Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Paul Buentello hits harder and faster than Chuck Liddell’

2K views 28 replies 25 participants last post by  No_Mercy 
#1 ·
Rashad Evans was our guest on this weeks broadcast of Pro MMA Radio. Presented by MMAmania.com, Pro MMA Radio airs live every Monday night at 9pm and features many of the top fighters from the UFC and beyond.

Also on the show, MMAmania.com Editor and Senior Writer Jesse Holland compared notes with host Larry Pepe on the Affliction/Golden Boy announcement as well as their picks for UFC Fight Night 15 “Diaz vs. Neer”.

The main attraction of course was Evans, who covered everything from his upset win over Chuck Liddell at UFC 88 to the infamous ‘Nipplegate’.

What I found interesting about his comments on Liddell was not just that he swung the overhand right a couple of times prior to the one that connected, but that the Iceman may possibly have a tell: A menacing facial expression just prior to striking.

Talk then shifted to life at the Jackson camp and I was surprised to hear Evans say that Paul Buentello hits harder and faster than Liddell. I know many fans may disagree but how many of us can say they’ve been hit by both men?

Rashad also maintains that he will never fight teammate Keith Jardine under any circumstance. I guess once was enough for those two when they clashed on The Ultimate Fighter Season 2. Speaking of TUF, none other than MMA Legend Dan Severn was instrumental in getting Evans a spot on the final roster.

His tenure on the show was a little tumultuous thanks to coach Matt Hughes. While he says the two are ‘cool’ now, he does admit that Matt’s showboating accusations have made that stereotype difficult to break.

I wonder if we’ll see more of that from Rashad’s brother, who will be a contestant on the upcoming season of TUF 8?

Tito is one fighter Evans would like a rematch with after “The Huntington Beach Bad Boy” tried to punk him in front of his wife at a UFC show.

Finally there’s ‘Nipplegate”, the strange but effective method of playing “Tune in Tokyo” with one’s self. I would get into the graphic details but hey, that’s what the replay is for. Take a listen!
Source-http://mmamania.com/2008/09/16/rashad-evans-paul-buentello-hits-harder-and-faster-than-chuck-liddell/

#4 ·
I can't speak on the difference between the power of Liddell or Buentello, because I'm a fan of both.

But I really don't like anything about Rashad Evans.

I'd love to see him get knocked out by basically anybody.:thumbsdown:

#5 ·
Well i mean is anyone suprised by this??

Paul Buentello in all fairness should definently hit harder then chuck liddel. He first of all has alot of weight on chuck liddel and on top of that he isnt a bad striker. In his last 18 fights 13 of them have been by tko/ko. The man might have started out being a submission fighter but now his hands definently have been doing more of the talking.

Another thing

**** YOU RASHAD

#6 ·
Man Rashad is a punk, i can't belive theres still that damn suga train here. Rashad seems to be disrespecting Liddell left and right and tbh chucks loss says more of Chuck then it does of Rashad. Seriously if that tell is in fact true then Rashad needs to stop trashing Liddell and start commending the real man who won that fight, Greg Jackson.

#7 ·
Rashad is going to feel the hard side of Karma coming his way real soon if he doesnt keep quiet. I never liked the guy and i DEFINITLY dont like him anymore since his recent dumbassed comments. Ohwell I hope Forrest subs his ass. Forrest held his own in Tito's gaurd and defended Tito's takedowns well. I dont see Rashad being able to impose his wrestling any better than Tito did on Forrest especially since Tito was a way better fighter back then despite the knee injury.

Rashad better not get KO happy and go looking to knock Forrest out either because Forrest will out work him for the UD. All around I think Forrest has more tools and should SUB Rashad in the fourth or take the Decision. But as usual im probably wrong.

#10 ·
I agree that he's jib-jabbing a bit too much lately, maybe his win over Liddell has gotten to his head. But am I the only one on this forum that actually LIKES Rashad? I don't know why, but I just think he's so different than every other fighter out there. I see nothing but these cookie-cutter fighters that all look, act and fight the same way...but not Rashad. He just stands out for some reason, and despite whatever quirks about him that seem annoying to people, he's one of my favorite fighters.

I don't know...maybe I'm just loosing it. I'll go ahead and prepare for some neg reps after this...

#12 ·
Hmm, Evans has a degree in psychology. I'm guessing he minored in marketing, too, since it looks like him getting in the heads of UFC fans is going to pay off big for him, buyrate wise. :)

Reactions: Don$ukh
#14 ·
Guys, relax. It was an interview. He didn't just say this off the top of his head unprovoked. The interviewer asks him to talk about striking with Chuck, and if you listen to the actual radio broadcast, you'll hear Rashad go on about how he was surprised by the accuracy of Liddell's strikes. "He's got heat-seeking missiles on his hands or something. There were a couple punches where I thought I was out of his range, but he still landed." He only mentions Buentello because the interviewer asks him, "was Chuck Liddell the hardest hitter you've ever been in the cage with?" So he makes mention to a HW that comes in and helps him train... really not that big of a deal.

The parts where he talks about his camp and the humility was pretty good.

"What makes us great is that we don't let our egos get in the way of each other. People come in and ask me, 'hey we hear you can't stop GSP's takedown' and instead of me getting upset, saying 'oh well Georges can't do this or that' I say, 'yeah Georges is a talented guys."

"People are reluctant to accept change. They don't like to accept that their heroes, their favorite fighters, might be getting old."

It was also interesting to find out that the woman screaming was NOT Rashad's wife. Wow, Rogan, way to assume the black woman behind you had to be Rashad's wife.

Spoiler alert - it appeared as though his brother did not do very well on the new season of TUF.

#21 ·
The parts where he talks about his camp and the humility was pretty good.

"What makes us great is that we don't let our egos get in the way of each other. People come in and ask me, 'hey we hear you can't stop GSP's takedown' and instead of me getting upset, saying 'oh well Georges can't do this or that' I say, 'yeah Georges is a talented guys."
How humble of him. lol.

Come on, man. I don't even LIKE Chuck. But Rashad does have an aura of arrogance.

The guy doesn't have a humble bone in his body. THAT's why people don't like Rashad. I'm sure that Chuck fans seeing their boy get hammered doesn't help his popularity with some folks, but I for one can't stand his attitude.

In this instance the Buentello comment was taken out of context. Great.

But the "They're just mad at me because I'm black." and the "Chuck hit me and I was like 'Ah man... Is that it?'" were not taken out of context.

He's a douche. If you like him, great for you. Some people like Tito and he's a douche... And not even a great fighter anymore.

But there's really no need to defend Rashad's doucheness. He has a huge ego, end of story. He's cocky and that turns some fans off.

I hope he gets humbled soon. Because tht giant ego greatly overshadows any skills he might bring in to the octagon for a lot of fans. Myself included.

#17 ·
Why is everyone still hating on him? He didn't say anything disrespectful in this article.

The only thing he did was to point out that Chuck doesn't hit as hard as a HW...

Seriously... He simply answered the questions asked of him by the interviewer. He could have given a completely boring and evasive answer that all these "classy" guys would have given. I'd much rather hear the truth and have it piss off all the Chuck nuthuggers, than have him say nothing simply to appear classy to the sheep.

Some people just need to relax and/or spit out Chuck's nuts.

#26 ·
he was just answering the questions i dont really see the problem:dunno:

ya the whole "because im black" thing was dumb. but who hasnt said a dumb comment before. rashad definitly gets alot more hate than he deserves.
It's because he's black.

#27 ·
Rashad tells it like it is. If he thinks Paul hits harder than Chuck and said it when it was asked to him, so what? Should he say Chuck hits harder even if it's not true just because we all like Chuck? NO

Plus, it seems his comment was taken out of context. You all thought he just came out and said Paul hits harder but the question was actually asked to him and he answered it in an honest matter, and I think that's something that can be respected.

Also, when he said he got hit by Chuck and said "That's it?" It's like when fighters say something like "He hit me but I was never in real danger." You guys just choose to interpret it differently and that is what causes to get your panties up in a bunch.

#28 ·
rashad is a punk and I cant wait until forrest puts him in his place

#29 ·
Get Machida on him. Annoy the shit out of him with his own elusive game. OR sick Rampage on him. My favorite...black on black crime!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.