Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Lesnar..

3K views 39 replies 16 participants last post by  bbjd7 
#1 ·
I'm new to this whole MMA thing..I actually just started watching it cuz of Lesnar lol. What do you guys think about him as a fighter?

#5 ·
I think he will be a very solid fighter within the next two years! he already has a very solid base in wrestling which many people say is the best attribute to have when coming into mma and should be able to pick up bjj techniques and defences off of that! Combine that with some solid stand up training which does seem to be coming along nicely and he has the potential to dominate the heavyweight division! Now if he does we will have to wait and see...

#6 ·
The guy has huge potential. I wouldnt be suprised to see him as a dominant champ in a few years time, but that all depends on whether we see similar sized fighters joining MMA.

As of now, he's just a strong wrestler. I was hugely p!ssed off with his performance against Herring. People can say it was impressive, and to some marginal extent it was. But all he did was wrestle him. He controlled him on the ground, but never once tried to finish the fight. He needs to improve his game to be considered a good fighter, especially with all the marketing the UFC have done around him.

He also needs to realise, and pretty quickly too, that this isnt WWE, and the majority of fans wont approve of his WWE post-fight antics. He needs to lose those, and gain some skills, and i'm sure he'll do well in the sport.

#9 ·
Phenomenal wrestling of course, and very good speed and decent cardio for a guy his size.

Not a very technical striker, but at least he seems to have pretty good power behind his strikes, which I guess isn't that surprising.

His ground game is more or less non-existent it seems, but I guess he can fend off some submission attempts just with brute strength and a little luck.

#18 ·
Ah ok, like Lone Wolf said I don't see Randy submitting Lesnar unless something like a guillotine or anaconda choke or something. I think Randy will be training submissions harder then usual though. Lesnar should be training hard to get decent submission defense.

#21 ·
Its actually alot tougher a fight for Lesnar than people are giving credit for. Lesnars best chance in the fight is the whole "Randy wont be able to take him down". Well, Randy's striking is better than Lesnars from the little we've seen of Lesnar on his feet. Randy has the experience, and has traded punches with heavyweights such as Tim Sylvia and Pedro Rizzo. He's a world class wrestler and was winning the fight against a much larger Ricco.

Lesnar, in my opinion, has to work on his striking, so Randy doesnt pick him apart on the feet, and also on his bjj, because contrary to what alot of people think, Brock WILL end up on his back. And we've all seen what happens when a wrestler is in that position. . .

#27 ·
Yeah, it was his finisher in the WWE.

Judoka, I agree. If Lesnar can get on top of Randy, I think he will control him. In saying that, Randy would still be dangerous from the bottom. I'd say Randy would rather the fight stay standing, if he could choose.

#34 ·
to those who say you were pissed at his performance against Herring....why?

why wouldn't he stick to the wrestling aspect of control rather than advance position and go for subs? he's a WRESTLER. he's very green in bjj...if would have attempted to put hooks in get Herring's back he would have been reversed immediately...even Lesnar's mount control looked sloppy....

we will probably never seen lesnar put hooks in ...ever. why would he when riding the back offers more control given his skillset? sherk is the same way...he never takes the back bjj-style.

btw to the TS, welcome to mma

#35 ·
I was pissed at his performance against Herring because as i said, he didnt once try and finish the fight. I'm not saying i expected him to try to submit Herring, that would have been extremely stupid on his part, but he barely threw any punches to the head or body, and when he did, they werent thrown with any conviction. He was happy to ride out a decision, which i really dont like.

#39 ·
He could sharpen up his striking. Most of the time it looks like he is just swinging wildly Donkey Kong style hammer fists ect. Really just overwhelming people with his size.

#40 ·
When it comes to Lesnar it's hard to get a good assesment of his skills.

Some people just assume he is a fantastic MMA wrestler but what we have seen so far doesn't prove that. His shots haven't looked amazing in MMA. They've been solid but not great.

His striking has a lot of power but his techinique isn't good yet. His grappling has a lot of control but his submission defense is going to need work.

Also his knowledge of submissions is dreadful. He went for 2 submissions against Herring one was a terrible guillotine, and one was a RNC without the hooks in.

Lesnar has some good wrestling, and power but that's about it he will get better though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.