MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - How important is Footwork?And how do you develop it?

View Single Post

Old 10-30-2007, 10:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kin
MMA fighter

Kin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdelance
The reason why you don't see Ali's footwork in MMA is because of the takedown. Strikers cant move as freely when they have to worry about the shoot. Being upright and having a slightly narrower stance benefits speed. However, its harder to sprawl.
That is a very interesting observation.I am wondering if you could be more specific:Why does Ali style footwork leave someone vulnerable to a takedown? If I do recall, in the match that Ali had in Japan with I believe it was a judoka,I didn't see the fight or any footage of it, just a still photograph of Ali,obviously taken down on the mat and being subjected to some kind of leglock.
The flip side of the coin:What were the advantages of his unorthodox style? I don't recall anyone before him using that kind of footwork.What lead him to develop it? Do you know?
And thanks for some great feedback.
Sincerely,Ferdelance[/quote]

The advantage of an unorthodox style is that it confuses people. But you have to balance trickery with effeciency. In this case, there isn't enough efficiency to make it worth the sneakiness.

As for the takedowns... Being too upright and having too narrow a stance (like a boxer, kickboxer) doesn't lend itself to sprawling. If you can't sprawl, you could very well get taken down. There are alternatives to sprawling, but they're not nearly as effective and versatile. Also, he likes to do passing steps (like walking steps). If someone times him on one of those, they could snatch both of his legs while they're crossed. That's an auto-takedown. NOTHING he can do if that happens. Heck, someone could kick his legs right out from under him when that's happening.

See, you have to tailor your fighting style to your sport. Because there is only punching in boxing, you can get away with things that you couldn't in kickboxing or MMA. They're different sports. If you try to fight like a boxer in MMA, you'll either get taken down or KO'd by a kick, knee, or elbow. If you try to fight like an MMAer in a boxing match, you'll either get DQ'd or KO'd for being too open. Different rules = different styles.

Support my FB athlete page!

Watch my 5th pro fight here

Watch my "Bare Knuckle" Boxing match here

Kin is offline   Reply With Quote