MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Judo vs. BJJ In The MMA World

View Single Post

Old 10-11-2008, 09:58 AM   #42 (permalink)
joppp
Welterweight

joppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level now
In MMA, you could also argue that both BJJ and especially Judo needs to be modified for sweaty, No-Gi action, so what we see in MMA is not the original martial arts. At the start of this thread, I was thinking of going "BJJ rulez da worlddd!!!", but now that I think of it several outstanding MMA fighters are primary Judo practitioners. But I still think even more fighters have BJJ background, statistically speaking.

But for instance Aoki is a BJJ fighter as well as a Judo fighter. And Fedor's style is obviously Sambo (but since the throws are similar he has been able to compete in Judo as well). I think that since Judo and BJJ are so similar, a good fighter needs to learn both.

But there's one difference: If say, a striker needs to learn how to not get killed on the ground, he wouldn't exactly go to a judo dojo and start to learn all throws and defenses with a gi. He'd start doing more wrestling and no-gi jiu jutsu. With that I mean people with Judo backgrounds seem to kick serious ass in MMA, it's perhaps not the best style to use to complete your game. At least not as far as I know.

Dustin Hazelett - I'm McLovin' it

"The second he hits me, I will crush him!" - WAND (WAR)
joppp is offline   Reply With Quote