MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Tiger Woods Thread

View Single Post

Old 05-14-2008, 04:48 PM   #31 (permalink)
IronMan
True Grappler

IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by All_In_GSP View Post
Fair enough, my man. Just a few things…

Webster's definition of the word athlete:
I just feel Tiger fits the mold here.
So golf is a sport that requires physical strength, agility and speed?

I voted to say that it's a sport. I do think that it requires a great deal of skill and personally believe that it is a sport.

My point isn't that Tiger Woods isn't an athlete, my point is that he doesn't have the athleticism of other professional athletes, guy I personally consider "elite."

Quote:
It's tough to find information on his regime, but I've read of him benching close to 300 lbs, running distances of 3 miles and 7 miles on given days, and working out in the gym quite a bit. I'll see if I can find some more information related to these statements.
I don't think he benches 300. If he does, then I will apologize and say that he is a stronger dude than I initially thought he was, but I think you're getting him confused with Vijay Singh, who's a much bigger, much stronger (physically) guy.

As far as how much Tiger runs. He runs the course after every match. He's in shape, but is going to run those miles as fast as a different athlete, like, say, Bush or Garnett or Torii Hunter.

Quote:
Would it be fair to say that Tiger's superior hand-eye coordination could translate in the MLB if given the same time and effort?
Sure, but that's only one part of the game, and if we're going to say that when we should say that every baseball player in the pros with a .200+ batting average could make the PGA tour with effort. I don't think that's true, there's more to the game of golf than that.

That said, there's also more to baseball than just hitting the ball. How would Tiger move down the first base like? How would he move in the field?

I don't know the answers to these questions, but if you think that he would be at the level of an elite MLB player, like Ichiro or Hunter, I think you're absolutely nuts.

I also agree with you about Brian. I just wanted to make clear that we were on the same page.

Quote:
I agree, but I think it works the exact same for golf.

Edit: See GMW's post below for workout regime information.
As far as his personal routine, it's good but it's not impressive. I've watched guys like Baron Davis work out and I've trained with some of the guys I consider elite athletes in MMA, BJJ, wrestling and sub fighting. They go beyond that, though I'll say that it's important to note that this is Tiger's routine for rehab and not his regular workout, at least from what I gathered.

Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote