Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Matt Hamill Ultimate Fighter Tv

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  jimbo 
#1 ·
Wow, looks like he improved his standup, but no submissions? Hes going to really have to improve that aspect of his fighting!

:thumbsup:

Anyone else watch the match tonight ?

#2 ·
adminmma said:
Wow, looks like he improved his standup, but no submissions? Hes going to really have to improve that aspect of his fighting!

:thumbsup:

Anyone else watch the match tonight ?

Agreed - better standup, but he has a way to go, especially against quality opponents. Matt vs. Michael B., UFC should schedule it soon.

By the way, I didn't know Matt was to fight tonight. How do you hear about these upcoming fights? Another thread says Danny will fight Khalib, when did that come about?

#3 ·
As I said in the other thread, I think Matt is a diamond in the rough, but has along road ahead of him. His performance was completely dominant, but absolutely basic. A definite mismatch of strength more than anything else.

:dunno:

I got more entertainment value out of the last episode of TUF 3, where we briefly saw Shortfuse Herman challenge Matt to a takedown in the house. By the looks of it, Ed was regretting that little game as Matt held him down with one arm, while singing some obnoxious song.

#4 ·
I'm demanding they thrown in a match at UFC 62 where there is a match for another contract...Hamill .vs. Bisping. They hated each other and they are both damn good, it would be a good fight but Matt would come up with 2nd round TKO I bet. Anyone else want to see it?

Matt has never been good on his ground game or submission game. He always gets them down but just leaves them there. Thats what he did to Mike.

#6 ·
Rush said:
I'm demanding they thrown in a match at UFC 62 where there is a match for another contract...Hamill .vs. Bisping. They hated each other and they are both damn good, it would be a good fight but Matt would come up with 2nd round TKO I bet. Anyone else want to see it?

Matt has never been good on his ground game or submission game. He always gets them down but just leaves them there. Thats what he did to Mike.
Keep in mind, Matt had a reason why he did that with Mike. He said before the fight that he wasn't going to go to the ground because of his injury at the time, and he stuck to that gameplan. Luckily, it worked for him.

Against Jesse last night, Hamill showed a lot more, his ground and pound was sufficient to dominate his opponent. However, he's very unpolished still, and there's a lot of holes in his style that would be easily taken advantage of by someone seasoned in submissions... like Bisping.

At this point and time, if Hamill fought Bisping, I would bet on Bisping to take him by submission, or possibly a knockout. That's not to say Matt doesn't have the potential to become a much better fighter than Bisping in time, because I think the tools are there.

#7 ·
Gman said:
Keep in mind, Matt had a reason why he did that with Mike. He said before the fight that he wasn't going to go to the ground because of his injury at the time, and he stuck to that gameplan. Luckily, it worked for him.

Against Jesse last night, Hamill showed a lot more, his ground and pound was sufficient to dominate his opponent. However, he's very unpolished still, and there's a lot of holes in his style that would be easily taken advantage of by someone seasoned in submissions... like Bisping.

At this point and time, if Hamill fought Bisping, I would bet on Bisping to take him by submission, or possibly a knockout. That's not to say Matt doesn't have the potential to become a much better fighter than Bisping in time, because I think the tools are there.
i agree matt is good but he still has some things he needs to work on.
i definately see bisping winning if they schedule the fight soon.
he's just so aggressive.
i hope for matts sake it doesnt happen soon, give him a little more time

#8 ·
Bisping vs Hamill, not now, Matt is not ready. Bisping seems to have his stuff together, its meshing well (his JJ, stand up and takedown). Matt as one user said looked unpolished, i agree 100%.
He has his take downs, but no submissions, it doesnt look second nature to him yet where as a guy like Kendall and even Bisping just flow better.

Bisping vs Hamill would be a disaster at this stage and i would bet all my points on Bisping for the win! (and i like them both too )

#9 ·
adminmma said:
Bisping vs Hamill, not now, Matt is not ready. Bisping seems to have his stuff together, its meshing well (his JJ, stand up and takedown). Matt as one user said looked unpolished, i agree 100%.
He has his take downs, but no submissions, it doesnt look second nature to him yet where as a guy like Kendall and even Bisping just flow better.

Bisping vs Hamill would be a disaster at this stage and i would bet all my points on Bisping for the win! (and i like them both too )
yep u took the words right out of my mouth matt is getting better but not enough to fight somebody like bisping now!
it would be a shame for him to do so and lose, somehow i see it affecting him if he does, but i think he's smart and knows he needs time.
if u go on ufc.com theres an interview with him under multimedia, b4 the fight and he says so himself

#10 ·
boarderxcosta said:
those of you who said that Matt looks unpolished and has no submission may be right-- but Bisping is overrated and Matt could take him down at will---- I do not see him getting caught in an armbar or submission by Bisping because Matt is so strong---
We are all just speculating--- know one knows for sure until they fight--
and they should have if Bisping wasn't a prick and released the armbar in practice--- how far do you need to go to "practice an armbar" ??

Go Matt ......get revenge
Bisping got him in an armbar on the show though...thats what injured his arm to begin with.

#11 ·
those of you who said that Matt looks unpolished and has no submission may be right-- but Bisping is overrated and Matt could take him down at will---- I do not see him getting caught in an armbar or submission by Bisping because Matt is so strong---
We are all just speculating--- know one knows for sure until they fight--
and they should have if Bisping wasn't a prick and released the armbar in practice--- how far do you need to go to "practice an armbar" ??

Matt should retire immediately. Quit while he is ahead. There are too many holes in his game not to get severly injured soon. He's strong, but this isn't a strong man contest. :thumbsdown:

Bisbing would not allow the fight to get to the ground, and Matt's Jaw isn't solid enough to break Bisbings hands.

You guys are just being morbid.

#12 ·
^^yeah the only thing Matt has is takedowns. he keeps his hands down, no submissions or guard passes, and all he wanted to against Jesse is shove his head down and uppercut him.....Matt should go WWE because he won't make it in the UFC

#13 ·
During the whole season of TUF3 Matt Hammill was pissing me off, I mean all he kept saying was "none of these fighters are in my league" "he's not in my league," frankly it was making me angry. Really all he is is a great wrestler who wants to make a career out of mma. His strikes were terrible when he went up against Mike Nickels. He had many chances that he could of knocked nickels' head off but didn't capitalize. I agree his strikes were better at the TUF3 finale but he still has much work to do. He has intense takedowns, but what happens when they hit the ground, he overpowers and trys striking when he's in a guard? wow. not impressive. strength and wrestling is all he has. o ya and on the ground he either trys to "strike" or he just holds his opponent in place. And if their ever was a Bisbing vs. Hammill match, Michael Bisping would wrech Matt Hammill.

#17 · (Edited)
Gman said:
...That's not to say Matt doesn't have the potential to become a much better fighter than Bisping in time, because I think the tools are there.
Are you joking??? Matt Hamill is a strong, rough - but primative wrestler. Michael Bisping's ground game is genuinely underrated. The man has been learning ju-jitsu since the age of 8, and fights extremely well off his back.

The commentator's on the UFC keep calling Bisping 'the brawling Brit' - that to me appears a bit ignorant. Bisping does have killer strikes and is proper vicious, but is also pretty tasty on the floor and is pretty much well rounded. How many different varieties of submission attempts did Bisping try against Josh Hayes? (too many to remember). Ortiz himself said that the only person who came close to submitting him in training was Bisping - and thats from an ex-world champion who has never been submitted.

Matt Hamill will only pick up the basics of submission fighting, he's left it far too late to master ju-jitsu. And Hamill will never get to the level of kick-boxing that Bisping is at.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.