MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Jake Sheilds Takes All Challenges Even At 185.

View Single Post

Old 08-08-2008, 07:18 PM   #37 (permalink)
rockybalboa25
On a Rampage
 
rockybalboa25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,845
Blog Entries: 1
rockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatnessrockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatnessrockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatnessrockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatnessrockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatnessrockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatnessrockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatnessrockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatnessrockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatnessrockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatnessrockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatness
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpimp88 View Post
Gates and buys included, the UFC didn't have an annual profit until last year. UFC 60 may have had profits, but I am speaking annually. Keep this information in mind when looking at Affliction, and you will realize that they did incredible for their first show with pretty much no sponsors aside from Trump.
Not that I'm surprised, but you are wrong again. The UFC did not have one PPV in 2007 that did not show a profit. However the company's profits were almost nonexistent. This is because of the huge payout in the purchase of PRIDE. Ever since 2004 the UFC has been in the black as far as profit margins. Pulling a year end profit margin figure does not rate the success of a company, especially when they have gone through a major merger. The company's success can be shown in whether their product is making a profit, which the selling of PPV's were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
They pay their fighters well? Good for them. Probably keeps the morale up. And hey, these are the men doing combat in the cage, they are the reason that these orgs make any money at all. It's good to hear that they're being taken care of.
First of all Affliction doesn't fight in a cage. Second of all I am all for fighters making this kind of money. The problem is that no company can afford to pay them that amount of money, including Affliction. If Affliction keeps paying these kind of salaries they will go out of business.


Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
The Villes loss was what a week ago? Before That loss he was on a 5 fight win streak with a 34-5 record, wins over Josh Koscheck and Kenny Florian. Still wasn't ranked.
I'd say the losses to Parisyan and Burkman probably had something to do with that. Also the fact the five wins were not against top fighters.


Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
The question is where will their fighters be ranked next year, 1 or 2 losses from key guys throw off rankings quite effectivly.
A loss to a top fighter doesn't drop a fighter out of the rankings. In order for that to happen another fighter has to beat him that isn't in the rankings. For example should Rampage not be considered LHW elite, because of his loss to Griffin. Should Arlovski or Barnett drop out of the top 10 heavyweights after one of them loses to the other.


Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
Wow! Aren't you the same guy who said "Sheilds shot himself in the foot when he deciced to take the money EliteXC offerd him........rather than fighting the best...

So now you're saying that he should be concerned with money?
No what I am saying is moving to DREAM wouldn't move him up in the rankings or benefit him financially, so why go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
If you're asking what I honestly think about Huerta and his ambitions.........Well he is 6-0 in the UFC. Now according to you, only the best fight in the UFC. So he's looking pretty valuable to me.
I'll be the first to admit that UFC protects certain fighters. Huerta is one of those guys, by not fighting top guys. Mostly they didn't want the Sports Illustrated Cover boy to lose. Don't get me wrong his win over Guida was impressive, but he's not a top 10 guy. I think after a loss to Florian, he'll have to accept less. If he does pull out the upset, the UFC will have to get out their checkbook.




Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
Maybe you should tell him so. He does hold a victory over the UFCs current LHW champion in Forrest Griffen.
You right he did win a controversial decision 2 years ago. Unfortunately Forrest Griffin (spelled correctly) has grown exponentially as a fighter since then, and Tito's skills have diminished. He just looks flat in the cage. He doesn't have the explosiveness, that he used.



Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
If it doesn't matter what I think than why do you continue to engage in this debate? Sounds to me like it matters to you.
I'm really bored. That's why.
rockybalboa25 is offline   Reply With Quote