MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - UFC 61: Tito vs Shamrock

View Single Post

Old 06-23-2006, 10:34 AM   #31 (permalink)
raymardo
Featherweight

raymardo will become famous soon enoughraymardo will become famous soon enoughraymardo will become famous soon enoughraymardo will become famous soon enoughraymardo will become famous soon enoughraymardo will become famous soon enoughraymardo will become famous soon enoughraymardo will become famous soon enoughraymardo will become famous soon enoughraymardo will become famous soon enoughraymardo will become famous soon enough
Gracie: One dimensional???

Royce was one dimensional in the early UFC days, but that's exactly the way the UFC was billed. It was the excitement of seeing different styles matching up against each other: Tae Kwo Do vs. Muay Tai, Jiu Jitsu Vs. Akido etc.

It was all about who had the best style.

Today, a competitor may have a specialty, but most fighters train with teams who bring in coaches to target every area a fighter needs to target. It is rare today that someone starts their MMA training AFTER becoming a black belt or training in a martial art for twelve years.

Today you will see a guy who is a Jiu Jitsu expert end a fight with blows to the head if the opportunity arises.

Royce Gracie was a very good striker who wasted no energy with his punches, but he usually used them to soften his opponent up for an eventual submission.

He was, in a way, one dimensional, but at the time that was to his advantage. He was doing things that no one else was doing. By him being one dimensional, he forced his opponents to fight in his arena of Gracie Jiu Jitsu, and they didn't know the rules. He dominated.

If Royce was a young fighter today, I believe that his attitude would be different. He would practice other disciplines also and he would excel at them. Royce would dominate in today's MMA world too.

I'm scheduled to do an in depth interview with his cousin Renzo some time next month. I'll post the entire interview at UltimateFightingChampionship.com

If anyone has any good questions for Renzo, post them to this thread.

Ray Mardo

Last edited by raymardo : 09-20-2007 at 07:01 PM.
raymardo is offline   Reply With Quote