MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Casual MMA fans make me want to puke

View Single Post

Old 07-30-2008, 06:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
sove
Bantamweight

sove is on another level nowsove is on another level nowsove is on another level nowsove is on another level nowsove is on another level nowsove is on another level nowsove is on another level nowsove is on another level nowsove is on another level nowsove is on another level nowsove is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnar426 View Post
Now now, go easy on the casual fans! Remember we were all casual fans once upon a time. We all started out like idiots (like the people on that video) at first. Then as time went by we started to learn a little bit more about the sport.
Honestly, I started watching MMA about 4 years ago. All I watched were the first few UFCs because I wasn't aware of the current events. But from the beginning, I felt drawn to understand what was happening, not the blood or violence. I wanted to learn everything I could about the sport. And I NEVER tried to talk about it like I understood what was going on. I asked questions. Then, as I watched newer UFC events and Pride, I came to understand the beauty of the sport. So, because I didn't act like the asses this thread is targeted at, I don't understand them and have a hard time empathizing with their ignorance. My hope is that a majority of them grow into mature fans, but I don't have a ton of hope.

My opinion is that MMA is going to see a dive in popularity in the next 10 years or so. MMA isn't going anywhere, but it's going to recede at some point. Most of us on this board will be lifelong enthusiasts, but most of the casual fans aren't going to be there in a few years. I hope I'm wrong about this, but in the eyes of so many "fans," blood and violence are what MMA is about. I hope someone figures out how to educate them. The growth of MMA is a good thing for the most part.
sove is offline   Reply With Quote