Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Cool article about MMA acceptance and a gay MMArtist

1K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  tonypop 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Kinda fun read from the NY Times. Quotes from Dana and the Author went to UFC 74. Other than that it talks a lot about Felony Fights and a homosexual mixed martial artist that has fought in smaller shows and Felony Fights.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/23/magazine/23martial-t.html?pagewanted=1

edit: alright, sorry its late and i'm tired. That shoulda said "acceptance" in the thread title. if a mod would change it thanks.

#2 ·
Good read man - enjoyed it.

With regards to Felony Fights, I have never heard or seen this stuff before, but it sounds horrific. The description of the bout where the guy was out cold but took 5 more punches to the face and a jumping knee slam to the head is really horrible.

Events like that will obviously stay underground and I certainly won't be engaging in viewing any of them. I like the rules and the restrictions, its sensible and wise and we all accept that they are needed. I think we would be hard pressed to find a member of this forum who would want to go back to no holds barred.

As for the gay fighter - fairplay to him for being open about it, I honestly believe that there wouldn't be an issue if a gay fighter was to come into the UFC, you may get the idiots in the crowd dishing out some childish chants early days, but things would soon quieten down. In this day and age there really isnt an issue with it anymore socially and thats the way it should be.

Still, the UFC will continue to grow because they do the right things for the sport.

Reactions: Walker
#3 ·
pretty good read! i've never really thought about it myself. dont really care either.... not a fan of the "flaming, in your face type". i've watched felony fights for a couple of years now online. i never buy the dvd's, though. i have hundreds of street fights saved on a disk. they are great fun to watch with the guys between ball games on staurdays. the one in the orange orchard with "tommy", the guy who catches the knees while already ko'd is pretty gruesome... they show it again in slow-mo after its over and the sound it makes is nuts! i even have one with two skinhead nazi types fighting each other with nun-chuka's(sp), it appears to be an initiation of some type. BRUTAL!

#4 ·
Awesome article, it was really interesting throughout.

After reading I jumped on youtube and looked up "Felony Fights" and Jesus that stuff is brutal. I watched the fight that they describe in the article and it really wasn't all that enjoyable, it was just brutality for the sake of brutality.

I guess I have a new found respect for the rules that a lot of contemporary MMA organizations impliment.

#6 ·
“I was petrified, because I didn’t want anyone to find out. And I would try to be the toughest person around. That way, no one would suspect, no one would ever say it, no one would think it.”
I know a couple of guys who should definitely pay attention to that part. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I saw the fight with the dude doing a jumping knee slam to the head and it is really, really disturbing.

#7 ·
Good read. I actually know the fight he was talking about, I watched it on youtube.

Had no idea he was gay, but thats good to know? lol, doesn't matter one way or another to me. Apparently someone has a problem with gays? Im only 20 years old, but in my experience gay/straight isn't even a factor.

#12 ·
awesome article, i really liked it!

yeah the felony fights are pretty sick... i accually have the Shad fight on my hard drive. the Tommy fight disturbed me, that was just horrible. Another one i saw was a 2 on 2 fight that was just all wrong. one guy got knocked out quick, the the 2 start beating down the other.. KO'd guy starts moving a little so the guy goes back and kicks him in the face then back to pummeling the other guy.... look em up on youtube if ya like, but please no one spend money on that crap.

#14 ·
I've only seen one felony fight and that was a couple of years ago. It just so happened to be the one with the guy being interviewed. It wasn't as bad as it could've been because the bald headed guy showed some restraint and didn't pulverize the guy he was fighting.

I have no desire whatsoever to watch the other one they were talking about though. I don't mind seeing someone get KTFO but to hit the guy 5 times in the face and then drop a knee to his face after he goes limp is just wrong. ******* phsycopath.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.