Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

GSP vs BJ

910 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Grotty 
#1 ·
I would really like to see this rematch and think it would be an amazing fight.. yes gsp did beat him in the first one by decision but i think it would be a little different and that bj would actually train for this fight..what are your thoughts and would you rather see them fight or a rematch between hughes and gsp .. i think if anyone is going to beat him it will be bj penn

#2 ·
BJ is ok, but you forget he has been beat, and can be beat very quickly by St. Pierre. GSP has gotten so much better since their last fight, and there was that whole enigma about BJ beating Hugh and GSP hadn't. But that's done now, The rein of GSP starts.

#3 ·
JasonC said:
BJ is ok, but you forget he has been beat, and can be beat very quickly by St. Pierre. GSP has gotten so much better since their last fight, and there was that whole enigma about BJ beating Hugh and GSP hadn't. But that's done now, The rein of GSP starts.
Hehe, "he has gotten so much better since their last fight". That's funny cuz they just fought less than a year ago and this was GSP first fight since he fought Penn. I'd love to see a rematch though, when BJ is healthy.

#6 ·
I'm not really excited to see this fight a second time around! It didn't seem like anything was happening in thier first fight! BJ did some damage standing up but couldn't accomplish anything on the ground! Georges got some good takedowns but couldn't accomplish anything on the ground! They just couldn't go anywhere!

#7 ·
Bonnar426 said:
I'm not really excited to see this fight a second time around! It didn't seem like anything was happening in thier first fight! BJ did some damage standing up but couldn't accomplish anything on the ground! Georges got some good takedowns but couldn't accomplish anything on the ground! They just couldn't go anywhere!
That's true but remember Georges got a broken nose from the start which probably affected his performance and BJ was out of shape and undertrained so that affected his performance as well. I think it would be a much different fight the 2nd time around.

#8 ·
BJ has an incredible amount of natural talent, and his awards speak for themselves concerning his technique. On the other hand, it just doesn't seem like he trains to the level of some of the other champions. I'm a huge fan of Penn. In fact, I'd go so far as to say Penn's my favorite fighter. I like the guy's attitude of "just scrap."

On the other hand, if you're going to come in against a red hot GSP, or a ultra-trained Matt Hughes on the road to redemption, you better be in the best shape of your life. You have to have outstanding cardio and pack as much muscle onto a 170 pound frame as you can. BJ, for all his impressive talents, rarely comes into a fight cut and hungry. If BJ trained at the level of a Hughes/GSP style fighter, I think he would truly be unstoppable.

But wasn't it Penn who said training like that "bored" him and burnt him out?

#9 ·
it certainly would be a great fight for next year sometime, but realistically i see Serra and Sanchez (if he beats Riggs) getting the next 2 shots. BJ probably after that but he will need to beat someone first.
Bj would need to come in in the best shape of his life, if he does he has a very good chance at winning if he brings his A game. GSP is an amazing well rounded fighter. Bj has some of the best BJJ in the world - so it has the makings of a great fight. Bj put the damage on GSP in the first round so possibly it has showed enough that this could be a huge fight.

#10 ·
BJ is the only real threat to GSP.. but I think it's in GSP's corner...he just has to be smart and avoid the submission and he'll probably win.

BJ outstrikes GSP; but only slightly and I don't see a KO. GSP's strong enough and fast enough to take Penn down and score lots of points too.

So, I still give the advantage to GSP

#11 ·
You Are a Clown said:
I would really like to see this rematch and think it would be an amazing fight.. yes gsp did beat him in the first one by decision but i think it would be a little different and that bj would actually train for this fight..what are your thoughts and would you rather see them fight or a rematch between hughes and gsp .. i think if anyone is going to beat him it will be bj penn
Could definitely see BJ being a serious contender if he turns up fit this time just like he did when he fought Hughes, lets face it Hughes was very lucky to win that one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.