Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Jackson/Silva 3 could happen at UFC 93

2K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  The Dark Knight 
#1 ·
MMAJUNKIE said:
A UFC light-heavyweight fight between Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (28-7 MMA, 3-1 UFC) and Wanderlei Silva (32-8-1 MMA, 2-3 UFC) -- which will be a third career meeting between the two fighters -- may not happen at UFC 91 as originally thought.

In fact, the fight may not happen at all in 2008.

Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports discussed the bout in his latest reader mailbag feature. He said that it's a "very fluid situation" but that a reliable source told him the most likely date for the fight is now Jan. 31 on the UFC 93 SuperBowl weekend card.

UFC 93 is currently expected to feature a mega-fight between UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn and UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre.

As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) recently reported, Jackson had recently begun a fight camp with his new team at the U.K.-based Wolfslair in anticipation of a Nov. 15 UFC 91 fight date. (MMAjunkie.com was unable to confirm the new fight date with the team.)

However, given Jackson's legal situation, the later date would make sense.

Jackson, who faces two felony (and four misdemeanor) charges stemming from a July hit-and-run and subsequent police chase in California, has not fought since the bizarre incident and his recent split with longtime trainer and friend Juanito Ibarra. A few months before the arrest, Jackson lost his UFC light-heavyweight title to Forrest Griffin via close unanimous decision.

Jackson, who recently pleaded not guilty to the charges, is currently scheduled for a Nov. 3 court date -- two weeks before UFC 91 -- at which time he'll learn whether or not the matter will go to trial.

Silva has not fought since May, and a January fight date would give him more than eight months between fights.

He most recently picked up his first UFC win in nine years when he defeated Keith Jardine in quick and brutal fashion at UFC 84. He needed just 36 seconds for the knockout victory.

Silva owns two previous victories over Jackson -- one in 2003 and again in 2004, with both coming via knockout.
Source:http://mmajunkie.com/news/12841/report-rampage-jackson-vs-wanderlei-silva-could-happen-at-ufc-93.mma

I would rather see it sooner then later, but it does make sense if they don't want to interfere with Rampage's legal stuff.

#2 ·
I'm getting sick of waiting a year between fights for the top guys, does anyone even know when Forrest's next fight will be? The UFC signs these guys to a contract prohibiting them from fighting anywhere but the UFC, and then makes them wait 8 months or more between paydays, what happened to the last three cards this year supposedly being "the best cards we ever put together", they have a dream lineup of fighters signed, and the best main event they can put together is... Silva vs. Cote?????? No wonder the dude wants to retire next year.

#3 ·
I'm getting sick of waiting a year between fights for the top guys, does anyone even know when Forrest's next fight will be? The UFC signs these guys to a contract prohibiting them from fighting anywhere but the UFC, and then makes them wait 8 months or more between paydays, what happened to the last three cards this year supposedly being "the best cards we ever put together", they have a dream lineup of fighters signed, and the best main event they can put together is... Silva vs. Cote?????? No wonder the dude wants to retire next year.
December vs. Rashad, that news has been announced since Evans beat Chuck.

Calm down their sailor. Just like you said, the UFC has signed a TON of fighters and they have to spread it all out. And they tried to get this fight going for November but Jackson has legal problems, so there is nothing anyone can do about it. And I doubt that is why Silva is thinking of retiring, don't use your anger to assume things that are most likely false.

#7 ·
Well I think that while I would like UFC 91 to have the big co main event. UFC 93 is looking great. GSP vs BJ 2, Jackson vs Silva 3 you have the makings of a great card.

#15 ·
Yeah, but I think not knowing if you're gonna get sentenced to jail or have to pay huge fines might be a bit distracting to any fighter. I understand the postponement and while I'm eager to see Wandi back in the octagon. I'm also just super stoked that a fight is scheduled.

And to quote a silly man (Master P): "Hootie Hoo" I'm excited!!

#16 ·
Agreed. Rampage needs to sort himself out and have his mind 100% cleared. Because he's going to battle with somebody who not only beat him, but violently battered and humiliated him - TWICE. But I do think Rampage has improved a lot so this fight is likely to go either way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.