Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

ESPN personalities rip into EliteXC

672 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  bbjd7 
#1 ·
In a sports weekend that featured the Stanley Cup finals (Detroit vs. Pittsburgh) and a preview of the NBA Finals (Celtics vs. Lakers), it was Kimbo Slice’s debut on CBS that garnered top billing on today’s ESPN news-talk programming.

And it’s clear that many of ESPN’s top personalities were not impressed with Gary Shaw and are impressed with Zuffa-related MMA content.

Jim Rome on Jim Rome is Burning shredded Gary Shaw & Elite XC, calling the matchmaking and production ‘amateur’. Rome said that it was unfortunate that CBS didn’t show a real fight like Jens Pulver vs. Urijah Faber instead of Kimbo Slice vs. James Thompson. Rome savaged the booking of Thompson as a guy who was ‘a tomato can’ with a deformed ear. “What, you couldn’t find an amputee?” Rome went on to defend Slice, saying that the guy was homeless and who wouldn’t take a shot at ‘all that jack and fame’ to headline MMA’s debut on network television.

Rome’s take was fascinating because it mirrored the sentiments of a lot of hardcore MMA fans.

More to come shortly…
http://www.fightopinion.com/2008/06/02/espn-personalities-rip-into-elite-xc/

I am not sure what to think because i don't know if the people criticizing it have been watching mma for a while or just watched this event for the first time.

#2 ·
I caught a piece of the Rome show while I was at the gym and I have no idea who the lady was but she said(paraphrasing)" Maybe I'm old school but I like to see strategy like in boxing. In MMA all they try to do is punch each other lights out, there's no strategy."

I almost fell off the ellipitical trainer I was laughing so hard. That statement alone simply showed her true ignorance and stupidity.

#3 ·
I watched a bit of ESPN today and one of the gentleman was commenting how MMA is comparable to a street fight, which at this point is ridiculous to come too.
You'd either have to go into it completely close minded, or only subject yourself to the early 90's MMA.
You can't really watch high level MMA and come to that conclusion, or at least, I don't see how.

#4 ·
i listened to rome for about ten years. he has never been a fan of mma, however, he also often would swear back in the day that he would never pimp any products. now he probably has a dozen sponsers. he seems to lay his allegience where the wind blows at times. he did have a great interview with pulver last week. sadly, i missed todays show!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.