Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Anderson Silva will not retire until...

4K views 40 replies 26 participants last post by  Suvaco 
#1 ·
MMABAY said:
Arguably the best pound for pound fighter in the world rocked fans and fighters the world over with the announcement that he would retire in 2009.

“I’ll retire next year, I already gave my all. I don’t need to prove anything for anyone and within one year I’ll put my gloves aside.”

However it is now understood that Anderson will not quit until he gets US citizenship, and that having the backing of the Fertitas would give a massive boost to his application.

According to SunSport current middleweight champ Anderson “The Spider” Silva will keep fighting until he gets granted a Green Card by the US government, and not only that but he states that he is unhappy with the fights he is being given and wants to fight 6 times a year. UFC president had something to say about that

“He wants to fight six times a year. It makes my job harder but I love it. This guy and Chuck Liddell don't care, they'll fight whoever you put in front of them."

Silva's manager Ed Soares said that Silva wants the big, high profile fights wherever they take place, in or outside of the UFC.
Source:http://mmabay.co.uk/Anderson Silva wontg.html

Just give the man 6 fights a year so he doesn't retire next year.

#7 ·
MW Tournament anyone?

He could fight twice the same night, 2 title defenses in one night :D

Silva vs Okami
Henderson vs Maia

Then Silva vs the winner.

Then, 3 months later, LHW tournament

Forrest vs Rashad
Silva vs Wand/Shogun/Page

That's 4 fights, imagine they do it and he wins it all, wouldn't it be awesome?

#3 ·
Man, Silva is so awesome. I don't mean to nuthug, but I just can't help myself. He isn't just willing to fight the best fighters they can find at whatever weight they want him to fight at, he actually WANTs to do it. Six times a year. AND he's a class act.

I'd love to see him beating all of the best at 205 too and grabbing that belt - not because I'm not a fan of any 205ers (just the opposite,) but because it'd really be a shame if he retires before he really reaches his potential. I think if he applied himself he could hold the middleweight and lightheavyweight belts at the same time, and keep them for a few years.

#4 ·
Im far from a Silva fanboy, but the guy is so good its scary. And im starting to become a fan of his. Poor Cote, this fight shouldnt even be happening. Id like to see him fight Chuck. I think it would do HUGE numbers and there isnt anyone at MW that deserves to fight him IMO

#10 ·
Dude I'm married to a woman from Mexico and can tell you first hand its not that easy. We've been married for 6 years and have a nearly 6 year old son. What experience do you have to back up your claim cause my wife and son are having to live in Mexico while I'm stuck here in the U.S. because like I said, its not that easy

#24 ·
My experience is that I'm not American, I moved here 6 years ago, got the H1 work visa, workin on the green card, and then maybe citizenship if I wanna stick ard that long. Also, my gf is mexican and her whole family went through all the hoops, except they spent a lot of time here "illegally" while I had a legit white collar job sponsor and all. So I know both routes bit, and I've also scoured the INS website some, so I know my way ard this topic. But maybe I don't know everything.

#11 ·
The man wants to get paid. He's great at what he does, actually he's excellent at what he does. When I read the previous news about him retiring soon I knew there was something else to the story. He's not going to retire until he earns enough money that will have him and his family set for the rest of their lives.

Why do you think he wanted the fight with Roy Jones Jr.? Yes, I'm sure he's after the challenge as well. But Anderson is a family man, he's stated that he fights to provide for his family. In other words, he's the type of employee who works tons of overtime and is always striving for that promotion.

Well, that's the way I see it. Another humble champion like this that comes to mind is Fedor Emelianenko. Family man, who fights to provide for his family.

#12 ·
Sweet, this is much better news. I can understand what he is saying, beings how he hasn't been out of the second round in all of his ufc fights. On top of that he has taken almost no damage. Dude could fight the next day after almost all his fights.

I wonder if they have offered him some super fights but the other person has turned it down...

#15 ·
lol ok man if you say so. I guess what the government has told me during our process has all been a lie. You can't get a Visa just by getting married, you still have to go through the process. Sure he might have paid 25K for the woman to lie and marry him, but its not like they are just going to hand over a Visa cause he got married

#28 ·
dude, if you can barely afford to feed yourself of course it's going to harder to get a greencard than a millionaire. Despite the fact that this is an mma forum, you gotta get a job where you make more money, dedicate yourself to something so you can get your kid , it fucks a kid up to be away from his dad, trust me, I know.

#17 ·
ok, i thought you were saying all a person has to do is get married and then they get a Visa no problem. Our marriage is legit and we are having a terrible time getting our citizenship finished. My wife and our 6 year old son are still stuck in Mexico and have been since Feb., but the process has been going on for 5 years now. Maybe if I had money it would be different, but I barely have enough to live on, so it takes awhile I guess

#32 ·
Yeah, the web thingy trounces all. I wonder if Spiderman stores it in his belly or if it "auto-generates" when it's needed. :confused02:

Hmmm, I'll have to wiki that.

As for Anderson wanting to fight 6 times a year, all I can say is... :happy03:

#27 ·
Thats the coolest thing ive ever heard

if silva wants 6 fights a year, he should get the special treetment, he deserves it. that like every 2 months very possible but that means nearly every second headliner will feature anderson silva if you dont counf UFN's and filales.

gosh i love Anderson

#33 ·
While I would love to see Silva stay at MW the "big money" fights are not there. Fighting Cote, Okami, Hendo again, Bisping, Marquardt again is not going to net him big paydays. If he plans to stay in the UFC and wants the big PPV cuts he needs to have Joe Silva setup Liddell, Wandy, and Rampage matches.

I know he has said the LHW title is Machida's but he doesnt have to fight for a title. Guys like Liddell and the loser of Wandy/Page are not going to be in the title hunt so those would be safe fights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.