Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

If Andersen Silva retires to fight Roy Jones

1K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  XitUp 
#1 ·
If Andersen Silva retires I think it will be to fight Roy jones. If Roy Jones beats Andersen Silva in a boxing match, do you think it will hurt the UFC? As far as casual fans see mma. Also I think if he wins it would be huge for UFC (mma)

Any thoughts?

#2 ·
i dont think it would be bad for MMA at all if Anderson Silva loses, afterall, he's dedicated his training to numerous arts of combat, not just one.

Boxing, however, could take a steep nose dive if Roy Jones were to lose.

I cant see why Silva would want to retire from MMA to take a boxing bout, unless its something he's always wanted to do. MMA ticks so many more boxes than boxing in my opinion

#6 ·
i dont think it would be bad for MMA at all if Anderson Silva loses, afterall, he's dedicated his training to numerous arts of combat, not just one.

Boxing, however, could take a steep nose dive if Roy Jones were to lose.

I cant see why Silva would want to retire from MMA to take a boxing bout, unless its something he's always wanted to do. MMA ticks so many more boxes than boxing in my opinion
My guess would be $$MONAY$$

He'd probably make more from one fight with Jones than he has in his entire career up till now. I'd only give him about a 4 percent chance of beating Roy in a boxing match tho.

#8 ·
I think it has more to do with what he does after the boxing fight. If he then doesn't take any more fights, either boxing or MMA, then it means he had a little fun on his way out. If after the fight he continues boxing or tries to go back into MMA then it could speak about the limitations fighters are under when in a contract with UFC that could brew some bad blood.

But both of these are dependent upon him actually boxing Jones after he retires.

#9 ·
Not to take anything away from Silva as obviously hes one of the best MMA fighters on the planet....but wtf theres no way in hell he would have a chance against a professional puncher, nevermind one as good as Jones Jr. in a boxing match.

Silva would destroy Jones in a kickboxing match, a BJJ contest or an MMA fight, but boxing? No......no. :confused03:

#17 ·
I dunno maybe im naive but I just dont see the point at all in them ever boxing.

Roy Jones has done nothing but practice punching and head movement since he was a teenager. He is a world class puncher, KO'd many many guys.

Anderson Silva practices punching obviously but also knees, kicks, elbows, subs, TD, clinch, etc he is NOT a world class puncher by professional boxing standards by any means. No way in hell he could out-box Roy Jones.

If they fought MMA Silva best take it to the ground where he could win easily .....he wouldn't want to keep it standing and eat a combo from Jones with 4oz gloves on. Jones can clinch and dirty box as well if necessary.

#18 ·
Way to many people are thinking of a prime RJJ. RJJ hasn't finished a fight since 2002 when he TKO'ed Clinton Woods and hasn't finished a quality opponent since, well you find one. I'm not saying Anderson would win this but I think it's a lot closer then people think. RJJ still has fast hands (though not what they were) and his reactions are still pretty good but his legs are pretty shot. If Anderson stayed outside (does have a 4-5 inch reach advantage) and kept moving around I could see him doing well. He would have a training camp of a couple months to just work his boxing and I would like to see what he could do.

How RJJ does against Calzaghe will tell a lot about what he has left because his fight with Trinidad really didn't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.