Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Did EliteXC cheapen its own Heavyweight Division and its Champion???

2K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  rockybalboa25 
#1 · (Edited)
Now BBj7 brought up the point that the reason Silva/Eiliers wasn't aired was because they couldn't afford to have three title fights in a two hour span. So instead of being a co-main event (Like most championship fights) it was actually put on the prelims. Prelims are the unaired fights that gives the live audience feel like they are getting there money's worth. Are only chance of seeing it is if a whole bunch of fights ended quickly, watch Showtime, or go on there website and pay $3.95 to view it. Now I can understand that putting this fight in the main event would have been dangerous. If all three title fights went 5 rounds it could have gone past the two hour mark (Thats including the fighter bio's introductions, and interviews). My question, did EliteXC cheapen there HW division by not airing a championship fight? Also, how does this effect Antonio Silva?

IMO: Just the fact that they couldn't wait for the next EXC event to put this fight on shows there really not interested in there HW division! Also, it shows Antonio will still be No.2 next to Kimbo even though he is the champion!

#2 ·
It is completly dangerous what they're doing with Silva.

He is a real heavyweight fighter. Well rounded and dangerous. They need to showcase him. Give him the spotlight the same way it was given to Kimbo. Allow his fanbase to build.

He's more marketable in my opinion. Marketing him would pay off in dividends.

#3 ·
I agree, if a title had to be put in the prelims it should have been the welterweight title fight.

One thing to consider, and this goes two ways. For the less hardcore MMA/Kimbo fans, I mean Kimbo is the face of Elite XC, why not have the HW title fight on the CBS live show, so Kimbo fans could now see that Kimbo can chase a title. Or did they put Silva in the prelims on purpose so the Kimbo fans won't see Silva. If people start asking for a Silva VS Kimbo match right now it would never happen, disappointing to fans, and if it ever happens Kimbo would get destroyed.

#5 ·
They cheapened their own HW Division, but they also really cheapened their own MW division as well. Did anyone else catch when they showed Anderson Silva in the crowd? The announcers were calling the him the best pound for pound fighter on the planet and they even mentioned he was the current UFC Middle Weight Champion. This was all just before their own MW title fight!

#19 ·
I'd rather that than have them say Lawler is the best Middleweight in the World. I'm glad they actually tell the truth.

#6 ·
I still cant believe they didnt air this fight, its really absurd!! Hey Antonio, your by far the most talented fighter in our HW division, and the HW divisions are always super popular wether its in MMA or boxing but we'll gonna put you on the prelims to make way for a couple chicks and Nick Diaz, ok? WTF :confused02:

#20 ·
I beg to differ. Silva has to be considerd a top 10 heavyweight.

Wait, it wasn't already cheapened when Eiliers was signed to fight for the title?
Only as much as the UFC was. Eilers was given a UFC title shot against Andrei Arlovski off a fresh loss to Paul Buentello. A title shot off of a loss? Yet alot of fans criticize EliteXC for giving him a shot when he has recently won 10 of his last 11 fights.

It's a bit of a catch 22.

Reactions: Bonnar426
#17 ·
Wait, it wasn't already cheapened when Eiliers was signed to fight for the title?

Reactions: Davisty69
#21 ·
Antonio Silva is legit.

It was definitely a screwover on Silva IMO. They really need to market that guy instead of Kimbo.

Other than Carano and Kimbo, it seems EXC is hesitant to get solidly behind any of it's fighters that aren't already big like Carano and Slice.

I think Lawler and Silva are incredibly marketable!

#23 ·
if they hadn't show Nick's fight i'd have been irrate. i've been a huge Nick Diaz fan since he began his televised career with the UFC. even though it was clearly lopsided on papers it's a 3rd of my reason for tuning in.

but i agree... the HW fight was important to show. if they couldnt show it... they shouldnt have had it on the card. oh well, at least there were no busted retired strippers vying for attention, bill goldburg or circus acts. gotta continue to give CBS credit for cleaning up EXC's show this time around.

EXC should throw Kimbo to Silva after his next fight. build up the following for Antonio -- hopefully. they need to do something with him (Slice) that pays dividends before he loses to a nobody.

#24 ·
Eilers only got the title shot at UFC 53 against Arlovski because Buentello got injured and there was no else available to fight.

Ironically enough, Buentello recovered in time to fight on that card (against Kevin Jordon) but by then the Arlovski-Eilers fight was booked and set.

#25 ·
This adds even more merit to my argument.

I've seen numerous posters say that Eilers is a can who shouldn't have had a title shot, Bigfoot should go to UFC and so fourth.

Eilers has won 10 out of 11 of his last fights so he got a shot at a title. If he sucked so much, why was he eligible for a title shot in the beloved UFC? Because Buentello was injured and they had nobody else? I think they could have found someone else had they wanted to.

Remember, Buentello recoverd in time to fight for the belt, but Eilers was still the one who fought Arlovski.

I think the EliteXC critics are great at pointing out the faults of the org, and not as good at comparing and contrasting in an unbiased manner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.