Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Matt Hughes vs Matt Serra UFC fight likely in April 2009

760 views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  CornbreadBB 
#1 ·
Matt Hughes vs Matt Serra UFC fight likely in April 2009

By: MMAmania

Arch enemies Matt Hughes and Matt Serra will more than likely finally face off in the Octagon to settle their bitter score sometime in April 2009, according to Matt-Hughes.com.​

Here’s a snip from Hughes’ most recent blog entry:
“This week, I talked to Joe Silva at the UFC and a possible date for Serra and I is in April. I don’t know the exact date right now or venue. So, that is something that I can look forward to and I can set my training up for that schedule.”
Both former welterweight champions have been sidelined with injuries — Serra sustained an elbow injury in his loss to Georges St. Pierre at UFC 83: “Serra vs. St. Pierre 2″ back in April and Hughes has been nursing a knee injury that he suffered in his loss to Thiago Alves at UFC 85: “Bedlam″ back in June.​

Serra and Hughes — who are about as opposite as two people can get — were opposing coaches in The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 6 and were supposed to fight at UFC 79: “Nemesis” in December 2007. However, Serra had to withdraw because of a serious back injury.​

The trash-talking has heated up ever since.
The pair had been rumored to collide in January of February; however, this latest report debunks that scenario, which gives the duo even more time to yap about mixing it up once and for all.​

No firm date, location or event number for the 170-pound showdown is known at this time.​

Anyone still pumped for this fight? It seems like ages since this orginal fight was supposed to go down. Hughes has since been demolished by GSP and then Alves. Serra has only fought once- losing to GSP- after winning the title and going on TUF as a coach.​

If this fight does go down how pumped will you be for it? Is this Hughes' last fight? Win or lose what will happen with Serra- a move down to LW?​

#2 ·
Serra should move down.

Yes i'm pumped for this, I want Hughes to go out on a win.

#3 ·
This fight is going to be tough to choose. After these two guys have talked so much crap. I used to be such a big Hughes fan until he was on the TUF show and acted like a weiner. Even though Serra put Lehman in his place he still talked so much crap behind Hughes back. I am really on the fence on who I want to win.
All that said I think Serra will pull this one out on a decision as Hughes hasn't "changed with the sport" enough.

#7 ·
This feels like Hughes is being pulled out of a quasi-retirement just to settle a score. I don't know why but it all just seems fabricated for some reason. Neither one will likely be contenders anytime soon, and the winner of this match won't be catapulted up in the ranks at all, so in all honestly is just seems to be a pointless match. If all these two guys want to do fight, then do it in a parking lot somewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.