Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

[OFFICIAL] Euro Cup 2008 Thread

15K views 488 replies 34 participants last post by  dontazo 
#1 ·
Euro Cup 2008: Austria/Switzerland

Every four years, Europe celebrates the greatest game on Earth with one of the biggest sporting tournaments known to man. The Euro Cup is the culmanation of Europe's 16 best footballing nations.

The Defending Champions, Greece, will be looking to prove skeptics wrong and successfully defend their title, however 15 other nations have come to Austria/Switzerland to try their luck at glory.

Here are your 16 contendors and 1st round Fixtures

The Euro Cup will start in 9 days!

Talk picks, results, reviews and analysis here!

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
Apparently my country isn't considered one of Europes 16 best footballing nations... *trying to act surprised* I guess I'll have to go with the closest there is then:

Go Sweden!

I don't know shit about football though. Btw, are we talking about the sport that Americans call soccer, or the thing where you run around holding the ball in your hands?
Ecb_Kyle said:
Argentina.
Lol, great pick!:thumbsup:

#8 ·
Spain's team is full of class.

Through from each group...

Portugal
Czech Republic

Germany
Croatia

France
Italy (Holland are close)

Spain
Sweden (maybe Greece)

Check out my bet that I've got on for the opening matches..
£20 on.....

Czech bt Switzerland
Portugal bt Turkey
Croatia bt Austria
Germany bt Poland
Spain bt Russia
France bt Romania

£20 for a £759 return...
Considering the teams on the right of my list there are good and the teams on the left are bad, I think my odds are good. Although it's likely there will be a draw in there somewhere to ruin it.

#21 ·
My wife is off to watch Foo Fighters tonight so in return for babysitting while she does it I get to have control over the remote for the weekend. Football during the day and Bedlam at night. I think now is the time to crack open a beer to get me in the mood.

#25 ·
Todays my birthday and I've got a game tonight so hopefully we win.

Can't wait for tomorrow, UFC 85 and EuroCup starts as well.

Reactions: plazzman
#26 ·
ive got a E20 on Russia 25/1.i saw St.Petersburg in the Uefa cup final and they impressed the hell out of me, ive also got a 10 on Croatia if they had eduardo it would be a 50.outside bets are the only way to go!

#27 ·
The past year I've been trying to follow soccer, just a general sports fan and this shit seems good to throw some money down on.

From what I've read the two best dogs in this whole Cup are Turkey and Russia. Good calls for underdogs? Germany would be the heavy favorite?

#30 ·
France ain't the same team as in years past, with Zidane and others gone. I was hearing people talking about Portugal having trouble scoring goals, but I think that midfield will get it done.

Has anybody seen this shit on Austria? There are odds for if the team allows less than 4 goals

#32 ·
Well obviously you'r not going to be the same team once Zidane leaves. But they still have probably one of the most stacked teams in the tourny.

Benzama, Henry, Malouda, Makelele, Thuram, Ribery, Alladier, Govou, Anelka - Damn homie, that's Affliction territory.

Austria is straight up garbage, if they weren't the hosts they would have never even dreamed of getting in this thing. In fact, their fans begged them to pull out due to the fact that they suck horse plop.

And yeah, I strongly doubt Portugal will have scoring problems as they have a seriously dynamic midfield. Sans Figo.

#35 ·
Well yes, that's true, but this tourny is all about prospects. Especially for France and The Netherlands. The Dutch team has some serious youngsters who fortunately, have already been tested on the international stage.

France has a couple younge boys as well. Their new 19 y.o striker, Karim Benzama has an appetite for goal, Ribery is only like 24 or something and is already being hailed as the new Zidane.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.