Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Kamikaze145's Log

7K views 46 replies 5 participants last post by  kamikaze145 
#1 ·
I figure I might as well start one of these. My name is Jeremy Myers, I am 5'8" 160 and I fight at 145.I am 19 years old.I train at Walker MMA in Dayton Ohio. I wrestled for three years in high school. I work out at the YMCA. I will start my log tomorrow, it will be nice to put this down in writing and maybe get some feedback because I know there are some knowledgeable people on the forum.

#2 ·
Thursday November 13th 2008

I just got off work and I am about to head out to wrestling practice. I go in and work out with my high school team on occasion to keep my wrestling sharp and this is one of those days. I am fortunate enough to have state champion, All-American, and 1996 Olympic Alternate Joe Maiani at my disposal so I will pick his brain as always and get some world class technique from him. I am about 9 days out from my fight so I need figure out where I stand in terms of weight and I will do that tonight. My rough estimate is I weigh about 158-160 pounds right now, so this practice will help me shed a few of those in my quest to 145. I will update you with how the training session goes later tonight.

So wrestling went pretty good. I weighed out at 157.5. I want to cut about 10-12 pounds next week so I am on schedule. Just a lot of live wrestling and drills. We did some situation, and some running at the end. Just your basic pre-season wrestling workout. Tomorrow is open mats at Walker's and all the guys usually show up for those so it should be a good session, I will post on it again tomorrow night probably around ten.

#3 ·
So tonight we did Neal Craft's "conditioning hell" which consisted of 250 half pushups, 250 Body Squats, and 250 Crunches and then 15,10,10,5,5 pullups. After that I got in 3 (3) minute rounds of mma sparring in the cage with a guy named Jeff who is right around my weight. Then myself, Neal Craft(bjj blue belt under Jorge Gurgel, 14-1 amateur record and makes pro debut next saturday), Yancy Martin(7-5 Amateur mma record), and Jeff all got around the big heavy bag which probably weighs like 500 pounds and threw 10 jab/cross, 10 lead hook/uppercut, 10 jab/elbow, 10 cross/hook/rear kick, 10 jab/cross/rear kick, 10 rear kick, 10 lead kick, 10 cross/hook, 10 double rear kick combinations. Then we went over armbars from guard and some little tricks like sweeping opponent to their back and sneaking out the back door as well as a triangle setup if the armbar setup isnt working as planned and then we just rolled for a while. Good workout overall I didnt check my weight because out scale is not too accurate but I figure I weighed out at something like 155.5-156.5.

#4 ·
Saturday was an off day and today was a workout at the YMCA to start off my day. 1 1/2 miles on the tread mill at varying speeds and inclines. Then a light full body workout that consisted of Pull ups, chin ups, bicep curls, tricep pressdowns, split jumps, DB shrugs, front and lateral raises, upright rows on a machine, and seated leg curls. Just one set of everything to work out some soreness and keep from losing too much strength from cutting.

About an hour and a half after that workout I went to Dehart's for wrestling. A nice drilling session followed by some live wrestling and a good sweat. I am going to focus on wrestling this last week because its really good for my weight and I need to get my takedown defense really sharp because I dont want to end up on my back. At the end we did four sets of pushups. One set on pushup bars, one set on a ball where we would like hop over from side to side using our hands, one set of wall pushups from a handstand, and one set of ten sprawl pushups. Then finished up with a few minutes of jumping rope to keep the sweat going. Weighed out at 153 so I am getting down pretty well. Tomorrow is back to the Y and some more wrestling.

#5 ·
I weighed out at 151 pounds today which is great and way ahead of schedule. It looks like my final cut in the sauna is going to be pretty easy. Today I ran a mile, and rowed 2000 meters on a rowing machine and then did a little bit of back and tricep work. I finished with some planks.

My second workout of the day was wrestling pratice which was drilling of head inside singles with any finish and some drop doubles and then some live wrestling on the feet and on the mat. Mostly for weight. At this point my only concern is weight, I am in shape and I dont really have any specific work to do its just about making the weight and fighting now.

#7 ·
Thanks a lot walker. Its funny my coach's name is Walker and my gym is called Walker MMA. Anyway today was a light cardio workout of about a mile run, ten minutes on a stair stepper and ten minutes of jump rope. I actually went up in weight a little but I saw no point in starving myself this early in the week. I am still a little ahead of schedule as far as weight and weight is really my only concern at this point.

#8 ·
So last night was my last hard workout. I went to the Y and knocked out a mile run, 1,000 meters on the rowing machine, and some jump rope. Then I went to Dehart's for a good hard wrestling workout and I weighed out at 149.5 pounds so I am getting down really low. In case you are wondering, no I do not always do this much wrestling I just find that it is the best way for me to get the weight off because wrestling rooms tend to be extremely hot and help me shed the weight and I learned weight cutting from wrestling so its kind of my comfort zone as far as losing weight goes. My mma practices are good but my facility is just not that hot and I dont lose nearly as much weight.

Anyway today I am going to bust out the sweat suit for a YMCA workout and then tomorrow is the sauna and that will be my last two workouts before the fight.

#9 ·
Well I hit the sauna, a light wrestling practice, and about 3 miles or running last night and im right on weight I may have to cut like 1/2 pound at the venue but whatever, I just really need to eat and drink I am very dehydrated. I would go into more depth but I havent cut weight since last year and I am pretty irritable.

#10 ·
I am going to give like a little mini diary of how the whole day went. Got to the arena at 11:30 and weigh ins were supposed to be at twelve. twelve came and passed and the commissioner did not show up until 12:40. Pretty ridiculous when you have a bunch of guys hungry from cutting weight. Anyway the commission finally shows up and we do our fighter licensing, some national database licensing, and a little medical form and we get to check out weight. Pro fighters weigh first, they had their weigh in the night before but they have to weigh within 13 pounds of what the weighed in at I guess to restrict mass amount of weight cutting/gaining to ensure similar size in the fights.
Then the amateurs got to weigh in and I weighed 144.5 and then started to feast. My opponent was a pound over so he had to cut. Good for me because while he was cutting I was feasting. I just hung out at the arena with some teammates and friends for the next few hours and at 4:00 we had out physicals which were not too extensive and that was nice. Then at 6:00 we had a fighter's meeting that consisted of rules, referees expectations, judging, suspensions, etc...

Then we headed to our locker rooms and got into our gear and the fights started at 7:30. The problem was the rules meeting took so long my coach did not really have the time he wanted to tape everyone's hands and everything. Luckily Josh Souder(IFL Veteran) was there and he helped us out with our taping. I was the sixth fight so after watching a few of my training partners win their fights I gloved up and my opponent walked out first. Then I came out to a chiodos song. I had no nerves at all which was a welcome surprise. We came out and touched gloves, then I landed an outside leg kick and then a spinning back kick to the body and the guy kind of rushed me so I circled into the center of the cage. Then I landed a short right hook on his eye and then threw a hard left kick to the body and it landed flush, but he kind of caught the kick so I punched him a few times and he just kind of dropped the leg and stood there. Then he just dropped to the ground clutching his stomach and I went in for the kill but the ref hopped in and saved him. I gave the old celebratory backflip and the guy I was fighting layed on the ground for a while then finally got to his feet and we left the cage. My coach was ecstatic because he is a muay thai guy. The ringside doctor did not even check me he asked me if I broke a sweat and I really didnt so he just said to go on. Then I spent the rest of the night watching fights and binge eating. Really fun night, Kind of sucks to train so hard for a 27 second fight but thats certainly not something to complain about. I am cleared to fight whenever so I am going to start looking for another fight right away. Patrick Barrantine(pro heavyweight) approached me after about training at another gym(he also trains at my gym) and introduced me to Josh Souder and he gave me some info about the gym and told me to come down. I dont have a car and Barrantine lives near me and is going to give me a ride down there every day. It is a very nice place its called Prodigy training center and Bas Rutten coaches down there as well as many olympic wrestlers and other world class dudes so it should work out real nice. Now I just gotta get back in the gym and start prepping for the next one.

#12 ·
Tonight was open gym, mostly muay thai but also some groundwork. Started off with me and Yancy throwing combos on the heavy bag and him helping me with technique. Then we got the kick shields out and threw teep/body kick combos then inside and outside leg kicks. Then we worked counters to the thai clinch which was some awesome technique and then countered jabs with head inside singles. Then we rolled for about 40 minutes. Started off by getting submitted about 5 times in 10 minutes by Neal Craft and felt like a turd but he is a huge 170 pounder who weighs 193 right now and he is pro and very technical and powerful. Then I rolled with Yancy and we had a very high paced roll with lots of scrambles. He mounted me a few times and did a good job of holding the mount and had a few close armbar attempts. I had a tight triangle but he exploded out of it and I also had a very deep anaconda choke and I rolled him all the way over and walked toward his feet but he got my grip off. I have been having a lot of success lately with the anaconda from the sprawled out position. Neither of us finished any subs though. I finished off with a guy named Jeff who is not good on his feet at all but he is really quite competitive on the ground, good wrestler and decent jiu jitsu. We scrambled around a bit and he locked in a very tight triangle from top but I managed to sweep him but was still stuck in the triangle I was about 2 seconds from tapping when I was finally able to posture up out of the triangle. I ended up just getting him completely exhausted and finishing a kimura from north south but he was so tired he did not even really fight it.
I also found out I have a fight Dec. 20th in Kentucky. It is an amateur fight but with pro mma rules which is awesome, I have been itching to kick someone in the head lol. The only thing is I am also fighting Dec 13th in Cincinnati so I am going to have to force this fight to the floor and get a submission because I cant afford to get banged up fighting twice in two weeks and three times total in one month. I honestly dont care though this is what I want to do and hopefully I am healthy enough after the ICE show to compete in Kentucky as well.

#14 ·
thank you. Honestly, I have only been formally training for like 2 months. I went to Jorge Gurgel's like 10 times last year and then started training at Walker's about a month ago and got a fight immediately. But I have been rolling with guys who fight, and learning as much as I can through instructionals, books, etc... for like 4 years and I have been sparring with whoever I can that whole time and hitting pads etc.. I also wrestled for 3 years but I geared my wrestling style toward mma.

#15 ·
Geeze I am getting lazy on this thing. Last night was like 500 kicks on the heavy bad with my muay thai coach Kru Rob Walker critiquing me and fixing my technique. I feel like I get better everytime I work with him. Then we rolled and Neal helped me with some half guard options(mostly sweeps and kimura defense) that I have been struggling with and I showed him some mma useable single leg counters. Also drilled some knee bars.

I also lifted at the y did some squats and a bunch of full body functional type stuff. Legs very sore today from combo of squats/kicks. Today I had one day drill for the reserves so I just switched today to my rest day instead of tomorrow. I will probably just do light pad work tomorrow with my bro because the gym is closed on sundays and probably hit up the y for some cardio. Not having to cut to 145 for this fight is great especially around the holidays. :thumb02:

#16 · (Edited)
hey dude man your training looks like alot of fun and very helpful. I liked your fights too, I fight just like I do. Your better at it but im just one week comin back after a 6 year layoff. I hope some day i could train with you or fight you.

#17 ·
hey dude man your training looks like alot of fun and very helpful. I liked your fights too fight just like I do. Your better at it but im just one week comin back after a 6 year layoff. I hope some day i could train with you or fight you.
Thanks a lot man, yeah it would be sweet to have an mmaforum vs. mmaforum member fight someday haha or yeah we could train together when we both make it big.

#18 ·
ya dude we could both wear out mmaforum shirts and stuff and people would be like "hey I used to be MOTM". Ya I'm kinda thinkin of taking just one fat pay check and road tripin somewere in the states real good training facility. Vancouvers not bad and I love it here but mma kinda banned and the gyms are b class at best. I would assume ohio would have good training. The states put alot more money in the sports than Canada does.

#19 ·
Oh yeah, Ohio would be a good place to go. Just off the top of my head there is Jorge Gurgel's place which is really nice and their instructors are great. Especially for submission grappling they have Jon Stutzman who is a black belt. I have never worked with him but they also have a brown belt named Dan Doerner who is an absolute stud and really good at no-gi. Everything I ever learned from him was very useful for mma. There is Griffon Rawl where Jason Dent trains and then Prodigy in Springboro Ohio which is where I now train and it is half-owned by Bas Rutten and we have Jim Kelly as our bjj coach(black belt under Rickson Gracie, lived with him for four years), Josh Souder is one of the pro fighters and there are nothing but world class wrestlers. We are actually trying to get the rings and be an olympic training facility so its awesome and probably the nicest place you will ever see.
Plus as far as fighting goes Ohio's scene local circuits are super active. NAAFS has an event almost every weekend there there is ICE in Cincinnati that is pretty much monthly and there are fights in Toledo, Columbus, and Dayton on a regular basis as well so you can fight whenever you want here. Overall, Ohio kind of sucks but as far as fighting goes its hard to beat.

#21 ·
did some muay thai thursday it was a very good class I learned some technique and got some good work done. Started off with "kick sparring" which was like 50% or so throwing leg kicks to the inside and outside and having thai coaches walking around correcting technique then we brought the kicks up to the body then threw teep kicks and push kicks. Then shadow boxing which was good conditioning because coach would call out "sprawl" "punch out" stuff like that so it was good. Then we countered push kicks and jabs for a while then hit the heavy bag room for shin conditioning. We just moved into a new gym so the bags are like rocks I swear they are filled with water or something and we threw 75 hard kicks with both legs to the bag and the room is small and coach knows when you are holding back. It is monday and the bruises just went away lol.

Friday I just went to a jiu jitsu class that was taught by Jamey Toney who is one of Jorge's guys and we drilled a lot of armbars and pillow armbars and then flower sweeps followed by a lot of rolling. I finished a go go off my back! haha the kid has only been training for two weeks so its not impressive but its the first go go i have finished from my guard so I still felt good about it, unfortunately the level on comp in this class just was not very good but just drilling is always good. I finished up my workout with some lifting and combos on the bags but I went light on kicks to let my shins recover a bit.

#22 ·
You may have thought I gave up on this training log, but no. I have just been lazy and haven't been training. But I am ready to get in shape and get a couple more fights in hopefully in February and March. Went to a place called Trilogy for muay thai today. I went for the beginner and advanced class. The beginner class was just more of a cardio workout. Lots of pushups, situps, mits, thai pad work, mountain climbers, fun stuff like that. The second class was all sparring. Some interesting guys there. One guy named Liddell who was like a karate/boxing/judo/taekwondo style guy. I swear he kicked me in the face a few times and I have no idea where it came from. He also hit me with a sick side kick to the body that nearly crippled me. I also sparred with a good boxer who came from a san shou background who hit me with one of the worst body shots I have ever eaten. Dropped me for a good minute. I can still feel it and it was over two hours ago. Besides those brutal body shots I did pretty well. I sparred with some other guys too. I am probably going to go to the sparring sessions they have once or twice a week. I also might add that I am in very poor shape right now lol hopefully i can quickly force my body back into shape. More thai tomorrow at my regular gym, I will also probably talk to my coach about getting my next fight lined up.

#23 ·
More sparring. Today at my regular gym, Prodigy. It was me, Yancy (5-5 ammy 170), Keilan Daniels (6-2 pro 170), and Neil Craft(0-1 pro but with a 15-1 ammy record. Also 170 but walks at 195). I walk at about 160 and am the least experienced of all these guys so as you can imagine I got my ass kicked. It was three minute rounds with 30 seconds rest. MMA gloves because it was mma sparring. One guy in goes with every person then the second guy goes with every person etc until everyone has been in the middle. I did good with my rubber guard as far as keeping guys' posture down. I got submitted twice, once with a RNC by Neil and the other time by a calf cramp at the end when I was rolling with Neal lol. Did okay on my feet and got some good scrambles in. I am about as sore as I have ever been at this point. No training for like 3 weeks and then two days of hard sparring. Brutal.

#25 ·
Today I did some lifting, bag work, and bjj. Started off with a mile on the treadmill, then did some pull ups, dips, assisted pullups, assisted dips, some machine lifts like shoulder presses, and overhead shoulder presses, and then I did some sprawl to pushup to an explosive jump with DBs. Then I did some cleans. Then I went it got a few good paced rounds of heavy bag work.

Then I had bjj with Jamey Toney. We started off with a jogging/stretching warmup. Then we did a drill where we started off in knee on belly position and switched to the other side back and forth. Then we drilled a spinning armbar from knee on stomach and then armbars from guard and a new setup from guard. I really didnt like the setup that much it was too extensive and i just cant see myself hitting it in a live situation but its still good to have as much as possible and developing skill at submissions. No live rolling today im not sure why but it was still a beneficial class. I weighed in at 157 and out at 154.5 so my weight is way ahead of schedule which is great. My next fight is Feb 28th.

#27 ·
Yeah the gym is crazy. It's the largest mma training facility in the country. I did not even post pics of the bags or the other two grappling rooms or the other huge wrestling room that they keep at 95 degrees all the time. Its a great place to train, and since my coach is the muay thai coach there he got all of his fighters a deal where we only have to pay $100 a month which is awesome.

#29 ·
We've got Mojo Horne who just beat Josh Haynes. Not really a big name but a good up and comer.

Josh Souder who had a fight in the IFL.

Keilan Daniels is a solid pro who's only pro losses are to Chad Reiner and Brock Larson.

There are quite a few ammys and pros with one or two pro fights like Neal Craft who had a 14-1 ammy record so we should definately have some guys coming up. No really big names yet but lots of solid guys.

Our bjj coach is Jim Kelly who is a black belt under Rickson Gracie(he lived with him for four years) so thats pretty cool. The gym is half owned by Bas Rutten so he has popped in a few times.

As far as jumping into fighting quickly I did wrestle for three years in HS and the whole time geared my style for mma and all those three years I taught myself as much as i could bjj and muay thai wise and got some instruction from some local ammy fighters I am friends with and I trained at Gurgel's for a couple weeks my senior year in high school so I had a little bit of experience coming in. Just wait until you and your coaches feel comfortable with you stepping in the cage to compete and its better to wait than to jump in when your not ready.

#30 ·
Today was rough. I got to the gym at about quarter till five and left at a little after nine. I started off with some sprints, power jumps with a medicine ball, lunges with a medicine ball, and sideways lunges with the ball. Then I ran around the whole mat for about ten minutes sprinting the long sides and jogging the short sides. Just easing my way back into fighting shape.

Then I had bjj. There were only three of us and the instructor(Erin Miller today) and we drilled the spinning armbar we worked yesterday as well as a lot of other things from knee on belly mostly focusing on just controlling someone from there and using the position to setup submissions. I really like the darce from there if your opponent leans into you. We did some situational rolling and then me and one of the other guys rolled for about 20 minutes or so after class.

I took a thirty minute nap on the mat and then it was muay thai time. We started off with 20 laps around the mat. Then it was about 15 minutes of shadow boxing and the instructor(Mojo Horne) walked around and just threw out some pointers and yelled "sprawl", stuff like that. Then we got out the thai pads and went through a bunch of combinations and we did that for almost half an hour I would say and then threw 40 kicks with each leg in sets of 2. Thats a lot harder than it sounds. We finished up with 30 kimura situps on each side, and then thirty regular situps, and then 30 leg throwdowns. Really good class for conditioning which is what I am focusing on right now and good for technique as well as Mojo is a really good muay thai fighter and patient and good at pointing at technical flaws. My shins are really jacked up right now, worse than they been so I may be taking a day or two off of kicking anything.

Here are a couple vids of Mojo's fights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYZYXNAasr8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mWsZy8ARUw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGpilbe27MU&feature=related

He is fighting soon against Fernando Rivera very soon at MMA big show and then he is supposed to fight Cale Yarborough in March.

#31 ·
BJJ yesterday went over transitioning from side control to north side and a kimura from north south as well as really breaking down the kimura from side control. Also did some conditioning, hurdles, lunges with medicine ball, sprints, mile run on the treadmill, and power bounds with medicine ball. Today is more conditioning and some muay thai

#32 ·
Didn't go to the gym yesterday because of weather. All I did was some extensive stretching.

Today was bjj and muay thai. In jj we did a couple of guard passes and pretty much drilled them over and over and over again and then did some rolling. Muay thai we did some conditioning that consisted of wheelbarrows, piggyback rides, fireman's carries, and dragging your partner with underhooks from behind. Pretty much everything that is not fun. Then we did the thing where one guy stands up and you climb around him. Like they did on the second season of Ultimate Fighter and Joe Daddy and Mike Whitehead did like two hundred, after doing them myself I honestly dont see how the hell they did that so many times. Then we got out the thai pads and did kicks with both legs, then jab cross lead kick, and then jab cross hook rear kick and then we did jab to jumping knees and push kicks. Weighed out at 157. I am not really dieting or anything yet though. I also got some bjj tips from Mojo who just helped me out with some leg lock defense that I was struggling with and a go go plata. He won his last fight by the way and is now fighting Cale Yarborough in March.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.