MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Back to Basics

Thread: Back to Basics
View Single Post

Old 05-22-2008, 10:10 PM   #30 (permalink)
IronMan
True Grappler

IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedor>all View Post
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could please teach me a few tricks to passing a tight closed-guard (no-gi). The main trick I use is the can opener, and it can be effective, but it would be nice to know more than that, especially when grappling with a more experienced and larger opponent.

Any techniques for passing from the closed-guard position would be extremely helpful, because I tend to struggle breaking my opponent's guard.

Thanks in advance!
The can opener and the elbow dig are the two best ones for beginners, because they are so effective for minimal skill, but here's something a little better.

Just lock your opponent down by pushing your palms into your opponents ribs, keeping your elbows in and maintaining good posture.

Then, slide one of your knees under your opponent's butt and step backwards (like 90 degrees from your opponent) with one of your legs (your foot should be on the ground and your leg should be extended, and your butt should be off the ground). Then take off the arm that is on the same side of your opponent and pop the guard by dropping your hipsbackwards (this is the direction 45 degrees from the was your leg is pointing, so, perpendicular to your opponent). This should open the guard.

Once you have opened the guard, go about your pass whichever way you like to pass (toreando, double under, spin pass or shoulder pass or whatever).

If you need help with the actually passes and not just the breaks, Fedor>all, let me know.

Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote