Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Squat Technique

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Scarecrow 
#1 ·
I have problems doing the deep squat with the right technique. I cant maintain straigt form. Everytime Iam near parallel my back muscles begin to "shiver" and get a round back. I believe its a question of flexibility. Can someone help me? I really want to do real squats!

#2 ·
I'm thinking that either...

A.) You have a really weak back. Do you ever do deadlifts?

B.) You're using too much weight. The sticking point in suqats is right around parallel, so partial squats (above parallel) are much easier.

C.) You're using poor form. Try not to think of it so much as squatting down as sitting in a chair. Stick your butt out - as long as you're leaning forward a little bit the weight should keep you from falling over backwards.

#4 ·
My maximum dl is at 160 kg so my back is not bad. I know the technique but I cant mantain it. I even have this problem with just the bar(or even without it).

#9 ·
Try squatting into a chair to get your form down. That's how I did it, and it helped.

#13 ·
Does tight mean not flexible? I dont think my thighs are the problem because I dont feel it there. I feel it in my back. I will try the wall walk out of this video.

#16 ·
Thanks for the links. I will try the tips. One question. Why are my harmstrings too tight when my back rounds. I dont feel it in the harmstrings. I thought the problem lies in my back, not in my harmstrings.

@ burton I postet a video of mine squatting.

#17 ·
Your back is rounding b/c your hamstrings are tight. And the reason you're not feeling much in your hamstrings is b/c you have not learned how to properly engage them in your squat. Focus on pushing your butt back instead of just sitting down. Feel the difference in your hams?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.