MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - I Need More Power!

View Single Post

Old 02-27-2008, 02:09 AM   #45 (permalink)
the>prodigy
MMA Fanatic

the>prodigy has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onganju View Post
A little applied physics:

Force = Mass X Acceleration

The second part of the equation is usually the easier of the two to see large amounts of improvement on. That is working on hand speed. Simply punch in a way not to emphasize power, but to emphasize the amount of acceleration you put into it. If you try to "put it all" into a punch, you'll tense up. You need to punch in a fluid, loose manner. How? Repitition, repitition, repitition... Keep punching until your arms feel like they're about to fall off.

An easy thing to do, is to punch using either weights on your wrists, or using big ass 16oz training gloves. Once you take the gloves off, your hands will feel lighter, and they will move at a greater rate of acceleration.

Okay, now the first part of the equation takes a lot of fine tuning. The way that you add mass to your punch is simply by using good body mechanics to train yourself to move you body with each punch. Again, the only way to tune your body movements well enough is repitition.

For instance, when you shoot out a jab, turn your hip towards your target. That will cause your shoulders to rotate into the direction of the punch (thus adding the mass of your upper body into the equation). You can add the mass of your lower body into the equation by pushing off your rear foot and sliding your front foot forward two or three inches. This will greatly increase the amount of force in your jab.

I can probably go on in length about it, but because of time constraints let me suggest a few things:

1) Pick up a good reference book that breaks down the kinesthetics of a punch in an easily understandable manner. I suggest two books that I have right off the bat:

The Tao of Jeet Kune Do by, Bruce Lee (I know, it may be a little dated or philosophy heavy, but the way Lee breaks down the kinesiology of punching is absolutely great)
Savage Strikes by, Mark Hatmaker (A more practical and up-to-date reference and instructional book on MMA striking)

Both books are easeily found for under $20.

2) Get a heavy bag and start working rounds... And more rounds... And more rounds.

3) Find a good boxing gym. These are still fairly easy to find, and even moderate amounts of instruction can make a big difference in comparison to finding out what works for yourself. Aside from that, once you begin learning how to throw a KO punch, you're going to want to learn how to avoid getting hit by one.

Good luck.

I have an idea that worked with me! Get the pick and use it for an hour straight. Or get a sledgehammer and hit it with a tire. With me i did it without even knowing i did alot of yard work with the pick for hours in my house. Yes hit the bag hard and lots of rounds but its the technique with the combination of the sledgehammer or pick. Trust me it worked for me withouth even knowing i had to do the yard all the time! If anyone wants i can show a video of how i punch and im not a pro. Its the twisting your whole body when throwing a punch!
the>prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote