Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

New some tips..new to BJJ

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  IronMan 
#1 ·
hey guys, been training at American Top Team for a little over a month now with a buddy of mine. We both have our strengths and weaknesses when it comes to training. When I am in his guard, I have difficulty passing it. He is alot better than me and is a real threat when he has me in the guard. However, when I am able to achieve a side mount or full mount position, he has difficulty from countering it and I usually can control the match from there. Anyone have any advice that can help me break his guard? When I try to stand up with him and push him off, he is able to hold on. We are both under 140lbs and stand around 6ft tall to you guys a better idea. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
when it comes to pure jiu jitsu there is only 1 way to pass the guard and thats to apply pressure wiht your hands on your oponents stomach and to dig your elbow in his theigh and usually he willopen up to do the pain or due to you simply "prying" his legs apart. Of coarse is he is realyl good/tough/been doing it awhile he might be able to withstand this. Of coarse you could reach benind yourself and simply try to pull his legs off you but this is not a technical BJJ move.

So when in doubt wait it out, you guys cant sit still if your inhis guared eh should be looking for guilotene's and triangles and armbars and kimura's etc etc and when he moves aroudn to attempt a move is your chance, especially an armbar or a kimura because he has to "break" his guard to apply these moves. Gulletine is ment to applied with a good guard locked down so dont keep your head down on his chest thats common mistake you want to sit upright while digging your elbws in.

#3 ·
Every once in a while I have this problem, I find that if you start by trying force your way out your opponent has the automatic tendency to bring the legs up for a triangle. If you grab and control one of the legs there is a nasty leg lock that can come out of it.

As for just passing the guard, the best time to do that is in the initial takedown. Use takedowns that will put you in sidecontrol. The other side of that is, if you are going for a double leg, to swing your legs through the guard really quickly.

#4 ·
Try this for breaking his closed guard:

1.Establish your Base and Posture, (Base -makes it difficult for your opponent to off balance your body,Posture-makes it difficult for your opponent to effectively apply sweeps and submissions.)

There are different kind of postures that you can do:

a)Example is Posturing up: by looking straight ahead,and swaying your back,(it will make your opponent harder to pull your head down)

b)An example of different postures that you can do with your hands(stagger your hands,hands on his bicep, hands on his armpits etc.),try not to put your hands on the mat ,that is asking for submission:),and if possible always put your hands in front of your head( so he can not sweep you)

c)Spread your knees apart as wide as possible , sit on your ankles and keep your weight and butt down(for base).

Your purpose is to keep his back flat on the ground and not to break your posture.

2.Uncross the opponents ankles/control the legs

an example of uncrossing his ankles(if he is in a closed guard)

a)your arm in his armpits or on his biceps

b)stand up ,still holding him down with your arms;

slightly turn left and put your right leg inbetween his buttcheeks;

c)kneel down (base down) - your knee should come in between his cheeks and your chest.

You will end up with your left knee on the mat and your sitting on your left ankle, your right foot on the mat with your right knee pointing up.

d) Spread your knees apart as wide as possible.( Point your right knee towards the center of your opponent's body,Point your left knee to your left (away from his body).

e) Tuck your elbows into the side of your body,hunchback and turtle your neck(to avoid submissions).

f). Keep your weight and your butt down.

g). Keep your right knee and thigh between his legs.

That should open his guard.

3.Secure and control your opponents hips

Keep him flat on his back ,do not give him any space so he can not move his hips.

4.Lock in upper body(go for cross face and dig in for underhook)

5.Pass under his legs(by doing, double under hook pass, leg on shoulder pass or any variation of this kind of passes) or over a leg(usually i pass on whatever leg he put down, or i can force one of his leg down then pass over it)

I hope this help.

#6 ·
"stand upin his closed guard and walk right over him, if he doesnt release you can just go right back to your base- posture position."

But if you stand up and try to walk over him,..you will probably be swept and he will end up mounted on you.

but hey ,if it works ....do it.(that is what we usually do in the gym,experiment and learn from it)

#7 ·
Just a thought, if you're in training you shouldn't strike at it. What I would do, especially against someone stronger than me, is lie down and put a forearm on their throat until you can feel them ease up or get distracted trying to keep their chin down. Once they do that, pop through with the hips and into a mount or side control, depending on where you are more confortable.

#8 ·
I am also 140 and about 6'2". when you stand up and he is able to hang on you should try to stand up and move your hips as far forward as you can, this will make it incredibly hard for him to hang on, and getting an elbow in his stomach and a hand on his thigh/leg should get you there.

#9 ·
Spartan42 said:
I am also 140 and about 6'2". when you stand up and he is able to hang on you should try to stand up and move your hips as far forward as you can, this will make it incredibly hard for him to hang on, and getting an elbow in his stomach and a hand on his thigh/leg should get you there.
I don't know who you're training with, but if you did this to me I would switch my target to your legs and pop one of your kneecaps. Plus, if you're 6'2" and 140 (I'm 5'6" and 150) then I'm going to roll up out of guard and slam on on your back, either with a doubleleg or a hip toss, depending on where I catch you.

If you are that much taller then your opponent (and you sound like Kendall Grove proportions) then I might even shoot for my low single to kneebar combinations.

Obviously, this is stuff I picked up after a long period of training, but all of this stuff can be done with basic wrestling and some *****.

#11 ·
Try grabbing onto the arm. If you pull the arm out like an armbar it keeps them from being able to tense up alot of their body and it gives you more control over them. The strengths of the legs and tendons in the groin area take alot of conditioning before they can just lock down a solid traingle, but the arm thing helps.

Also, don't just limit yourself to a figure four, tighten it up by moving the leg that is against their neck farther up your leg until it is at your knee, then you can strighten out your legs. This really helps to maximize the power of the choke, at least that's what I've found.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.