Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

How to gain muscle?

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Zapatista 
#1 ·
Well, i weigh at 120 pounds at 14, but i'm not sure the ammount of weights i shud be bench pressing..Currently on my spare i'll do around 20 sets of 10 at various posistions with 45 pounds...-_-'

#2 ·
How big are you, height? weight? and your only fourteen so....If your into mma work on technique (ju jitsu, muay thai,) Your strength and size will come along more as you go through manhood...That's my oponion, it's not necessarily right?

#3 ·
What are your exact goals? Are you really scrawny and looking to put on some pounds? Or are you average size guy and you want to put on more muscle mass AND increase strength?
The reason I ask is adding mass is easy to do, but training and conditioning for increased strength for MMA is alot different.

#6 ·
I've tried everything to add mass. This is what worked for me. Do a split-routine workout. For mass you will need to do as much weight as u can for 6 reps on most exercises except for calves, forearms, abs, traps. Also when you do your legs shoot for around 8 reps. Just my 2 cents it worked for me and I learned it from a former nationally ranked powerlifter.

#7 ·
heavy weight, low reps + protein= Great success
and two 45lbs dumbells is pretty good!!!!! i am about the same weight and only 13 but I am only around almost 40's for 10 reps....

Reactions: Spartan42
#8 · (Edited)
ty for all your suggestions ^_^ and yea...i can't gain weight for some reason..i eat alot yet weight doesn't add on...

Edit:Btw how much should i be benchpressing atm? at 124 pounds or 123..i'm not too sure that was last night

#11 ·
Ive been pretty scrawny for awhile, rigth now Im 18 6'2" and 137lbs approx. Ive recently started doing some heavier lifting and its beginning to pay off, everything said above is good stuff.

Reactions: cabby
#12 ·
I'm guessing since you're 14 that you're still in a gym class a few times a week at school. If you really try hard in your gym class you can be burning a ton of calories (depending on what you are doing in class), which could be one of the reasons why you can eat a ton and not gain any weight. I was in the same boat in high school (I was around 6' 3" and 135 lbs to 150 lbs.)

But being as you're so young, I would highly recommend what a few others have said, and that is to practice your technique and get it down now and worry about weights in a year or so. If you want to get stronger, do body weight exercises (such as pushups, body-weight squats, etc.). I've read articles about how lifting weights too heavily when you're that young can screw up your body and I've read articles that said it won't (I used to work with somebody who said he was flat footed because he lifted too much weight too young while his body was still growing).

If you still want to add mass, then I'd suggest protein shakes and possibly the supplements that are mass gainers (I don't know their real name). Also, to pack on the calories (since you need more calories than your body uses to maintain itself in order to gain muscle) I'd recommend getting some of the drinks that people trying to lose weight use (I currently have Boost) but instead of using it as a meal, drink it in between meals. The one I have is around 320 calories per serving and it's around 8 oz. so just 1 to 3 on top of what you already eat should help with that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.