Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Rashad Evans: "There are many holes in Chuck's game"

7K views 111 replies 61 participants last post by  Warchild 
#1 ·
New interview with Rashad Evans. He talks about his win over Chuck, the criticism he's received about his celebration and his title challenge with Griffin.

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content3428.html

On his fight with Liddell...

"I was definitely frustrating him. He was real upset I was moving like that because he couldn’t punch like he wanted to, you know?"

"After he hit me, I was like, 'Ah man, that’s it?' I knew I could take the power of his punch. When he cracked me, I was kind of circling and he dropped the right hand right on my chin and I was like, 'Man, that’s it?'"

"Honestly, I was trying to catch him with that left hook. Yeah, I was really trying to land that because Chuck always finishes with his left hand low so I knew the right combination would catch him."

"Yeah, there are many holes in Chuck’s game. First off, just not bringing his hands back to home base..."

"I knew I had to be the last one throwing punches. I couldn’t be the one to let him finish the combination off on me."

On a title clash with Forrest Griffin...

"If you credit a fighter with anything, you have to credit Forrest’s heart."

"I’m excited to fight somebody a lot like myself. We were both Ultimate Fighters and now its Season 1 vs. Season 2."

On the criticism he's received about celebrating...

"To be honest, I didn’t celebrate at all to be honest with you. I did a little inside joke with my people and that was about it. I didn’t get up and run around the ring with my arms spread out like the Iceman does."

"It’s so funny how people seem to forget how every single time Chuck knocks anybody out, whether it be Randy Couture, Tito Ortiz or Babalu, this dude is running around the ring like a mad man screaming, but when I do what I do, they get mad at me and say I’m cocky for celebrating."

"If you think about it, it’s like this, I’m not a white dude. My fighting style, that’s not how I move and they’re mad at me because I’m black. I got soul or rhythm or whatever you want to call it, but that’s just how I get down."

"Everybody does something. Like Anderson Silva does his dance, Thiago Silva does the throat slash and Brandon Vera does his Hawaiian surfer dance. Everybody do they own little thing, but they don’t want to say that at all. I do a little dance and they’re like, 'Oh my God that’s excessive.'"
A lot more in the full interview:

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content3428.html

#5 ·
I remember some whining about his head movement during the fight but nothing about what he did after the win. I don't even remember what he did. Did he kiss a white woman or something? Because that is simply unacceptable in this day and age.

#3 ·
"If you think about it, it’s like this, I’m not a white dude. My fighting style, that’s not how I move and they’re mad at me because I’m black. I got soul or rhythm or whatever you want to call it, but that’s just how I get down."

I hate Rashad Evans

#6 ·
Wow. Unless this is taken out of context (as in a joke) then I really really don't like Rashad anymore. He was already kind of annoying trying to pull the racism thing on Tito too but now this? Seems like the only person who can't get over the fact that Rashad is black is Rashad himself.

#7 · (Edited)
I like fighters for who they are and what they have accomplished etc, i actually liked Evans but since now he has played the "because im black" card i am now a "hater".
Anderson Silva has never had such issues even before he was the monster he is now he has been well liked by MMA fans because of his skill/heart and nobility, Rashad Evans is a dick.
There are plenty of multi national, multi religious etc fighters on the Roster and some get critisim some dont but Rashad Evans is an ass because he gets about some opinions on his nipple twisting and running around the octagon.
Rashad Evans needs to take a good look at himself and wonder why some people think he is an ass.

#9 · (Edited)
I don't think a guy who got dominated by another guy with "many holes in his game" for the vast majority of the fight should really be throwing any stones. Heh.

I'd also like to give props today to Anthony Johnson and A. Silva, perhaps the only talented black UFC fighters worthy of any respect after this racist piece of trash Rashad's true colors emerge.

#10 ·
Of course Rashad, we are mad at you because you are black....

Reactions: Curly
#11 ·
The whole "the like to bag on me cause I'm black" is just stupid.

I won't go so extreme as to say I hate him now, cause that's just stupid. I gained a lot of respect for him in that fight and that doesn't go away because of one comment.

Zarlok, are you saying that he got completely dominated up until the KO? Cause that just isnt' how it went down in my eyes...

#12 ·
The whole "the like to bag on me cause I'm black" is just stupid.

I won't go so extreme as to say I hate him now, cause that's just stupid. I gained a lot of respect for him in that fight and that doesn't go away because of one comment.

Zarlok, are you saying that he got completely dominated up until the KO? Cause that just isnt' how it went down in my eyes...
mine neither....chuck won round 1 by pushing forward and landing a few shots...but rashad was definitely landing cleaner strikes in round 2

#14 ·
Rewatch*

I couldn't remember anything that Rashad did. I went back for a rewatch and he did next to nothing, he really just sat there like not much had happened :dunno:

I think Rashad is great. I don't see why people are upset with him for saying that he's black man, and they've got rhythm. I won't argue that. I'll be cheering for him against Forrest.

#15 ·
I actually dig Rashad more for his 'cocky showboating'. When they announced his name and he came to the center of the ring and hit a pose, I was like this guy is amazing. He just dances and smiles in the ring and I love it. I'm glad he's starting to reach his potential, as I was one of those who was pissed that he just wasn't getting better.

#16 ·
I'll be cheering for Forrest in that next fight. He has won the hearts and minds of fans without making comments about race. I'm not taking anything away from Rashad, he clocked Chuck clean, and should be given that credit. But Forrest is one of the most exciting fighters to watch and earns his wins in hardcore fashion.

#20 ·
If you think about it, it’s like this, I’m not a white dude. My fighting style, that’s not how I move and they’re mad at me because I’m black. I got soul or rhythm or whatever you want to call it, but that’s just how I get down
They're mad at you because you're a show boating dick that plays a race card when people don't like something you do.

Here is an example of showboating taken from the same interview:
After he hit me, I was like, 'Ah man, that’s it?' I knew I could take the power of his punch. When he cracked me, I was kind of circling and he dropped the right hand right on my chin and I was like, 'Man, that’s it?'"
That's showboating. You could easily have said "I was never in trouble", "He didn't land anything good on me"

But no. You want to point out that the KO king of the UFC hit you with everything he had and you were shocked that it was so weak. No doubt because you are so rock hard, Rashad.

I can't wait for this guy to disappear.

#27 ·
They're mad at you because you're a show boating dick that plays a race card when people don't like something you do.

Here is an example of showboating taken from the same interview:

That's showboating. You could easily have said "I was never in trouble", "He didn't land anything good on me"

But no. You want to point out that the KO king of the UFC hit you with everything he had and you were shocked that it was so weak. No doubt because you are so rock hard, Rashad.

I can't wait for this guy to disappear.

First of all, that quote couldve been taken out of context. If the interviewer was asking rashad in detail about the fight, maybe he was being honest and saying that he didnt think chuck hit as hard as he thought. There is nothing wrong with that. He didnt belittle chuck or any other fighter in any of his interviews, not even when he had his feud with tito.

And when did he showboat after the fight? he celebrated for maybe a couple of seconds then maintainted his composure... he looked like a champion to me.

fyi - I was a rashad hater, till after this fight with chuck. I gained a lot of respect for him and he's def going to be hard to beat for anyone.

#26 ·
So, the most genuine and straightforward character from the movie is the one you hate? Must be because he's black. :thumb02:

#28 ·
What a pathetic, pathetic comment to make.. And Chuck didn't land anything of real power on him anyways, and never hit him flush. So to brag like that is stupid, you KO'd chuck isn't that enough?

Why he has to try and bring rasicm and taunt Chuck more is beyond me.

I've never been a huge ran of Rashad, but after that fight i was quite excited to see him fight again, but now, guys an idiot, and i hope Forrest destroys him.

#29 · (Edited)
He wont beat Forrest, all im going to say.

He isnt going to catch Forrest with his hands down, and i really cant say who has the better striking personally id pick Forrest. Forrest is more dynamic with his striking, clinching and definitly ground game. he wont outword Forrest either. Unless he can manage to lay n pray for 5 rounds he isnt beating Forrest IMO.

#30 ·
All you complaining about Rashad's "showboating" and "racism" need to lighten the hell up. Everyone fights different, everyone celebrates victories different. That just happens to be the way Rashad moves when he fights, and that weird movement he did after the fight where he's walking back, holding his tits, I don't know what the heck it was but it was funny as hell.

Instead of criticizing Rashad's head movement and calling it showboating, you should be criticizing Chuck's lack of head movement and getting KTFO'ed the way he did. I was never a fan of Rashad but after watching the countdown I jumped on the bandwagon.

We need a real black man in the UFC, not Rampage's fake ass chain and his annoying howl.

#32 ·
I actually agree with Rashad. He has been accused of showboating many times before, and I do think its mostly because his cultural background is different. He's dead-on about Chuck running around the ring screaming like a maniac after his KO's, but Rashad gets called a showboater for literally just doing a little dance after his win. I don't think its that people are racist against him, but I do think a lot of white people don't "get" black culture and jump to the conclusion that his little dances and stuff are somehow very insulting to his opponent, moreso than anyone else's celebrations.

#34 ·
Uhh, actually, the general consensus is no one knows what the hell Rashad is talking about, since no one was complaining about him "showboating" with a silly dance. He's invented a bogus situation, and then even played the race card after his complete fabrication of reality.

That tired ass race card isn't going to give him any more fans, and I just don't think a lot of black people "get" it.

#33 ·
Yes, i totally think Rashad has such an iron face that he can simply laugh at Chuck's best shots. I mean, ofCOURSE those shots he shrugged off landed just how Chuck would have liked, and in no way were less than perfectly timed and aimed with full power.

I guess everyone else Chuck has KOed simply has an inferior ability to take a shot....probably because they're white, except for Vernon, as he's a disgrace to the brotherhood!

*raises fist*

#42 ·
I just want to say, a lot of people on this forum need to chill out. I see people claiming Rashad is a "Piece of Trash" now after reading this, way too go overboard people. Just because you may not see the racism he describes doesnt mean it doesnt exist. The Ice Man has many many white trash fans now. Many are ignorant and racist, dont know anything about MMA.

I'm going to use my experience watching the fight as an example. My friends and myself watched the fight at a bar in the town over, this was the town we went to highschool in many years ago so we recognized alot of the people there. During the fight there were endless boos for Rashad, some jackasses actually had 90% of the bar chanting "CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK". Unless these people have dramatically changed, they are racist just as they were years back when I went to school with and knew them.

I have heard numerous racist comments about Rashad Evans before he even fought Chuck, coming from his fight with Tito. The Tito fight had a lot of people from around here out saying some stupid racists comments. They werent "I HATE RASHAD CAUSE HE IS BLACK" They were more subtle like "Rashad sucks, Tito totally won that fight, that 'old racist word'.."

Oh did I mention we are from Rashads announced home town, where I thought the majority would be supporting him?

My point being. Sorry if It sounds like I am trying to Justify Rashads Actions, but just because some people are lucky enough to not witness the more ignorant people of this world does not mean they dont exist and arent criticizing.

#43 ·
Just so you know, everyone on this board isn't as sheltered as you might think.

I HAVE seen racism. And it is not booing the opponent of Chuck Liddell or Tito Ortiz. Those guys are extremely popular fighters and have huge fan bases. Hence, a lot of people will root for them against a newcomer / relative unknown.

Please don't add fuel to this fire by trying to justify that a guy that makes six figures in a single night is a victim of racism.

#45 ·
I dont understand why Rashad didnt just rush in and demolish Liddell earlier in the fight if his punches were nothing??!!
Ok Rashad you have the best chin in the LHW division and perhaps you should let fighters like Thiago Silva hit it clean so you can prove it....dick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.