Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Anderson Silva to retire next year, according to him.

5K views 67 replies 51 participants last post by  dontazo 
#1 ·
Reactions: Walker
#2 ·
Looks like we are going to have another Frank Shamrock moment.

I can't blame Anderson there is noone in the UFC at 185 he needs to beat.

And honestly there's no clear guy outside of the UFC either I mean maybe if Lawler and Lindland fought the winner of that would be a guy he should beat but that's about it.

Reactions: wafb
#4 ·
Even if he wouldn't go for the belt at 205lbs because of Machida being there, I'd still like to see him have some superfights. Guys like Chuck, Shogun, Wand and Rampage. :(

#10 ·
I think he's more of a "I fight because I love competition" guys. At the moment, there just really isn't any competition in the UFC MW division. Although I'm sure you could make a point of there being plently of competition at 205.

#14 ·
This is really unfortunate. But if you think about it, what else is really left for him? I mean killing Rich Franklin twice doesn't get as much attention as it deserves, simply because it has been done. Before Anderson ran through him, Rich was without a doubt the number one middleweight and one of the premier fighters in the world. The fact that Rich could probably beat anyone at 185 except Andy proves that. There is not a guy at 185 that can touch Anderson. He's already beaten Hendo and Marquardt. I mean, as a fan of Anderson, I'd love for him to fight for 5 years, destroying anyone that may rise up to the challenge, but perhaps Anderson has other stuff on his mind.

After he beats Cote, he'll fight Okami again. He'll beat Okami, then fight the winner of Bisping/Hendo. Either he'll cash in with the Bisping fight or have a chance to remove any lingering doubts with a Hendo rematch. To push it further, let's say he fights the loser afterwards, clearing any doubts. I mean, there is obviously the chance that he could lose in these fights, but it is highly unlikely.

A fight against GSP? Sure, it would spark interest, but in all honesty, I think GSP would be outclassed here. GSP would try to take Anderson down, and will probably be successful, but Anderson will find a way to finish the fight. A fight against Chuck? Sure, it's a money fight, but I think it's pretty obvious who wins here. A run at 205? I think he has too much respect for Machida and Lil Nog to interupt that division. After all, I think Anderson feels he is hurting teammates like Paulo Filho by sticking around too long. Maybe he feels like a burden.

I think Anderson needs to sufer defeat to get re-energized. Although it is highly unlikely, given his personality and history, I think if Anderson gets too cocky and comes into a fight un-prepared and losses, he'll find a spark again.

I respect that Anderson is not whining or bashing fighters, he is politely saying how he feels. As a fan, it would be a sad thing, but we got to try and understand what he is saying.

#19 ·
Would absolutely suck balls. I'd take it with a pinch of salt though.

If he wants to test himself, there are plenty of fights to do that at 205 without getting in Machida's way, if Machida even gets himself the belt that is. But even then, there's so so many fights. Rampage, Wandy, Forrest, Chuck, Jardine, Rashad. I think it would be a damn shame if we never got to see exactly what he might of done at 205. Because when all is said and done, when people look back years from now, they'll see that, great as he was, he only really beat two elite fighters in his division.

#36 ·
That dosnt really matter though, nomatter what he does, he has had so much exposer nomatter what he does now there is money involed, he could still be a comentator for the portugese feed, he could open a very successfull gyms,
he could hold high proces training seminats, he could do commercials, he could Learn English, that would also open up many more opportunities.

#23 ·
While I tend to not participate in conversations about buys and such, I think we need to consider a few things. One, his early MEs(Lutter, Marquardt) can't be taken too seriously as they were his first tests and his opponents weren't the most marketable either. I don't what numbers the Henderson fight did, but that fight should be taken a little more seriously when comparing the numbers. I think if Andy pulls off good numbers in the Cote fight, he will be a good draw.

#24 ·
Well, I guess there is something to say about getting motivated, maybe knocking the crap out of guys does get old:dunno:

I could see him quickly dispatching Cote, Okami, and then letting Hendo take another crack at it. After that really he could do a catch weight fight w/ GSP maybe, but really it would be going to 205 for good. After what happened to Chuck against Evans its hard to say in 9-10 months if that fight would still hold up, big names but maybe thats all. I suspect Dana will offer him up something along the lines of a LHW title fight in Rio to keep his interest maybe :confused02:

#27 ·
This really is a good move for silvaits not neccecarelly a bad thing to go out ontop,
He accomplished everything he needs, most dominant ufc champ, #1 pfp fighter wins in both weight classes, and he will surley make a coupl more mile stones if he fights 3 more times,
I totally support his desicion and i think people shouldnt expect more from him

#29 ·
I don't think the Brazilians are the type of people to get into this because they like it. They may like it a little bit, but it's not to the degree in which Americans are.

Fedor's another example. He fights to feed his family.

I can understand why he'd want to stop, but I think he is a bit too young... much like Shamrock, but Shamrock wasn't making the amount of money that Silva was making.

I suspect a return some time when more 185's are out there to challenge him!

#34 ·
Somewhat reminiscent of Michael Jordan when he retired due to personal issues. But one would never know if he would have carried the team to another championship to add to his six rings. It's rare to have a fighter retire on top as the undisputed champion. As a fan it's a downer cuz he's amazing to watch. Absolutely amazing in his technicality. Only he can decide what he wants to do with his life.

Lets see how his next fights go. I'd like him to challenge for the 170 & 205 belt then retire and relinquish it to Lyoto.

For now, retiring as the only undefeated UFC fighter has a certain mystique and ring to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.