MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Off-hand training

View Single Post

Old 06-26-2006, 08:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Onganju
Outta My Head

Onganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don
Speed is really the only problem I do not have I got a pretty quick left jab.. so what else can be done...
Repitition is definitely key. If you want a good reference guide for MMA Striking, I would find Mark Hatmaker's "Savage Strikes." It is a good introductory guide for striking in MMA. It breaks down the Kinesthetics of punching pretty well, and it addressed elbow, knees and kicks too. This should be a good start, as you noted you're primarily a grappler. If you were an advanced striker, I wouldn't recommend it as readily. But at $10, there isn't too much to lose.

The reason why I noted getting a reference book first, is that you can get a an idea of the finer movements that have to go into the punch. From there, if you don't have anyone with boxing knowledge/experience, you can train technique with a better idea of what to correct. The first requirement for power in strikes is speed/acceleration. The second would be mass.

Remember: Force = Mass * Acceleration. If your able to get your arms moving at a decent speed, then you have to train the rest of your body to move along with it to lend mass to your punches. I could go on in length on it, but I think you get the point.

Queng leon queng tigre ecu tacacut, queca pa? - Pampangan Mandarigma Motto

My Blog <--READ IT!
Onganju is offline   Reply With Quote