MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Tiger Woods Thread

View Single Post

Old 05-14-2008, 03:52 PM   #25 (permalink)
All_In
The Truth

All_In Is True Champion Of KnowledgeAll_In Is True Champion Of KnowledgeAll_In Is True Champion Of KnowledgeAll_In Is True Champion Of KnowledgeAll_In Is True Champion Of KnowledgeAll_In Is True Champion Of KnowledgeAll_In Is True Champion Of KnowledgeAll_In Is True Champion Of KnowledgeAll_In Is True Champion Of KnowledgeAll_In Is True Champion Of KnowledgeAll_In Is True Champion Of Knowledge
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
Really. You think that Tiger can bench, high jump, sprint or weave like an elite athlete?
I didn't say he could bench, high jump, sprint, or weave like anyone. I used it in this context:

Quote:
An athlete is someone who is athletic, someone who shows incredible general physical prowess. That is to say: a combination of strength, speed, agility, coordination and skill in their sport.
Quote:
I think Tiger Woods is a perfect example of such.
I still do.

Quote:
You're entitled to that belief. Frankly, I think that if we put him in there with a guy who is really an elite athlete, just threw him in the gym with, say, Kevin Garnett, he'd get killed.
Is the gym a place that truly defines an athlete? Bryan Clay, the 2006 decathlon (arguably the most athletic people in the world) point champion wouldn't stand a chance against Garnett in the gym in regards to physical strength, but he can weave more agilely, sprint faster, and has a higher vertical leap than Garnett.

Quote:
What's Tiger Woods' skill set? What's athletically impressive about him besides his swing?
What about baseball? Would Barry Bonds, Ryan Howard, Frank Thomas, Roger Clemens, or Billy Wagner be considered elite athletes in your opinion? Point being these athletes are athletes because of the skill-set they have that nobody else on the face of the earth can easily replicate. Hand-eye coordination happens to be one of those skill sets. Having control over one's body is also an underrated athletic characteristic...