Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Who will walk away with the precious belt tim cant leave home without?

• Tim Silvia

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Jeff Monson

Votes: 32 61.5%

Monson vs Silvia

2K views 30 replies 24 participants last post by  lilstuch114 
#1 ·
Here it is... It'll be Arlovski Vs Monson Im sure... He may be smaller but he packs one heck of a punch! I can see it now... Spear the big oaf right into the cage, take him down and smash his face in!

I wonder what Tim will carry around with him instead of the belt when Jeff is wearing it around lol

#3 ·
johnbender said:
Here it is... It'll be Arlovski Vs Monson Im sure... He may be smaller but he packs one heck of a punch! I can see it now... Spear the big oaf right into the cage, take him down and smash his face in!

I wonder what Tim will carry around with him instead of the belt when Jeff is wearing it around lol
Oh, Well that wasn't very nice! If Tim can stay off the ground, he will win!

#5 ·
From what Ive seen of Monson thats unlikely but possible I guess.

I just havent been impressed with Silvia at all. I was SHOCKED when AA lost to him TWICE!

I guess thats all it takes, 1 good shot in the right place and its over, which goes to prove it could be anyones fight, really. Except Monson is really aggressive in his fights and I can bet just about anything he'll rush right in on Silvia and take him down (or try to)

I dont think Silvia will be prepared for an immediate takedown,. probably figures on a standup for awhile. Except Monson knows the reach advantage is too great, so the takedown has to happen, the clinch at the bvery least. And he hits JUSt as hard, or damn close.

Monson 1st round GNP 2nd for sure:D

#13 ·
johnbender said:

I just havent been impressed with Silvia at all. I was SHOCKED when AA lost to him TWICE!

I guess thats all it takes, 1 good shot in the right place and its over, which goes to prove it could be anyones fight, really. Except Monson is really aggressive in his fights and I can bet just about anything he'll rush right in on Silvia and take him down (or try to)

I dont think Silvia will be prepared for an immediate takedown,. probably figures on a standup for awhile. Except Monson knows the reach advantage is too great, so the takedown has to happen, the clinch at the bvery least. And he hits JUSt as hard, or damn close.

I'm sure Militich has Silvia training take down defense with Hughes (5'9" as is Monson) doing the shooting.

#14 ·
ShootBoxer said:
I'm sure Militich has Silvia training take down defense with Hughes (5'9" as is Monson) doing the shooting.
taking absolutely nothing away from hughes...i think he lacks the power...i cant see him (once he shoots in...or even gets close) delivering the power shots and handleing sylvia like monson can do. I dont think 260 is much of a challenge for monson to lift /move

#15 ·
Monson hasn't beaten anyone worth notice. I think his record against decent opposition is like 2-4, with another loss coming to a scrub. There is just no way he beats Sylvia. I would give him a chance but his height disadvantage is just too much of a mismatch.
Sylvia by KO or TKO in round 1.

#17 ·
hbdale309 said:
Monson hasn't beaten anyone worth notice. I think his record against decent opposition is like 2-4, with another loss coming to a scrub. There is just no way he beats Sylvia. I would give him a chance but his height disadvantage is just too much of a mismatch.
Sylvia by KO or TKO in round 1.
XFC heavyweight champion, Cagewarriors heavyweight champion, Fightsport heavyweight champion, 2X Abu Dhabi world champion.

two of his losses being to chuck (he doesnt belong in lhw and it still went to the judges) and ricco...i dont know if id call them scrubs..... im not sayin hes gonna dominate..but all he has to do is put him down once...and if he survived chucks must faster and probably compareable in power punchs (def more frequent and elusive then sylvias) he has a good ****in shot.

Reactions: MetalMunkey
#18 ·
Slamnbam88 said:
XFC heavyweight champion, Cagewarriors heavyweight champion, Fightsport heavyweight champion, 2X Abu Dhabi world champion.

two of his losses being to chuck (he doesnt belong in lhw and it still went to the judges) and ricco...i dont know if id call them scrubs..... im not sayin hes gonna dominate..but all he has to do is put him down once...and if he survived chucks must faster and probably compareable in power punchs (def more frequent and elusive then sylvias) he has a good ****in shot.
OHHH, BURN!!!!

#19 ·
Slamnbam88 said:
taking absolutely nothing away from hughes...i think he lacks the power...i cant see him (once he shoots in...or even gets close) delivering the power shots and handleing sylvia like monson can do. I dont think 260 is much of a challenge for monson to lift /move
The difference in strength is not the point. But rather the simulation in Monson's height, the speed of the shoot and getting Silvia's reflex timing down to react in sprawls is what they'll be training.

You also made note of "power shots". If they expect Monson to punch his way in to shoot afterward, they'll have Hughes simulating that as well. Trust and believe.

#20 · (Edited)
ShootBoxer said:
The difference in strength is not the point. But rather the simulation in Monson's height, the speed of the shoot and getting Silvia's reflex timing down to react in sprawls is what they'll be training.

You also made note of "power shots". If they expect Monson to punch his way in to shoot afterward, they'll have Hughes simulating that as well. Trust and believe.

fair enough...just kinda hard to try and practice a real fight scenerio with someone whos not the guy...like if he can shake off hughes once he tried to take him down....it might not be as easy for him since monsons stronger

id also say its probly fairly easy to find a tall striker

#21 ·
I think that Monson will pull this one out, Monson's height disadvantage can easily be turned into an advantage, being the smaller man will mean that it will be harder for Sylvia to get to him.

Keep in mind that I am new to MMA, so I am merely assuming this.

#22 ·
I find this a tough call. The height/reach advantage is huge, but then again, Monson is probably quite used to it - he must always be the shorter guy. And Sylvia does not strike me as unstoppable. But man, it's not hard to imagine a head kick from Sylvia ending this.

But I'll go with Monson submitting Sylvia. I don't think it'll go past the 2nd round.

#25 ·
johnbender said:

:thumbsup: sounds good to me

#26 ·
From experience

Two of my sparring partners are 6'6" and 6'7" respectively. I am 5'10" 250lbs.
All that reach can be a complete disadvantage if you know how to get inside on someone. If the tall guy is good with elbows and knees then he can hassle you a bit, but if you can slip a punch and get inside the reach and throw punches with your legs you can destroy a taller opponent.
Last time we sparred my 6'7" friend tried to throw a quick left jab followed by a quick spinning back fist. Most people back up to aviod the jab and get caught by his backfist HARD, well I slipped the jab and I saw his hips start to turn for the backfist and stepped inside and caught him in the face as he came around. Broke his nose.

It's all about working with what you've got.

I personally don't think that Sylvia is talented enough or in good enough physical condition to be champ of anything.

The UFC HW division seems weak to me. I wish they'd bring in some new people.

~Nathan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.