Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Is Vera that good or has Mir just never been the same since the accident?

2K views 33 replies 23 participants last post by  steveo412 
#1 ·
I was really surprised to see Vera beat on Mir so easily. I seriously wonder if Mir is not what he used to be since his accident? I mean he lost to Marcio Cruz, now gets destroyed by Vera. I don't meant to take anything away from these guys, I was just shocked since Mir looked in great shape!

#4 ·
In defense of Mir...

He was bad tonight, atleast showed up in decent shape. He's had some tough fights since his accident, he had a hard enough time doing cardio when he didn't break his femur, but you can only imagine afterwards. The one fight that was supposed to be easy was vs Christison but he made it a difficult fight because he was badly out of shape.

Considering the UFC heavyweight division is lacking, they should feed him 2-3 cans and get his confidence up on ultimate fight night or something. He's still young, it would be sad for a talented fighter to retire like this.

Reactions: Spartan42
#5 ·
TREY B. said:
In defense of Mir...

He was bad tonight, atleast showed up in decent shape. He's had some tough fights since his accident, he had a hard enough time doing cardio when he didn't break his femur, but you can only imagine afterwards. The one fight that was supposed to be easy was vs Christison but he made it a difficult fight because he was badly out of shape.

Considering the UFC heavyweight division is lacking, they should feed him 2-3 cans and get his confidence up on ultimate fight night or something. He's still young, it would be sad for a talented fighter to retire like this.
Yeah I like Frank Mir, he's a great guy, lots of ability but he's really dropping the ball lately, maybe he is finished

#8 ·
I think it would have to get pretty bad for them to release mir, he has a huge fan base and he is a former champ.

Having said that, I think things have gotten pretty bad and I really hope they dont let him go.

I agree with Trey B. above.

#10 ·
mir was in good shape...i really think vera is just a freak of nature...hes good as they come...i think hed run through some of prides lhw. he only landed one kneed and threw 3-4...if 2 had connected it wouldve even worse then what it was.
ive never seen that lil crusafix hold vera had mir in with both his arms tied up.
mir couldnt even hold his forearms together to block punchs...
........hands down best fight of the night.

#12 ·
yes thats true, the heart wanted MIR to win but the head knew he wouldnt. seeing as the HW division is weak it would be silly to let him go, he is still a very good fighter. He needs confidence, and he probably should fight a top 5-10 type HW like a Kongo - as suggested above.

He is still quite young and has something to offer i hope he stays around.

#13 ·
wtf drugs are u guys on Vera is older than Mir, Mir still has a long time to show his talent and get back into it if UFC releases him he should go fight somewhere else and after a few wins then ufc can rehire him hope they dont though but yeah goodo to vera be good to sylvia knock him out

#14 ·
Slamnbam88 said:
mir was in good shape...i really think vera is just a freak of nature...hes good as they come...i think hed run through some of prides lhw. he only landed one kneed and threw 3-4...if 2 had connected it wouldve even worse then what it was.
ive never seen that lil crusafix hold vera had mir in with both his arms tied up.
mir couldnt even hold his forearms together to block punchs...
........hands down best fight of the night.
Yeah, Vera is definitley pretty damn good and I don't think we've seen his best stuff yet IMO

#17 ·
Vera is just that damn good...and he'll only get better, though it is true that Mir has not been the same since the accident. My pinoy brother Vera will beat Sylvia when they fight, all Sylvia has on Vera is long reach while Vera outclasses him in ALL other catagories.

I just havn't been too impressed with Tim, props for coming back from that suspension and winning the title but he hasnt shown anything that would lead me to think he would beat Vera.

#18 ·
Frank Mir has never been the same since the motorcycle accident. No disrespect to Brandon Vera, he's good but if he faced the pre-motorcycle accident Frank Mir, he would've been in for a fight and not a one sided beatdown like he gave to Mir last night.

#19 ·
Vera is just that good:D Couldn't you tell? Mir was talking about how much bigger he was before the fight like it was to Vera's disadvantage. On the other hand, Vera is tall, great striker, faster than most at his weight. Vera was my pick ever since I heard of this fight happening. I told everyone he was gonna take it and even made a few side bets. Mir's time is over. Vera will make a great champ someday.

#20 ·
cabby said:
Vera is just that good:D Couldn't you tell? Mir was talking about how much bigger he was before the fight like it was to Vera's disadvantage. On the other hand, Vera is tall, great striker, faster than most at his weight. Vera was my pick ever since I heard of this fight happening. I told everyone he was gonna take it and even made a few side bets. Mir's time is over. Vera will make a great champ someday.
Hey not really the topic thread Cabby but how'd you like Diaz yesterday ... I think you and I are the ones on this forum who love the guy the most!

#21 ·
Slick_Fugitive said:
Hey not really the topic thread Cabby but how'd you like Diaz yesterday ... I think you and I are the ones on this forum who love the guy the most!
Not the topic thread? It says "Is Vera that good or has Mir just never been the same since the accident" Correct me if I'm wrong but I stated how Vera is that good just as the thread title states. How am I off topic? And yes Diaz did well I just want to see the damn fight

#24 · (Edited)
cabby said:
Not the topic thread? It says "Is Vera that good or has Mir just never been the same since the accident" Correct me if I'm wrong but I stated how Vera is that good just as the thread title states. How am I off topic? And yes Diaz did well I just want to see the damn fight
Chill, Cabby, I was talking about me asking YOU about Diaz when the thread is about Vera and Mir ... ah, OK, Pogo cleared that up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.