Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Matt vs. Amir.... Possibly best fight of this season?

3K views 46 replies 26 participants last post by  Davisty69 
#1 ·
Yeah, I can't wait to see this fight. Next week's episode looks to be really good.

#10 ·
I can't think of more then 3 people that were very technical after coming off the first season. Sanchez and Quarry maybe, but the rest weren't very technical at all.

#11 · (Edited)
They might not have been very technical but atleast they showed somewhat developed skills, the guys on TUF1 came from very good backgrounds and already had notable fights before the show so they had technical skills.

The talent pool is just dwindling and it's no offense to Matt or Amir. Both guys just aren't there and aren't ready for the UFC yet, Amir being fairly new to the sport and Matt having a piss poor record. If either of these guys were on TUF1 they'd get crushed. Yeah it may seem easy to say that now since most TUF1 have established themselves, but even THEN they'd probably still get smashed.

Anyway let's not turn this into a TUF1 vs. TUF7 thread like you just tried to do. Comparing the two is pointless and it doesn't change the fact that both Amir and Matt are sloppy strikers so your argument is nullified.

Besides, when I said "Two sloppy, untechnical strikers always makes for a good slugfest.", it's not "bashing" as you put it. I just simply said two sloppy strikers will make a good slugfest which is a positive note...not a bad one, so stop trying to pick an argument sparky.

#12 ·
I don't know man, I just thought Amir's standup looked pretty decent for the minute he was standing. He did knock out some bum from IFL with a beauty knee and did land some good kicks, and a flying knee.

Maybe you're just pickier then me.

I think 3-4 guys with survive from the last season, and potentially 5 from this season. Not to bad when you compare to other seasons.

#13 ·
Eh I don't care where a guy is from, whether he fought in IFL or not. Gerald Harris is a one trick pony, dude did you see his stand-up? I don't think he even looked where he was throwing when the fight was on his feet and pretty much told Amir to knee him in the face.

From what I've seen from Amir in his first fight and his fight against Harris he has no stand-up but the fact that he's a scrappy, gritty, tough bastard makes up for it.

#14 ·
I am sure he'll be a lot better after training a lot more full time coming up to the finale. Dude has power, and looked to have a decent sprawl against a guy who said he wasn't tired.

It's tricky with the TUF fighters because you can't really judge them for like 2 years. It's like draft picks, some are busts and some turn out to be good.

#16 ·
I'm really not impressed technically by anyone on the show yet.. None of them have absolutely overwhelming strengths (except maybe Dollaway with his wrestling), they all just seem very sloppy in all aspects. Sure, I'm saying this from the couch, but you can usually tell when someone's UFC-caliber.

#17 ·
I don't really care how technical the fighters are on TUF. In my opinion this season has had more entertaining fights than any other season I can remember. Most fights have ended in KO's or subs and you can't knock that. There have been other seasons where almost every fight has gone to a decision and they haven't been very entertaining decisions. I guess I just watch show to be entertained and hopefully see a fun fight between 2 guys that really want to get to the UFC.

#20 ·
In the minute it was standing he knocked a dude out and through many shots that looked technical. I don't know, I thought Amirs' standup looked better then average and not to sloppy..

#21 ·
Well Amir is suppose to come from a Muay Thai (or a kickboxing?) background, so I would hope that he has technical striking (which I think he does, I definitely wouldn't call it sloppy).

However, I think the whole point of TUF now is to find guys with raw potential and refine them into high level fighters. I'm biased but I really think Amir can make it in the UFC if he gets himself a strong camp.

Matt Brown didn't live up to the hype so he's more like a Ross Pointon to me. The UFC will give him a few fights since he's entertaining but he probably won't get far.

#24 ·
Yeah, this definitely has fight of the season written all over it. I was kind of pissed when this fight was picked, they are by far my two favorites from this season. I was hoping for a match in the Finals or as least the semis.

I did like CB too, but after last episode, with all his referring to himself in 3rd person, my like for him quickly went away. That is one of my biggest pet peeves with athletes.

#26 ·
I did like CB too, but after last episode, with all his referring to himself in 3rd person, my like for him quickly went away. That is one of my biggest pet peeves with athletes.

I was thinking the exact same thing last night. It was the first episode that had a lot of CB in it and he came off looking like a douche. Man that guy is really full of himself.

BTW, it really was kind of gay when they were wearing the same sun glasses.:laugh:

Reactions: swpthleg
#27 ·
Agreed about CB. The guy came across as a world class douchebag. He was more of a douchebag than the guy with the retarded hair that looks like Guile from Street Fighter.

Talking in 3rd Person = fail
acting like your shit don't stink = fail
almost getting your ass whooped by a guy with only four fights against relative nobodies = Super fail.

CB is good but he's a collosal douchebag, and definitely not good enough for how big his mouth is.

#39 ·
i doubt it, otherwise he'd know how tall Brown really is lol.

Amir/Brown will be good, but I was also pissed because I wanted to see them beat the snot out of a couple more people before one had to leave :( And btw, Amir was a profession kickboxer, not sure of his record, but thats what they said in the begining of the season. I also think Amir and Matt are the two more well rounded fighters on the show (not to an elite level but much more so than most of the others). I really hope CB gets beat though, that 3rd person bullshit pissed me off >:[

#41 ·
I wanna see CB vs Amir. Or Tim vs CB. But Matt v Amir is good shit too.

I friken love this season.
CB I thought would be alot better in his fight, Sorta dull after a while, I like the ufc, I wish it had more stand up than ground, Thats why this fight is going to be epically good,Although This season has been sorta dreadful,Am I the only one who thinks this season has been 'The' worst TUF season yet? For some reason, 1,5 and 6 to me where the best, They had alot of good stuff happening, this season has yet to show me that its like that, and then next season you got Mir, And Norgeia, Terrible Picks in my view, There obviously doing it to see who can take Randy's heavyweight title and be the champ but still I would have to say bad picks, I hope tuf gets better of season 8 gets good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.