Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

ESPN Writer On Kimbo:"A runaway slave with a mouth full of gold teeth."

2K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  SideWays40 
#1 ·
Not cool. What do you guys think about what this clown said. I don't particularly care for Kimbo, he hasn't really fought anyone yet, but this column crosses the line.

Source: http://www.fightline.com/

#3 ·
i guess i know what he means by kimbo being the stereotypical african american but he does cross the line. Kimbo went to the univesity of Miami so by that alone he does not exactly portray ur stereotypical thug. This journalist should be slapd a couple of times for writing this.

#7 ·
Hes pretty damn rough on Kimbo... Sideways do you have a source for that? I remember a while ago when Kimbo signed with EliteXC a show on ESPN was about Kimbo training with Bas (The same show where Tito said he would get his ass kicked fighting legit guys). I thought they said he dropped out of highschool...

#8 · (Edited)
First off, LZ Granderson, the ESPN writer in question, is black.

Second, he says Kimbo is "playing up the stereo-typical african-american", not that he is one.

Third, he said Kimbo "projects an image of" a runaway slave (in fact, what he says is a little more complicated than that). Not that he IS one.

Granderson is criticizing the street-thug persona Kimbo protrays and making a point, not being racist. Cmon guys, read past the buzzwords for a minute here. What he's really upset is that Kimbo is exploiting (and therefore perpetuating) a racial stereotype. I'm not saying I fully agree or even care but let's not confuse his meaning here.

#13 ·
Granderson is criticizing the street-thug persona Kimbo protrays and making a point, not being racist. Cmon guys, read past the buzzwords for a minute here. What he's really upset is that Kimbo is exploiting (and therefore perpetuating) a racial stereotype. I'm not saying I fully agree or even care but let's not confuse his meaning here.
Why doesn't he attack rappers then? They project racial stereotypes which people buy into willingly, judging by record sales alone.

#10 ·
"Of course, the pain of it all is somewhat dulled by the fact that none of this is really new. Ever since the first House ***** spied on the Field ******* in exchange for a clean pair of pants, it seems the jealousy and selfishness within my community has always played a key role in hindering its progress."

I don't know what I find more humorous, the fact that Gunderson is lambasting Kimbo in a self-righteous rant about critical race theory in his sports column; or the fact that he basically props Kimbo as being a representative of his [Gunderson's] community. Kimbo represents "the black community" as much as David Duke represents "the white community. That is to say neither guy "represents" all people who share their skin color in common.

Gunderson is a blowhard. His dropping mindless references to *****, lynch mobs, and field slaves only serve to show how little he knows. I seriously can't stand blowhards like Gunderson. There are still plenty manifestations of racism and racial politics [read democratic race]. But by writing drivel like this gunderson is simply crying wolf. Kimbo is marketing himself to make money, how much of his persona is his creation and how much of it is things that other people have attributed to him?

Gunderson needs save the sermon for something that actually matters

#17 ·
I hope for the sake of the writer of the article, that he never runs into Kimbo.

1st of all, Kimbo has displayed the upmost class since becoming an MMA fighter. When you watch his interviews, he is articulate & respectful.

If Kimbo wants to wear gold teeth, that is his business. The only thing I care about is whether a person respects other people & Kimbo does respect other people. So more power to him to wear what he wants to!

People need to stop talking trash about Kimbo.

#18 ·
I hope for the sake of the writer of the article, that he never runs into Kimbo.

1st of all, Kimbo has displayed the upmost class since becoming an MMA fighter. When you watch his interviews, he is articulate & respectful.

If Kimbo wants to wear gold teeth, that is his business. The only thing I care about is whether a person respects other people & Kimbo does respect other people. So more power to him to wear what he wants to!

People need to stop talking trash about Kimbo.
I agree with you with the exception of the bolded part. Kimbo's been respectful, and he realizes that he's at the bottom of the pecking order. However, I would say he's a farcry from articulate. :dunno:

#27 ·
I laugh at espn's decision to glamourize this slice moron. couldnt they have focused on a real mma guy as opposd to promoting the fight club, street crap? sad. or even if they wanted badly to cover a hard knocks ghetto fighter story, maybe hit up rampage, who has actually done something other than youtube crap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.