Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Houston Alexander for MW

3K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  bbjd7 
#1 ·
I just watched UFC 71 again and I noticed that Houston came in at 202lbs against Jardine. Most LHW have to cut weight to make the division.

Now I know it may be too early to jump weight but he could feasibly make 185lbs with ease and walk through most of the guys in the division. At least until he gets to Anderson Silva.

#9 ·
kds13 said:
Dude is ripped, I think the cut would wreck his power and fatigue him. He'd be skin and bones at 185.
I agree. I think Houston would be a great fighter if he found a more reputable camp and worked more on his ground game..

I think it's stupid sometimes when one fighter loses, they say he'd be better off in another weight class.

He just needs to put in more work

#10 ·
Negative1 said:
Yea man that dude is friggin huge, I find it hard to believe that he makes 205.

Maybe a kidney weighs 3 lbs? :dunno:
hahahah
Seriously though, he is pure muscle. If he drops down or moves up it will only hurt him more than staying. I REALLY wanna see Alexander vs Liddell. This would be a crazy fight imo. Mabey Wandy, but Wandy might take him down since he has a good ground game.:dunno:

#11 ·
if he is thinking about jumping weight then he should go to hw if anything. lets face it... he doesnt have the martial art skills yet. not only was he horrible on the ground, he imo looked like he just throwed out lucky punches in the clinch ( thiago silva ). alexanders strenghts is no doubt ko power and physical strenght, that sounds much moore like a hw trait to me than mw. in mw the fighters are faster and a houston that light will lack some of the power he depends so much on. i think he will get tooled by the top 5-6 mw in ufc... their speed and ground game will overpower him.

yes he beat jardine, but when he beat jardine then alexander wasnt known so jardine wasnt prepared. imo if jardine had known alexander lacked that serious ground game that fight would have ended different.

he should take some time off work on his bjj and clinch and go to hw. that combined with that awsome ko power could possibly make him a force.

or he should just stay at lhw after he trains. but hopefully hell go to hw

#12 ·
NO WAY he could make 185. He's too lean, too ripped, too little body fat. All he'd lose it muscle mass, and I KNOW he's not the least bit interested in doing that. That's his strong suit, why tweak it?

#14 ·
I'm pretty sure he doesn't walk around at 202. Some people continue to sweat after coming out of the sauna, or his metabolism was slightly faster than he planned. Shammy came into the first Tito fight at 201. Does Ken way 201? hell no.

#15 ·
norway1 said:
if he is thinking about jumping weight then he should go to hw if anything. lets face it... he doesnt have the martial art skills yet. not only was he horrible on the ground, he imo looked like he just throwed out lucky punches in the clinch ( thiago silva ). alexanders strenghts is no doubt ko power and physical strenght, that sounds much moore like a hw trait to me than mw. in mw the fighters are faster and a houston that light will lack some of the power he depends so much on. i think he will get tooled by the top 5-6 mw in ufc... their speed and ground game will overpower him.

yes he beat jardine, but when he beat jardine then alexander wasnt known so jardine wasnt prepared. imo if jardine had known alexander lacked that serious ground game that fight would have ended different.

he should take some time off work on his bjj and clinch and go to hw. that combined with that awsome ko power could possibly make him a force.

or he should just stay at lhw after he trains. but hopefully hell go to hw
In Houston's defense, he was facing a BJJ blackbelt.

#20 ·
TYKIDD said:
True but Houston was mounted like Angelina Jolie in heat. He didnt even look like he tried to stop him.
i have to point out that i am not bashing houston just for the sake of it. there is a difference between having a bad day in the 8gon and plain out not having the skills ( and i like to flatter myself and saying i can tell the difference :thumb02: ) and im sorry to say he doesnt have the skills but he can work on them.

#22 ·
norway1 said:
i have to point out that i am not bashing houston just for the sake of it. there is a difference between having a bad day in the 8gon and plain out not having the skills ( and i like to flatter myself and saying i can tell the difference :thumb02: ) and im sorry to say he doesnt have the skills but he can work on them.
I agree Houston was clearly exposed. He needs to work with top talent on his BJJ and he doesent have much time to make that happen he is 35.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.