Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Fisher vs. Guillard at UFC 90 in Chicago

2K views 37 replies 23 participants last post by  ZZtigerZZ81 
#1 · (Edited)
Fisher vs. Guillard at UFC 90 in Chicago
Monday, August 04, 2008 - by Tom Hamlin - MMAWeekly.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MMAWeekly.com on Monday confirmed that Ultimate Fighting Championship lightweights Spencer “The King” Fisher and Melvin “The Young Assassin” Guillard will face each other at UFC 90 in Chicago on Oct. 25.

Both fighters have received bout agreements and are in the process of signing them.

Fisher, 32, is coming off a tough decision victory over sometime training partner Jeremy Stephens at the Ultimate Fighter Finale on June 21. The durable Miletich Fighting Systems fighter has won seven out of 10 performances in the Octagon since debuting at Ultimate Fight Night 2 in 2005. Though he slid against contenders Frankie Edgar and Hermes Franca in 2007, Fisher has always been considered among the top-tier in the division.

Guillard, 25, has had mixed results in the UFC after debuting on the second season of “The Ultimate Fighter.” The New Orleans native has faced a variety of personal issues outside the cage, despite several impressive performances since debuting at The Ultimate Fighter 2 finale in 2005. Guillard’s recent dispatch of Dennis Siver at UFC 86 was quick and explosive, two words that are often attributed to him.

Fisher’s trainer, Pat Miletich, is none too happy about the match-up.

“Spencer has no reason to fight that guy,” Miletich said. “I don’t think Melvin’s earned the right to fight him yet. I think Spencer should be fighting somebody where he’s got something to gain.”

Still, Miletich is confident that his student will emerge victorious.

“Spencer obviously would be the favored guy,” he continued. “Melvin’s a dangerous kid, but I don’t think Melvin’s a polished fighter at Spencer’s level.”

Fisher and Guillard were unreachable for comment."

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=6820&zoneid=13

This should be a kickass stand up war and I loves me some Spencer. I do somewhat agree with Miletich's assessment of Melvin and his statis- he did just come back to the UFC. Even as a fan of Spencer I'll ackowledge he needs to string some W's together if he wants to make a run up the ladder at LW.

Could be a dangerous fight but I'll take Spencer to slip Melvin's bombs and connect enough for the win.

EDIT: Sweet! Thanks Legend! :thumbsup:

See less See more
#2 ·
Man I love watching both guys and don't want to pick a winner right now. I agree with Miletich that Fisher should be fighting somebody that could get him in the title hunt because even though I like Melvin, Melvin won't do that right now for somebody.

P.S. Walker just go to advanced edit and you will be able to fix the title:thumbsup:

#11 · (Edited)
Watch Fisher vs Stout II again. If Spencer comes out looking anything close to that he wins hands down.

He was working the whole gamut of MMA skills. Boxing, Muay Thai, leg kicking, head kicking, grappling, jits, that fight had it all. His combo's were quick and they mixed up all aspects of his striking game very well.

Melvin is always a dangerous fighter. He hits with serious power and can certainly work the ground. If he ever really gets his head entirely in the game and keeps it there he may go somewhere.

His problems in this fight are quite simply that he does not possess the requisite skill set to beat Fisher. His transitions are not nearly as smooth and Fisher just rolls from one attack to the next so fluidly. I think his only real hope in this bout is to catch Spencer w/a good solid punch and knock him out. I don't believe he has the high cardio level to get thim through the sort of 2 and 3 round punishment style fight that Fisher seems to get involved in.

#6 ·
Well if Fisher should be fighting someone who will put him in contention for the title, where are they going to find the guy he can beat? He has been given ample opportunities over the last 2 years. Hermes KO'd him, and Edgar dominated him on the ground. Fisher looked good against Stephens and Stout.....atta boy. His last dominant victory was against the youngest UFC competitor ever who had 2 weeks notice. And please let Rogan be on assignment for this fight, God if I have to hear the almost lusting praise Joe has for this guy one more time......AHHHHH!

Hey Fisher, your star is a little brighter then Melvin's right now but I wouldn't consider you the clear favorite. Actually I am picking Melvin. Sloppy, yes. Put Melvin has the power and strength.

Here's a conservative list of LW that could beat Fisher not counting the champ. Several on this list would dominate him.
Rich Clementi, Nate Diaz, Sherk, Maynard, Edgar, Griffin, Wiman, Tavares, Franca, Florian, Huerta, Joe Stephensen, Manny Gamburiyan, Guida, Danzig

#26 ·
Here's a conservative list of LW that could beat Fisher not counting the champ. Several on this list would dominate him.
Rich Clementi, Nate Diaz, Sherk, Maynard, Edgar, Griffin, Wiman, Tavares, Franca, Florian, Huerta, Joe Stephensen, Manny Gamburiyan, Guida, Danzig
Pretty sure Wiman got KTFO by a flying knee from Fisher. Spencer isn't my favorite fighter, but he has some impressive wins and could hang with most of the guys on that list.

#14 ·
My thoughts exactly.

I remember Melvin's old hype train on this forum. CRAZY. Some respected members were honestly saying things like his striking was better then BJ etc. Melvin is a good HL Reel fighter, but he needs to improve fast if he wants to hang with the wrestler loaded 155 division.

Spencer wins this fight, bar any big punches.

#9 ·
True. If Franca can catch Spencer with one of his severely sloppy yet powerful haymakers, Guillard surely can.

Spencer probably will outstrike Guillard but it'd be a much safer bet if he took this one to the ground. Guillards explosive and powerful and has the ability to end this fight on the feet while I think Fisher easily outclasses him on the ground.

#12 ·
Man, I am so hoping to see Spence bust Melvin's punk ass. Melvin is a guy that I wish only the worst for. I can't stand him and I wish that his career with the UFC would have ended with the Clementi fight. He is such a loud mouth punk with no class that I would hate to see him beat a guy like Fisher.

#16 ·
That's true Damone, but would you advise Spencer to stand with Melvin the whole time? He did afterall get caught by a horrible but powerful striker in Hermes Franca.

I think Spencer is the better striker as well, but things happen.. I say he plays it safe and only keeps it standing when he has too. Melvin is a way better striker than Hermes and with as much if not more power.

He has a punchers chance in this fight.

That being said, I'm picking Fisher to win.

#18 ·
Wow this fight has explosive written all over it. :thumb03:I know both of these guys are willing to swing for the fences, but i see Fisher ducking a punch and taking Melvin down for some gnp.

Fisher by guillotine in the 2nd

#19 ·
I dunno, I've watched a few video's of Melvin lately (mainly from threads on this forum) and he seems like he has his shit together now. Don't get me wrong, he has dug himself into the deepest hole possible with his ridiculous behavior but I think for now he has his shit together. Therefore I think he will take Fisher very seriously and that being the case I think he will win the fight. He won't be too reckless but I think Melvin will weight for a missed punch and leave Fisher KTFO, easily. A good Melvin might be a serious contender one day. A good Fisher, we have already seen.

#30 ·
It's kind of bold to say Melvin WON'T catch him. I mean, Spencer got caught by Hermes Franca. A dude with horrible technique in his striking.

#23 ·
Surprised Melvin got so much love in this match-up from the first page. Then I read on and it was back to normal.

Halebop hates Fisher as much as BloodJunkie hates Guillard. :)

I think Guillard stands a good chance to outstrike Fisher. He is bigger, stronger, and quicker. And if you think those attributes can't overcome technique, ask Frankie Edgar what he thinks about Maynard (sure its a different style but it is still size and power beating technique).

I can't see Fisher keeping this standing for long though. He is smart and generally not cocky.

#32 ·
Surprised Melvin got so much love in this match-up from the first page. Then I read on and it was back to normal.

Halebop hates Fisher as much as BloodJunkie hates Guillard. :)

I think Guillard stands a good chance to outstrike Fisher. He is bigger, stronger, and quicker. And if you think those attributes can't overcome technique, ask Frankie Edgar what he thinks about Maynard (sure its a different style but it is still size and power beating technique).

I can't see Fisher keeping this standing for long though. He is smart and generally not cocky.
Yeah, I'm still a big hater! It's good to know that in an unpredictable world there are some things that are constant. lol

IMO his only chance is landing a big right hand, if he doesn't he will be outworked on the feet and taken down and then outworked there. I see this fight ending on the ground with Melvin tapping and then...........throwing a temper tantrum, crying and running his mouth recklessly while reminding us of all the hardships he has endured and that he is from the streets......FO LIFE ******! :thumb02:

#24 ·
Fisher is just as fast, if not faster than Melvin....only he's as such with all his limbs and footwork.

Melvin just has a cannon of a right hand.

#29 ·
I dunno man, you have a good argument, but Spencer is quick man. The speed he was throwing combos (punches, kicks, knees together) against Stout was impressive. Melvin's hands are a blur when he throws, but Spencer just seems to move faster overall to me...comes at you from different angles of attack.

Melvin throws fast, but doesn't move fast is what im trying to articulate. Joe daddy dropped him with a fairly lazy jab. Spencer would have dodged that.

Reactions: ZZtigerZZ81
#35 ·
yeah I haven't been a Guillard fan in a while, ever since he tested positive for cocaine. I don't want to start a drug debate but I can understand and forgive the stupidity of a positive steroid test or weed but to quote Rick James: Cocaine is a helluva drug. And to use it within 3 days of main eventing a UFN...well I just wrote him off because I thought no one could be that stupid and turn it around. LOL.

But I enjoy his style and its fun watching at least one good clean 45 second KO during a PPV and Melvin is always capable of bringing that. Somewhere on this forum there is a link to a video post Siver and he sounded like he has made some serious changes and is sincerely apologetic for his past behavior. If he keeps testing negative for riding the white horse and keeps improving and delivering KOOTN's then I see no reason he couldn't redeem himself. Leben and Diego have...for the most part.

So in his two fights since then he was beat by a very good Clementi who has never been KOed and took some good shots. But then Melvin was explosive in his last fight with Siver. Honestly I give a 50/50 chance of one of those outcomes in this next fight but I don't think Fisher has the chin of Clementi but I think Fisher doesn't have that "always move forward coz I have a strong chin" that Clementi has so he might catch Melvin with some slick counter shots, get him down and submit him. But I think Melvin is going to catch him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.