm a "Hughes fan" then I assume you are a "Hughes hater?"

#5 ·
Rated said:

Blake vs. Richie - I'm not 100% certain, but Blake stated that his knees just buckled and it was not because of Richie's punch.
Richie would have won anyway. Blake is the worst fighter in the house.

Paul vs. Troy - Paul gets a call that his cousin has passed away and he has to fight before he leaves for the funeral. I'm pretty sure that played a role in his poor judgment call during the fight.
That definitely was bad luck, but I don't think his stupidity was influenced by his cousin's death.

Dan vs. Ben - Hughes being an idiot decides to work Dan over when he's scheduled to fight. Dan's hand swells up like a balloon and he goes to the doctor. Although he was cleared to fight, I'm sure he was a bit tentative in using his right-hand. Also, he gets a call prior to the fight that someone (his girlfriend?) just had a seizure. On top of all that, he (possibly) got screwed out of a sudden death match against Ben (even though he pretty much ran away from Ben in the 2nd round).
Hughes beating the shit out of Dan isn't bad luck, it's a bad call. There are more effective ways of teaching your teammates a lesson, ones that don't involve injuring them. He has no one to blame but himself for marrying an insane woman, there was absolutely nothing wrong with her, she's just a crazy bitch.

#6 ·
Rated said:
Hughes being an idiot decides to work Dan over when he's scheduled to fight.
From Hughes Blog:

"They tried to make it look like I was really beating on Dan, but I was really just trying to get Dan to stop being so spastic in practice. I was also just having a good time with him. I like Dan he’s a good guy, just like every one else on my team. He gets along well with the team and he’s very motivated.

Another side note, that footage they pulled up of me beating on Dan was over a long period of time and they pulled it from a lot of different practices. I know that because of what I was wearing and there was no way I was going to be that rough with him right before he was going to go fight for me."

#7 ·
Blake tore his ACL. I don't know how he did it, but it was probably due to running out of octagon and had nowhere to go. If he's going to run from Richie Hightower, he shouldn't be in the UFC.
Paul didn't even seem stirred by his cousin's death. He pretty much shrugged it off, and kept on. Good for him staying focused on the fight. I'd bet anything that Paul was thinking perfectly clear during the fight (clear of any outside influence, that is). So, he blew that fight all by himself.

#8 ·
How do you guys know if the death of his cousin did not affect his fight performance? Some people may not be showing it on the outside but inside, they may be hurting. I don't know, I just think it's more probable that he was distracted from having to attend his cousin's funeral, etc. Again, I'm just throwing this up for discussion; I'm not making excuses for anyone.

#9 ·
That was just my thought, judging by his immediate reaction to the news, as well as how he dealt with it. I feel like if he had showed any sort of emotion, it would have been exploited by the show. He didn't give the cameras anything to film. That's why we saw no drama from him, and we instead ended up seeing the guys making fun of Mac. The fact is, I don't know if the death of his cousin affected his performance, but these are my feelings based on my observations. However, I may very well be wrong.

#11 ·
Rated said:
How do you guys know if the death of his cousin did not affect his fight performance? Some people may not be showing it on the outside but inside, they may be hurting. I don't know, I just think it's more probable that he was distracted from having to attend his cousin's funeral, etc. Again, I'm just throwing this up for discussion; I'm not making excuses for anyone.
It doesn't matter if it did or didn't affect him. Most athletes have the mental and emotional fortitude to keep focused on the task at hand, while in the ring. As, soon as you are out of the ring is when you can deal with all your RL stuff.

If you are unable to do as such it questions your ability to be a elite fighter.

#12 ·
Nobilis said:
It doesn't matter if it did or didn't affect him. Most athletes have the mental and emotional fortitude to keep focused on the task at hand, while in the ring. As, soon as you are out of the ring is when you can deal with all your RL stuff.

If you are unable to do as such it questions your ability to be a elite fighter.
Oh please, elite fighters or not. They are humans just like the rest of us.

#14 ·
Wawaweewa said:
Richie would have won anyway. Blake is the worst fighter in the house.

That definitely was bad luck, but I don't think his stupidity was influenced by his cousin's death.

Hughes beating the shit out of Dan isn't bad luck, it's a bad call. There are more effective ways of teaching your teammates a lesson, ones that don't involve injuring them. He has no one to blame but himself for marrying an insane woman, there was absolutely nothing wrong with her, she's just a crazy bitch.
Good post, pretty much summing up what I thought.

LittleJoe said:
From Hughes Blog:

"They tried to make it look like I was really beating on Dan, but I was really just trying to get Dan to stop being so spastic in practice. I was also just having a good time with him. I like Dan he’s a good guy, just like every one else on my team. He gets along well with the team and he’s very motivated.

Another side note, that footage they pulled up of me beating on Dan was over a long period of time and they pulled it from a lot of different practices. I know that because of what I was wearing and there was no way I was going to be that rough with him right before he was going to go fight for me."
If I remember right, some of the other guys in his team said he's quite hard on people all the time. His heads far to far up his own arse to be a good coach IMO. "They make ME look bad!?!? I'm gonna punish them" It's a wonder he's not giving out wedgies and dunkin people in the toilet.

Nobilis said:
I think you're talking about being an elite psychopath.

#15 ·
yea i dont really know what hughes was thinkin when he beat up barrera right before his fight. and when he's probly worried about his girl back home.

#17 ·
POUNANI said:
super bad luck so thats 3 fights hughes couldve won.

but serra is gettin lucky. but when it comes down to it mac is gonna win it all . and hughes is gonna power bomb someone

Are you kidding?? Those are not 3 fights hughes could have won.. Paul was the only one out of those 3 that had a chance... regardless of what happened to blake he wasnt beating anyone.

Dan was definitely not going to beat Ben either...

#18 ·
POUNANI said:

but serra is gettin lucky. but when it comes down to it mac is gonna win it all . and hughes is gonna power bomb someone
5-1 is lucky?:confused02: Sounds more like domination to me!

#19 ·
Zender said:
If I remember right, some of the other guys in his team said he's quite hard on people all the time. His heads far to far up his own arse to be a good coach IMO. "They make ME look bad!?!? I'm gonna punish them" It's a wonder he's not giving out wedgies and dunkin people in the toilet.
Actually, if you read Mac's blog he said Hughes beating up Dan was "all-in-fun" and was never meant to be a punishment.

#20 ·
POUNANI said:

I really don't think he is and I hope he doesn't win it all..

#21 ·
POUNANI said:
Lets pretend this statement is true.

Then consistent loses are a pretty BIG coincidence and the odds are around winning the lottery.

So, what is the difference here. Hughes guys are not listening to Hughes and Hughes' game plan. Serra's guys are. Which boils down to coaching and having a plan to defeat the fighter you are fighting. Good coaches like Randy do it all the time. A good plan can make up for some of the disparity between two fighters. A good coach can come up with that plan and inspire his fighter to follow that plan; even under difficult situations.

I hope what I'm suggesting is not getting lost here.

#22 ·
I border on being an Anti-Hughes.
Why? Because I had an advanced wrestling career and Hughes reminds me of a dozen or so top athletes in the upper echelons of collegiate wrestling. Out of those dozen a few got into WWE/WCW and got even WORSE after breaking through. Matt is symbolic of people too full of themselves that break through to a new profession doing the only thing they are good at and it shoots their egos and their assness through the roof.

They are elite athletes that 'want' to be looked up to and want to coach. But their whole method is demeaning and used, often subconsciously, to reinforce their own self esteem.

Look at the other side and you can see examples of good coaches, winners or not. Pulver, Tito, Serra. These guys are trying to help the sport, not just themselves.

Then look at Hughes, BJ, Shamrock. They lounge around, pointing to their assistants to provide some instruction, and then jump in every so often to prove they are better and/or give their guys a tongue lashing for not working hard enough.

Sure, the film guys have to spin a story and they often slant the footage to make for good drama. But, they wouldn't have the footage to use unless there was some semblance of the truth.

#23 ·
I think matt just picked the wrong guys they dont listin or follow any game plan in the cage. just like the fight before last Matt told him to take him down and not to stand and bang and he did the exat oposite. Plus I think if they could have picked the fight they wanted they would have won. Dana is ass making him fight just before the funeral. Dan didnt listen in his fight and got his ass kicked too although I do think It should have gone to the third round he could have koed him if he had just listened to matt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.