MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Tiger Woods Thread

View Single Post

Old 05-14-2008, 02:43 PM   #23 (permalink)
MLS
Banned

MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushFan View Post
Doesn't that reinforce just how difficult golf is? It is an accepted standard that there should be as close to complete silence whilst a golfer takes his swing due to the mental concentration required to complete an effective stroke. Golf is a hugely mental game. Every professional golfer is sensitive to distractions from unruly fans.
So who is tougher a golfer or a basketball player who is shooting every shot with thousands of fans making noise or a kicker in football making a kick with thousands of fans making noise. Do you ever see any other athlete freak out about making a shot or kicking a ball more than you do when a golfer hits the ball?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I would actually say yes he is the best ever. More than going for 18 majors is the streak he had of "made cuts". I can't remember what it was when it got snapped a couple of years ago but it was insanely long- like freaky crazy long. Golfers have bad days and every player goes through bad streaks but his bad days still got him through the cut and to do it as long as he did is enough for me(plus his 13 majors and huge list of other wins) to call him the best ever. It's all hypothetical either way when saying a player is the best-ever in any sport.

As to the mental toughness by distracting them(I love it when Stevie goes ape-sh!t on a fan for clicking a picture during Tiger's backswing)- it's how golf has been played forever- with silence. That's just part of the game if they allowed cheering or jeering during a player's swing I'm sure over time they could adapt to it but that's just not how it's played.

Silence can be deafening- standing over an 8 foot putt to make par and win a tournament with thousands of people surrounding the green, the announcers in the TV booth critiquing your every single move and plus the possible thousands or millions of viewers is mind boggling to consider let alone deal with.
Problem with your statement is the other guy I quoted who seems to have the same thinking as you disagree's on whether or not a golfer could overcome fans cheering. SO who is right? But refer to my post to him as well.
MLS is offline   Reply With Quote