MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - IronMan's Log

Thread: IronMan's Log
View Single Post

Old 01-09-2008, 01:57 AM   #104 (permalink)
IronMan
True Grappler

IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by wukkadb View Post
What do you mean by keeping your heels tight to your opponent?
Good question.

The best way to apply the armbar from mount, or from guard (though it's much more difficult) is to keep your bottom heel pressed into your opponents ribs and your top heel trying to reach for your opponent's ear (it won't touch the ear, but the thought is that this will apply some additional pressure to the head with the calf and cinch up the armbar that much more), which will make sure that you are keeping your legs tight across the torso.

Now that I'm looking at the pictures I posted, I can see that Fedor is not doing that, because he had to adjust the angle of his armbar to account for the way that Coleman's sitting, though it would have been just as easy to pull Coleman down (which he does in the armbar used to finish their other fight) and finish him the way I've suggested.

Keeping the heels as tight to your opponent as you can will keep the legs bent, which will give you the opportunity to apply more pressure with your hips, making the armbar more powerful, as opposed to having your legs out straight, where you can have trouble extending all the way through the technique.

I'm glad you asked for the clarification. Did that help?

Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote