Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

religious fighters

4K views 52 replies 22 participants last post by  pt447 
#1 ·
can you be religious and still fight for entertainment.......

#3 ·
i'm just disgusted when a fighter thanks god for all the work the fighter did. anyone that thinks that God had anything to do with the hard work and preparation for the fight is batty! i mean, it's just another example of delegating the good onto god while ignoring the bad completely, or taking credit for that... either god helped you both win and/or lose, or not. can't have one or the other!

#5 ·
everytime i think of religious fighter i think of vitor belfort when he beat marvin eastman and couldnt stop crying and saying how much he loved jesus even during the replay of what happend all he could say wa he loved jesus then the guy takes away the mic and vitors like I HAVE MORE TO SAY:laugh: then when he fights randy the third time he has that creepy music saying god will protect him:dunno:

#8 ·
FunkDoctor said:
The better question is why not?

The fact is christians believe that talents are bestowed by God. Fighting is their talent therefore they credit God. Pretty simple equation. If it helps them in their lives I really don't care.
I totally agree. I think they are saying "I thank God I was able to do this in my life." Not, "God gave me this victory." Think about it, God is Righteous and just, if he helped johnny fighter win, that would be like cheating. :dunno:

#9 ·
FunkDoctor said:
The better question is why not?

The fact is christians believe that talents are bestowed by God. Fighting is their talent therefore they credit God. Pretty simple equation. If it helps them in their lives I really don't care.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I can understand that

#10 ·
pt447 said:
i'm just disgusted when a fighter thanks god for all the work the fighter did. anyone that thinks that God had anything to do with the hard work and preparation for the fight is batty! i mean, it's just another example of delegating the good onto god while ignoring the bad completely, or taking credit for that... either god helped you both win and/or lose, or not. can't have one or the other!

ya i hate that shit...

infact i just hate religion... it seems to be what causes 90% of the worlds problems...

repped for this

#11 ·
Organik said:
ya i hate that shit...

infact i just hate religion... it seems to be what causes 90% of the worlds problems...

repped for this
If we were to be realistic, humanity in general would be responsible for 100% of the worlds problems out side of Natural Disasters. If you're going to scapegoat, at least be truthful.

#14 · (Edited)
JawShattera said:
god is just an imaginary friend for adults

And not only that its being brainwashed. Im glad i wasnt brainwashed into that stuff because when i see religious people i feel sorry for them, especially wne they speak out about it.

this isnt bashing by the way
BTY God is real hes not imaginary...lol all creation proclaims his Majesty

lol no matter how u look at any culture ur being brainwashed lol

that statement is just insane like that...u just have to decide if u wanna go to heaven or hell

But on the Subject

I am God Fearing...and for a while i battled could i watch Fights.....i finally can to the conclusion that yea its cool as long as its not done in hate...i mean MMA is about skill and striving to be the best

#15 ·
liveson777 said:
BTY God is real hes not imaginary...lol all creation proclaims his Majesty

lol no matter how u look at any culture ur being brainwashed lol

that statement is just insane like that...u just have to decide if u wanna go to heaven or hell

But on the Subject

I am God Fearing...and for a while i battled could i watch Fights.....i finally can to the conclusion that yea its cool as long as its not done in hate...i mean MMA is about skill and striving to be the best
wow...WOW... "creation proclaims his Majesty" only to those who believe he exists. to others, we are perfectly happy waiting for discoveries to tell us what we want to know. i'm not just gunna jump on the easy answer to satiate my own desire for answers.

but, since this is an impossible topic to discuss with people whoh choose to believe in God, i'm not gunna go any further unless asked!

though i do have one question... you said "you came to the conclusion you COULD watch fights", since they are a skillfull competition and not out of hate. well, were you "allowed" to watch the Tito/Shamrock trilogy since that was out of hate for each other???

#17 ·
f-dog said:
Why not? What you're really asking is 'is fighting a sin?' Personally I do not believe that it is sinful when two willing participants agree to fight each other in a controlled and regulated environment. Street fighting is another story.
Exactly,well said, UFC is a combat SPORT.

#21 ·
JawShattera said:
no god exists on this earth whether it be moko-mongo of africa, *********** of china, dingo-mama of austrailia or god in north america. I dont understand how one could beleive in these rediculous things. I just do not get it
it's a weakness of will, and a general, deep-rooted need to have answers that are more "amazing" that reality.

as if science isn't amazing enough...:dunno:

#22 ·
Guess Ill weigh on this real quick.

Anything used in an inappropriate manner is dangerous. If you put a gun in the hand of someone who is psycotic, then they are likely to kill someone. If you take the same gun and give it to someone who uses it for its intended purpose...which is for protection...then it only harms those who are breaking in to that persons house.

So it is with religion. I agree that there are many people who make Christianity look bad because they are out there trying to pass laws against homosexuals and pushing bibles in the faces of people who could really care less. They take scriptures out of context and try to make them apply to all of Christianity. Even worse, as mentioned above, they run to Congress and try to get thier mandates placed on the population as a whole. As a Christian, I apologize for people such as this. There is much in the Bible that is debatable and subject to interpretation...so I left the theology that makes Christianity the monster it is today a long time ago. Today I focus on the message of Jesus Christ...which is to love all people, regardless of where they come from, what they do or who they are associated with. The religious Christians of today are the ones I fight against(didn't Jesus do that?)...not the people out there just living thier lives. I also believe that there are people out there that can benefit from Jesus' message. Ive seen those who were wrapped up in drugs, alcohol, abusive relationships, etc. use the message of the love of Christ to give them a positive direction to focus thier energy after recovery. Christianity in and of itself is not bad...but in the hands of people with evil motives, it most certianly can be.

#23 ·
benefactor said:

Anything used in an inappropriate manner is dangerous. If you put a gun in the hand of someone who is psycotic, then they are likely to kill someone. If you take the same gun and give it to someone who uses it for its intended purpose...which is for protection...then it only harms those who are breaking in to that persons house.

So it is with religion. I agree that there are many people who make Christianity look bad because they are out there trying to pass laws against homosexuals and pushing bibles in the faces of people who could really care less. They take scriptures out of context and try to make them apply to all of Christianity. Even worse, as mentioned above, they run to Congress and try to get thier mandates placed on the population as a whole. As a Christian, I apologize for people such as this. There is much in the Bible that is debatable and subject to interpretation...so I left the theology that makes Christianity the monster it is today a long time ago. Today I focus on the message of Jesus Christ...which is to love all people, regardless of where they come from, what they do or who they are associated with. The religious Christians of today are the ones I fight against(didn't Jesus do that?)...not the people out there just living thier lives. I also believe that there are people out there that can benefit from Jesus' message. Ive seen those who were wrapped up in drugs, alcohol, abusive relationships, etc. use the message of the love of Christ to give them a positive direction to focus thier energy after recovery. Christianity in and of itself is not bad...but in the hands of people with evil motives, it most certianly can be.
i respect that! there needs to me more people like you, then maybe so many people wouldn't hate religion!!! lol

#24 ·
God is real...but religion is fake. (Directed to PT and Liveson and JawShattera up there^)

SOmething created us, but IT didn't create us to spend our lives in fear of sinning and spending every waking moment dedicated to IT. It's silly to believe that, seriously, there's no other word to describe religion better than "silly".

Go do some research on Quantam Physics and Theoretical Physics. James Arthur Ray is also has some good theories, not religious, about things pertaining to Quantam Physics and such. Anyway do some research, it will do you some good, some mindblowing advances in technology are happening right now that most aren't aware of. Try learning about the theory of parallel universes and stuff and then try to think about religion.

#25 ·
WouldLuv2FightU said:
God is real...but religion is fake. (Directed to PT and Liveson and JawShattera up there^)

SOmething created us, but IT didn't create us to spend our lives in fear of sinning and spending every waking moment dedicated to IT. It's silly to believe that, seriously, there's no other word to describe religion better than "silly".

Go do some research on Quantam Physics and Theoretical Physics. James Arthur Ray is also has some good theories, not religious, about things pertaining to Quantam Physics and such. Anyway do some research, it will do you some good, some mindblowing advances in technology are happening right now that most aren't aware of. Try learning about the theory of parallel universes and stuff and then try to think about religion.
that stuff is fun, all well and good, but they are just abstract theories. there is no way to prove parrallel universes, just like there is no way to prove a God. IMO, theories such as those, do us no good, and are just as fantastical as religion. but, parallel universists don't try to influence life here on earth, in this universe, so i have no problem with them!

#26 ·
benefactor said:

I am a very humble Christian who doesn't know whats right for you and you don't know whats right for me. I don't find sin in "curse words", drugs, or sex or any of that other bullshit, I trust my instincts (don't be greedy, try not to be an asshole etc.) coz man ****ed up my religion centuries ago.
I find it laughable that MMA would be considered a sinny- sin-sin If I have it wrong, I hope hell has MMA:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.