MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Greatest Striker Ever?

View Single Post

Old 05-21-2008, 09:41 PM   #22 (permalink)
IronMan
True Grappler

IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodJunkie View Post
My sentiments exactly. I have been saying for a long time that Machida is good but not overly impressive but so many people are just acting like he is the next coming of Jesus Christ when it comes to striking. IMO he can't even be considered in the upper echelon of MMA strikers let alone the greats from K-1 like Aerts, Hoost, JLB, Hug.
BloodJunkie, I feel like we've had this conversation before on Macida-nuthugging threads. You're absolutely right.

In fact, as far as I'm concerned, Machida is, technically speaking, the 7th best striker in the lightheavyweight division right now, and what I mean by that is, if you put him in a K-1 ring and match with Rampage, Wanderlei, Shogun, Thiago Silva, Houston Alexander or Chuck, they'd tear his f*cking head off and knock it into the third row. Without the ring (which is to say, in terms of how his striking translates to the UFC, I think that he's a debatable 5th, because of how it bangs up Wanderlei and Shogun's rankings).

Anyway, my point is that even from a technical standpoint, I have a hard time believing that he has the ability to finish the way that guys like Silva and Liddell and Rampage do.

That's my problem with Machida and it's why I don't really like his standup.

His grappling is fantastic, but that's a whole different story.

Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote