MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Off-hand training

View Single Post

Old 06-27-2006, 11:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Don
Welterweight

The Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onganju
Repitition is definitely key. If you want a good reference guide for MMA Striking, I would find Mark Hatmaker's "Savage Strikes." It is a good introductory guide for striking in MMA. It breaks down the Kinesthetics of punching pretty well, and it addressed elbow, knees and kicks too. This should be a good start, as you noted you're primarily a grappler. If you were an advanced striker, I wouldn't recommend it as readily. But at $10, there isn't too much to lose.

The reason why I noted getting a reference book first, is that you can get a an idea of the finer movements that have to go into the punch. From there, if you don't have anyone with boxing knowledge/experience, you can train technique with a better idea of what to correct. The first requirement for power in strikes is speed/acceleration. The second would be mass.

Remember: Force = Mass * Acceleration. If your able to get your arms moving at a decent speed, then you have to train the rest of your body to move along with it to lend mass to your punches. I could go on in length on it, but I think you get the point.
I'll certinaly look into and I have plenty of Mass. 6'2" 250. not your typical grappler. and while I can throw decent punches and my form is not bad. Most of the MA I studied were striking forms I just had teachers that taught both and I excelled and felt more comfortable grappling, I think that might be it.. Comfort level I can throw a good punch but I just do not feel comfortable standing up and striking.. and yea my technique does need some work.. maybe alot.. espically with my off side. Thanks.

My BJJ and MMA Blog

BJJ Board

Use No Way as Way, Have No Limitation as Limitation.
Vincere Vel Mori

Yea I still exist.
The Don is offline   Reply With Quote