Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

K-1 Fighter Profile: Jerome Le Banner

33K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  gex 
#1 · (Edited)
Jerome Le Banner

Nickname: JLB, Geronimo, Battle Cyborg
Nationality: France
Date of birth: December 26, 1972 (1972-12-26) (age 35)
Place of birth: Le Havre, France
Height: 6'3" (1.90m)
Weight: 264.5 lb (120.0 kg/18.9 st)
Style: Kickboxing, Muay Thai
Stance: Southpaw
Years active 17 (1990-present)

Kickboxing record: 73-14-1, 1 NC

Total bouts: 92
Wins: 74
By knockout: 59
Losses: 16
By knockout: 9
Draws: 1
No contests: 1

Boxing record: 4-0-0

Total: 4
Wins: 4
By knockout: 3
Losses: 0

MMA record: 3-1-1

Total: 5
Wins: 3
Losses: 1
By submission: 1
Draws: 1

Fighter Bio

Jerome Le Banner, also known as "JLB", "Geronimo", "Battle Cyborg" and "The Bulldog of Normandy" is a French professional kickboxer and K-1 superstar, famous for his aggressive fighting style and knockout power.

Jérôme Le Banner was born in the French city of Le Havre, in the région of Normandy. Le Banner started training judo at the age of 6. When he was 14, Bruce Lee's Fist of Fury influenced him so much that he started practicing karate instead, while trying to incorporate techniques of Jeet Kune Do he had seen in the film. Jeet Kune Do gave him southpaw stance, which he has maintained throughout his career, even though he is right-handed.

At the age of 18, he debuted in his first Full Contact Kickboxing competitions. By 20 he held the ISKA French title and soon after that, he won the European belt against Stéphane Reveillon, and the Intercontinental belt in South Africa against Mike Bernardo.

On March 3, 1995 Jerome Le Banner made his K-1 debut, winning five round decision over Nokveed Devy. Two months later, on May 4, 1995 he made his first K-1 World Grand Prix appearance in Tokyo, Japan, knocking out both Masaaki Satake and Mike Bernardo, before losing to Peter Aerts in tournament finals.

On December 7, 2002 at K-1 World Grand Prix 2002, after defeating Musashi in the quarterfinals, and Mark Hunt in the semis, Le Banner faced three time World Champion Ernesto Hoost in tournament finals. After evenly fought first two rounds, Hoost shattered Le Banner's arm with three roundkicks in the third. Despite suffering near career ending injury, Le Banner was able to recover and returned to the ring six months later in K-1 Paris 2003, winning the fight by punch combinations over Belarusian Vitaly Akhramenko.

On December 2, 2006, after his loss against Semmy Schilt at K-1 World Grand Prix 2006 finals, Le Banner announced his semi retirement from tournament fighting, restricting future appearances to K-1's Superfight events.

In early 2007, after his fight at K-1 World GP 2007 in Yokohama he was forced to have a knee surgery and was not expected to return to the ring until 2008, however due to his another fast recovery K-1 announced that Le Banner will participate on September 29, 2007 at the K-1 World GP 2007 in Seoul Final 16 against Russian kickboxer Ruslan Karaev. Just two days before the fight, Karaev had to pull out and was replaced by a former Korean Taekwondo practitioner, Yong Soo Park. It took Le Banner only 0'54" seconds to knock out Park in the first round by straight punch and qualify himself for K-1 World GP 2007 Final held in December 8, 2007 held at the Yokohama Arena, Japan.

On December 8, 2007, in his 9th K-1 World GP appearance of his career, Le Banner defeated Choi Hong Man in the quarter finals by unanimous decision before facing the reigning K-1 champion Semmy Schilt in semis. Le Banner finished the first round up on scorecards. In the beginning of the second round Schilt landed a lowkick that seemed to hurt Le Banner's right knee, which he had surgery on in early 2007. The fight was eventually stopped by Le Banner's corner throwing in the towel to avoid further damage to an injured knee.

Titles held
2002 K-1 World Grand Prix Finalist
2001 K-1 World Grand Prix in Osaka Champion
2000 K-1 World Grand Prix in Nagoya Champion
1999 K-1 World Grand Prix 3rd Place
1996 I.S.K.A. World Super Heavyweight Thaiboxing Champion
1995 K-1 World Grand Prix Finalist
W.K.N. World Muay Thai Super Heavyweight Champion
French & European Kickboxing Champion

See less See more
#12 ·
MLS what are you saying ouch about haha
is it b/c more ppl seem to be posting here more than aerts hahah
i really don't understand how someone can like JLB over Aerts and im not a fan of both but Aerts is more fun to watch unless you enjoy watching ppl get ko'd b/c JLB fights always have ko's :) with him being the guy getting ko'd haha

#14 ·
MLS what are you saying ouch about hahais it b/c more ppl seem to be posting here more than aerts hahah
i really don't understand how someone can like JLB over Aerts and im not a fan of both but Aerts is more fun to watch unless you enjoy watching ppl get ko'd b/c JLB fights always have ko's :) with him being the guy getting ko'd haha
That could of been a shot at his, lack of a championship in K-1.

All people need to do is look at Aerts to see greatness, he doesn''t need to be talked about.

#15 ·
Okami-Fan said:
You do realize that Aerts has lost more times and been KO'd more times than JLB right. I hear all kinds of smack about JLB but he's usually the one doing the KOing. Ask that can Musashi, he knows! haha

#16 ·
Oh now we are bashing Aerts, do I need to bring up the head to head record for Aerts and JLB? ;)

#17 ·
My beef wasn't with you MLS! I was just pointing out facts to Mr. JLB Trash Talk over there. haha

I love Aerts but you gotta admit that JLB KO'd that mofo before too. I know JLB recieved the same from Aerts but you can't deny that Pete got dropped. Even though he don't have a Championship, he still has the least total losses and the least losses by KO out of the old school bad asses.

#19 ·
I hope he takes the GP this year. Not incredibly likely, but if someone has deserved to win the big one and not done it, its def JLB. The poor guy is matched up with Semmy and will probably have to face Remy if he gets past Semmy. Ill be rooting for him, he cant have very many GP's left in him. Unfortunately, i think this is gonna be Badr Hari's year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.