Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Muay Thai or TKD

51K views 274 replies 71 participants last post by  Spirion1 
#1 ·
I'm having an arguement with a guy on youtube who thinks Muay Thai sucks compared to tae kwon do. I think that the simple lack of protecting your face in TKD says it all. Tell me what you think is better

#274 ·
As a TKD practioner it has the most beautiful kicks and it also happens to be the most useless in a street fight. Well actually that's not entirely true as I've kicked people before, but yah the knock out blows are 90% punches. Aint nobody going to be doing a tornado kick, roundhouse, jumping side kick, etc in a street fight when bar stools, beer bottles, glass, stanchions are being thrown around.

There's limited punching...all about hopping in and out in a linear line. It's very one dimensional, BUT...if you can master than + BJJ + Muay Thai then you got your self fighters like Makdessi, Bendo and of course Anderson Silva who can display a very cool array of unorthodox kicks.

You guys should check out Best Of The Best which was about an Olympic style Karate and TKD contest. A great sleeper film.

Muay Thai is pretty much the standard for striking in an MMA setting. What makes it stand out is the conditioning as you all know; core, abs, and constant kicking of the pads.

One of my favorites is Petrosyan. Dude has the most crisp technique.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.